1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

Peaked #1 on Dream World OU - Jesse Starr

Discussion in 'Rate My Team' started by Ashton Michaels, Feb 19, 2011.

Moderators: Edna, fsk
  1. Ashton Michaels

Ashton Michaels Member

Genesect @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Download
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
    - Explosion
    - Hidden Power [Ground]
    - Thunder
    - Bug Buzz

Slowbro (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 4 SAtk / 76 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Thunder Wave
    - Slack Off
    - Ice Beam

Dragonite (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Multiscale
    EVs: 148 HP / 252 Atk / 108 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Outrage
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Brick Break
    - Fire Punch

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Seismic Toss
    - Stealth Rock
    - Softboiled
    - Aromatherapy

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Keen Eye
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Brave Bird
    - Whirlwind
    - Spikes
    - Roost

Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 164 HP / 168 Atk / 176 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Body Slam
    - Substitute
    - Iron Head
    - Fire Punch

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hi there,

I've gotten to the number one spot again, after quite a struggle to make a good team. I've tried all kinds of teams, but in the end I stayed with the following team that got me the top position. Furthermore, I'm not really a writer, so don't expect amazing paragraphs under each Pokemon, but I'm doing my best.

[​IMG]

Genosekuto @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Download
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
    - Explosion
    - Hidden Power [Ground]
    - Thunder
    - Bug Buzz

I chose Genosekuto for the lead position because it does very well against the lead Pokemon of opposing teams. More often than not, I will be facing a Politoed or a Hippowdon, so I start with a favorable position.

The Item and Moveset may both seem a bit weird, but I found they work best for my team. Focus Sash so I can take a Super Effective hit from opposing Pokemon like Blaziken and Scarf Heatran, so I can surprise KO them back. This also explains the Hidden Power Ground, it's mainly for Heatran, which caused my Jirachi and Genosekuto trouble, and I don't want it to set up Stealth Rock, which it carries most of the time from my experience.

Thunder is mainly for Politoed but hits flying types incredibly hard aswell, and Bug Buzz is there for STAB and just hitting very hard. Last, Explosion for another surprise KO against special walls, or alot of other things if you get an attack boost.

[​IMG]

Slowbro (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Regeneration
    EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 4 SAtk / 76 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Boil Over
    - Thunder Wave
    - Slack Off
    - Ice Beam

My bulky water choice, Slowbro. It is amazing with it's ability, Regeneration. Basically this thing doesn't really care about damage entries like Stealth Rock because of it.

It's a good counter for the dangerous Blaziken and Fire-types in general, Dragons like Garchomp and other Water-types. Thunder Wave with Boil Over may seem weird, but I like the chance of burn on things like special walls that switch in or Garchomps and Swamperts. The SpD EV's are to take Surfs better in the Rain from things like Kingdra, so it won't 2HKO me with Surf with Specs.

[​IMG]

Dragonite (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Multi-Scale
    EVs: 148 HP / 252 Atk / 108 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Outrage
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Brick Break
    - Fire Punch

The almighty Dragonite. Most people choose him over other Dragons because of his amazing ability, but I chose him for his resistances and strong Extremespeed. I needed something to finish of weak things, and since Extremespeed gets +2 priority, bypassing things like Mischivous Heart users, it's the perfect choice.

I also chose him, because I needed a strong Pokemon that can put the hurt on some of the more bulky set-uppers, like Rankurusu. Since my team was getting more stall-ish, I chose Dragonite to keep the offense in my team, so I don't lose to things like end-Rankurusu.

[​IMG]

Chansey (F) @ Evolution Stone
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Seismic Toss
    - Stealth Rock
    - Softboiled
    - Aromatherapy

Chansey as the special wall, and it does a great job. I chose Chansey over Blissey for the increased bulk, and the fact I don't use any special moves. Stealth Rock as a move on Chansey, because it always gets the chance to get it in. Also Aromatherapy because I hate status, and I don't really have a status taker besides Chansey, which can be bothersome when things like Breloom switch in.

[​IMG]

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Keen Eye
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Brave Bird
    - Whirlwind
    - Spikes
    - Roost

Skarmory goes well with Chansey, of course. This duo has been well known across the previous gens as SkarmBliss (Or in this case SkarmChance). This things makes sure I don't get swept by haxing Garchomps with Brightpowder, and Doryuzuu. This thing makes facing Sandstorm teams alot easier, and helps against Baton Pass teams.

[​IMG]

Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 164 HP / 168 Atk / 176 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Body Slam
    - Substitute
    - Iron Head
    - Fire Punch

And finally, the star(r) of the show, literally. Jirachi is my own little haxer, paralyzing things and flinching things like crazy. I had this thing as lead first, but with all the bulky opposing leads like Hippowdon, he didn't work as well there. In this spot however, he does alot better, when the bulky walls are weakened. Also a good counter for Dragon attacks like Draco Meteor from Latios.

And this is my team. It obviously has it's problems, like opposing Stall teams that can get their entries up quite easily, but I never had any problems with it, thanks to some of the surprising movesets I use.

Thank you for reading!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  2. GaryTheGengar

GaryTheGengar You Know My Steez

First of all, Great team man. I can't congratulate you enough on #1 (again), so i'm not going to bother xd

Onto a real rate, as I've been playing around with this team a little.

Skarm+Chancey+Slowbro seems to be enough to handle all the teams i've faced so far. I haven't gotten to use jirachi more than once. Geno hasen't done much, but is solid. I really like explosion on the set.

The weak link i've noticed so far is defidently Dragonite. It doesn't hit hard (suprisingly) enough to really do much damage. I tried to rk an infernape, to find myself doing 65% with xspeed. I know you rely on it to check rank (who I see a big weakness to actually), but I doubt you'll do much damage at all to it. CB TTar crunch won't even ohko all the time. I also notice a weakness to a standard rain team, who dragonite checks.

I would really suggest a rank check, but most rank checks just open up a bigger weakness to rain. I would go with a CM spiritomb over dragonite. I actually could CB scizor with quick attack helping. It also covers up a bit of a specs latios weakness.

To deal with this rain weakness, I would also like to suggest a different jirachi set.
    [email protected]
    Careful Nature
    252 hp/44 atk/204 spd/8 spe
    Wish
    Protect
    Iron Head
    Body Slam

This makes a fine counter for rain, and also helps vs rank.

Congrats on #1!

3. Lanza

Lanza Member

I like Heather Star better

4. NightShift

NightShift Member

A lot of people are gonna steal this :3. On to a real rate, why does Skarmory have keen eye? Personally I use Sturdy, even though there not a lot that can KO skarm, just saying. Sturdy is a little more safe imo when predicting over keen eye.

5. Wxo

Wxo Member

I'm stealing just because of rank 1. I've seen this team before when fighting with my sun team and swept it.

My ninetails used nasty plot on genos HP ground (they didn't notice the balloon), then switched out for chansey whom got 2HKOed on the switch in.

Dragonite came in and got blasted with a +2 sunthrower, but survived with about 60 HP. I sent out heatran for rocks and draogn pulse in the middle of an outrage. Heatran Kos dragonite while slowbro koed him. By that time, venasuar with giga drain + rocks + HP fire blew through slowbro, geno, jarachi, and skarmory.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  6. Lanza

Lanza Member

thanks for posting this
    i found some noob using it and of course knew exactly how to counter it
    alright i guess i'll criticise the current #1 ranked team then or something since the first half of my post was useless.
    what a novel genosect lead!
    problems I can see with it: your team is tuned for battling at the top tier. if you were to battle some 1100 rated noob, you might have a bit of trouble.
    you might have trouble with nattorei in rain too.

7. Ashton Michaels

Ashton Michaels Member

Thanks for your comments.

@Gary: I don't see any Latios problems to be honest. Spiritomb is nice and all, but like I said, I need Dragonite for the priority and resistances. I indeed have been thinking about switching Jirachi to Scizor, but found that Jirachi does better in my team, and also is able to kill Rankurusu if needed.
    And about your comment on doing 65% on Infernape; that's why I use entry hazards in my team, to weaken the opposing team enough so I can finish them off quickly. It's obviously not means to OHKO every single Pokemon with Extremespeed at full health..

@Nightshift: You are right, Sturdy is the better Ability, it's just that almost never comes in at 100 percent, since I switch it in on something. Besides that, I don't leave it in on things that could OHKO it. For these reasons I never really bothered to change his ability.

@Wxo: I can' t really say much to your comment, since you are describing the failure of someone's battling behaviour, and not the team itself.

@Lanza: You're right in that I haven't built it with random teams from 1100 rated people and below in mind (knowing that I'm not going to face them anyways) Nattorei is annoying sometimes, but usually falls to repeatedly switching into entry hazards or Jirachi or Dragonite's Fire Punch, which still 2HKO in the rain. I haven't had any problems with it, and I see it on 8 out of 10 teams on the ladder.

8. Contest Master Majin

Contest Master Majin Member

Hi Ashton; really nice team, I had a battle against Djheezy (do you know him? XD) with a very similar team, and had a really tight loss due to that incredibly haxy (I guess if it's 60% chance of flinch then it isn't hax) Jirachi.
    Not much to change, the team looks pretty much perfect. I do see troubles with things like Blaziken BPing +2 Attack / Speed to Feraligatr, but then that's just lol.

Hope to catch up to you soon :P

9. Archerknight

Archerknight Legends

PO Trainer Name:
    Archerknight
    I feel a healing move like Wish would help on Jirachi. It could also pass wish around the team. Nice team!

10. Ashton Michaels

Ashton Michaels Member

Hey all,

@Majin: Yea I know him, he's good. Also a +2 Feraligatr still won't get past Skarmory though c:

@Arch: I guess that could work, but my team has enough self-healing with Slack Off, Softboiled and Roost on half the team, so I don't find it needed to use Wish.

11. SonicTheHedgehog

SonicTheHedgehog New Member

I tested the team. Team has a big Zapdos problem. Zapdos sweeps entire team. Only Dragonite can rescue but hard to resist... I found another weaknesses but i don't remember. The biggest problem was Zapdos. Maybe i will write another threats next time. Good Team and Congrats on #1.

12. Burnin'Red

Burnin'Red Official Cookie Stealer

PO Trainer Name:
    Burnin'Red.
    I personally like this team, SkarmChans combo works really well and so does Para Slowbro, I want to steal it but I guess that wouldn't count as an "honorable" way to be on top. Nothing to add to it from my point of view.
    Good team

13. Ashton Michaels

Ashton Michaels Member

Yea Zapdos can be troublesome.

It can't really switch in on alot though, with Stealth Rock around and the chance to get burned if it switches in on Slowbro, or to get para'd when switching in Jirachi. I always have Chansey of course as my wall who can hold it off. Usually I can get it to 50 percent where I can finish it off with Dragonite.

14. Drigger

Drigger Fabula Nova Crystallis

This team is so close to mine and nuff love for USING SLOWBRO! who is Awesomely Awesome...

One thing though well it doesn't seem as if you want your Dragonite to live very long because it has no roost and your team has no spinner :x I guess it still works but with Dragonite dead you lose to Breloom especially if your Jirachi and Genesect has been KO'd because it just sets up and sweeps you...

what's your Breloom counter

15. SonicTheHedgehog

Breloom isn't a big problem. Geno can OHKO with Bug Buzz or Dragonite can OHKO with Fire Punch. Jirachi can KO with Fire Punch too and if sword dances get dangerous, skarmory can take Mach Puch/Bullet Seed and use Whirlwind for breaking stat boosts.
    as a result : 3/6 members of the team can KO Breloom and one another can stop stat boosting. Breloom isn't a problem.

16. Ashton Michaels

Ashton Michaels Member

Obviously when half my team is dead, something sweeps. But you are right about no spinner, I had Xatu before, but it didn't work out in the end. But like I said I work my way around it, I don't need Dragonite for his ability so it doesn't need to be full health to do it's job.

17. SonicTheHedgehog

I have a suggestion:

Maybe Forretress over Skarmory. Because Forretress+Chansey can do same job of Skarmory+Chansey. With Fort, you can use Rapid Spin. And with Stealth Rock, Spikes, Rapid spin and Gyro Ball/Toxic Spikes = Chansey doesn't need Stealth Rock and can use Wish. (Wish supports Forretress for setting hazards and i think wish can do a powerfull combo with Dragonite and Genosekuto. Even Slack Off, Slowbro can need a wish from chansey.)

18. Ashton Michaels

Ashton Michaels Member

Thanks for the suggestion, but Skarmory is really needed for the phazing and Forretress can't handle Doryuzuu, Garchomp and Landlos.

19. Keaton

Keaton New Member

And it does what against other stall heavy teams WITH a spinner?

20. Ashton Michaels

Ashton Michaels Member

I haven't had any troubles with it at all. I had Blissey first with Flamethrower for Forretress (the only spinner that's annoying to the team), but since I have only seen like one Forretress around I switched Blissey to Chansey.

There's always Geno for the surprise KO on the special wall if needed, and together with paralyzing the opposing team, Jirachi and Dragonite can even take down a heavy stall team.

21. Nexus

Nexus Legend Killer

Urm hi ashthon and congrats on No.1,
    Can you tell me how you handle kerudio?
    I cant seem to kill it

22. Ashton Michaels

Ashton Michaels Member

Hey there,

Yes Kerudio is a monster, and can hurt about every pokemon (barring Shedinja). Luckily it can only have one coverage move in Hidden Power Electric or Hidden Power Ice. For variants without HP Ice > Slowbro where you can continue to cripple it with Thunder Wave. If they have HP Electric > Dragonite.

23. pokepusle

pokepusle Member

Slowbro :
    what do's his ability?

24. Ashton Michaels

Ashton Michaels Member

The ability Regeneration heals 1/3rd of the Pokemon's HP when switching out.

25. SonicTheHedgehog

I faced Kerudio many times. But my opponents always switched it against Genosekuto. And I OHKOed it with Thunder easily. I have never faced it without Genosekuto. I thought best way to handle it without Genosekuto and HP Ice = Slowbro HP Elect = Dragonite is the only reasonable way as Ashton Michaels said.

26. Darkon

Darkon Member

Well, in your team WishChansey could be great for help your pokemons, one time that you got a bulky team.

27. Harry

Harry Banned

The funny thing is, I've looked at this team over and over, and played it a ton, and I don't realize WHY it works. The core is good, sure. but Jirachi & Genesect just look so out of place. Honestly their spots are so filler that I think you could do better. Maybe a spinner, because to be honest, you're gonna get screwed by hazards, and any other team that has a spinner. Unfortunately in gen 5 there are almost no good spin blockers, but I've recently tested Confagrigus and found that it can very much hold its own and stop even some of the strongest spinners. It's worth a test at least.

28. SonicTheHedgehog

Team needs a spinner and a wish passer.(especially spinner) But it's hard to change team without ruin it. :/

29. Stunt

Stunt Member

I have no idea how this team gathers so much success when it fails so hard against mines.

30. Ashton Michaels

Ashton Michaels Member

Hello people c:

@Stunt: Thanks for constructive criticism. Ahem..

@darkon, harry, sonic: Genosekuto was indeed filler, but he works well as a lead, and he and Jirachi keep the team on the offensive side. If I were to change them to a bulky ghost and a spinner, the team would probably lean more towards stall. Now, I find full stall incredibly boring to play with, therefor I have chosen certain pokemon, over pokemon that might be better for the team.

The team can certainly be improved, but I don't think adding more stall aspects to the team is the way to do that. For now the team has done it's job and I'm satisfied with it. Perhaps I'll put some more thought in changes to improve it, when I have the time.

Anyways, thanks for reading and commenting everyone.

31. rawr!

rawr! New Member

thunderbolt are supereffective against skarmory and slowbro.
    anyone knows how to battle a zapdos with roar and roost?
    dragonite will do like only 33% damage, and blissey will get roar out.
    they already had spikes 2x and stealth rock so blissey will get damage everytime you switch out.

zapdos with thunderbolt, roar, hidden power ice, and roost kills this team (well, at least when i'm using it) blissey died because of stealth rock and 2x spikes

32. Ashton Michaels

Ashton Michaels Member

If you can't use the team as it is now, I suggest you be creative. Use Toxic over Stealth Rock on Chansey and give Jirachi Stealth Rock over Substitute. Or something.

33. Stunt

Stunt Member

derp i just realized i played the wifi version of this.
    couldnt handle the xatu....

well for the dream world version, there is definitely a problem with stealth rocks and toxic spikes. Toxic spikes will heavily injure chansey and slowbrofor rain sweepers to do their job. (in wifi, xatu cannot handle the boil over from tentacruel in the rain)

Other than that problem, nothing much can be said. Nice team.

34. ASH_CHAMPION

ASH_CHAMPION A very useless person~

PO Trainer Name:
    Meh
    First, Gratz on the first rank, next, a balloon Blaziken or sash blaziken is gonna ddestroy you , Theyll blaze kick(if there smart unless there running flare blitz), itll kill genosekuto with one hp left (or more with a balloon), andwhen u es, u might get set up on. Just pointing it out as i do remember a lot of pokemon tht can set up and easily break Skarm/Chans

35. Ashton Michaels

Ashton Michaels Member

First off I would go to Slowbro when I see a Blaziken.

Secondly, I don't think it will be setting up on Extremespeed when it does around 70 percent on Blaziken.

But yea C:

36. Placeholder 012

Placeholder 012 New Member

OMG @ Meh

you´re right, slowbro with t-wave cant handle blaziken...

37. Ashton Michaels

Ashton Michaels Member

And to the problem of no rapid spinner and rain trouble; just switch around Genosekuto for Tentacruel with Rapid Spin, Toxic Spikes, Surf and Mirror Coat/Sludge Bomb. Give Toxic to Chansey over Stealth Rock and make Jirachi the lead with Choice Scarf and Trick, Stealth Rock, Iron Head and Fire Punch.

This way you have a rapid spinner, a way to beat Zapdos, something to do versus rain teams (toxic spikes) and another fire resistance so it limits itself to 2 fire weak pokemon.

Take note however, that this is just a suggestion that I haven't tested myself. At the moment, it looks good on paper to me and balances out the weaknesses/resistances on the team, and helps with damage entries. I wouldn't use thig change myself, since I enjoy the offensive firepower Genosekuto gives, but I can imagine that people would rahter go with this since it's possibly better for the team.

38. Darkness

Darkness DN

Good team, Marik. :)

39. YAYtears

YAYtears Professional Noob Haxors

/trolls. This is from last month.

40. Darkness

Darkness DN

I'm using it now and it still works wonders.

Moderators: Edna, fsk