1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

Use caution with scripts!

Discussion in 'Server and Client Scripting' started by zeroality, Jun 24, 2011.

1. zeroality

zeroality Artificial Insanity

There have been incidents of servers getting "hacked" and taken over. Nothing is getting hacked here. People are accepting and using scripts with obvious security flaws; deliberately planted by malicious users under the facade of helping with scripting.

If you are a novice and are unable to check your scripts to ensure that nothing malicious has been placed in them, then it would be wise to stick with the official PO server scripts which are open source.

Please understand that we are not and cannot be responsible for other servers. If you have a problem then feel free to post on our Help or Scripting forums. Beyond that, there is nothing we can do for you.

Feel free to post questions or meaningful information but let's try to keep the clutter out of this thread.

Edit: Oh, I thought it'd be relevant to mention that we recently deleted a thread because an user inadvertently posted a compromised script. It had a command, open to everybody, that would grant owner status to whoever used it then post a huge HTML message in the server declaring the new owner.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2012
  2. Donkey

Donkey Banned

Thats kind of funny how a command implemented like that could go unnoticed, but hey, people troll. (and hack)

3. Mystra

Mystra Active Member

This is not hacking as stated above.

4. Donkey

Donkey Banned

Well you know what i meant. Attemptingnto take control of servers doesnt have a large distinction from hacking - i know hackIng is finding security holes to insert malicious code or gain control of a system, so the i think its interchangeable to a degree

5. Mystra

Mystra Active Member

It does. Why this thread is even opened again…

6. Stoled_my_nick

Stoled_my_nick New Member

i'm sure you know that but when skarmpiss guys make servers crash, the server with 1.0.30 version aren't crashed, the ones with the new one are crashed.
    so control if you made some hole in servers security...(that probably happend cause anti-ddos wasn't going right)

7. [ƦЄ]Blade

[ƦЄ]Blade Not sure.

You can easily script something to prevent that.
    They use the Beat Up bug, however, this isn't the thread to go into detail about it.

8. Aerith

Aerith Banned

The Beat Up bug was fixed in the latest server download actually.

9. [ƦЄ]Blade

[ƦЄ]Blade Not sure.

However, the latest server crashes alot.

10. DarthKnight_54

DarthKnight_54 youMad?

Probably due to Internet problems maybe or just hosting problems for the user(s).

11. TheUnknownOne

TheUnknownOne Member

The link in the OP are the PO legacy scripts..