1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

Pokémon Spotlight: OU - Pheromosa

Discussion in 'Article Review' started by Spoovo The Pirate, Jan 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spoovo The Pirate

Spoovo The Pirate Meep! Article Contributor Article Contributor

[​IMG]

Introduction
    Pheromosa here has only been around for a little while, but has already gained infamy as one of the deadliest sightings in Gen 7 OU.

Heracross wept when its unique typing was usurped by not one, but two of these 'Ultra Beasts', and Pheromosa completely outshines it on the offensive front, with its blistering base 151 Speed and incredible base 137 offences. On top of its already impressive raw stats however, Pheromosa's trademark ability, Beast Boost, will only boost that Speed a stage higher for every KO it receives. Yes, as far as offensive teams are concerned, Pheromosa is an absolute disease.

But what's holding this thing back from getting banned to Ubers, you ask?

Why, its bulk of course. Or rather its lack of it. 71/37/37 sounds bad on paper, and it's even worse in practice. Literally any strong hit with end this fragile little bug, even some resisted ones. That's why Pheromosa needs to make sure it's going to kill whatever it hits. And fear not, it has just the right movepool to do so. It may look like it's been decided by dartboard, featuring your typical STAB moves, and then random stuff like Ice Beam and Rapid Spin, but Pheromosa is one of OU's biggest threats. Underestimate it at your own peril.​

Sets
    Quiver Dance
    Choice Specs
    Choice Scarf
    Life Orb / CB

Other Options
    The Fightium and Buginium Z stones are viable hold items for Pheromosa, as they allow it to nail a target with a one off superpowered attack. All-Out Pummelling doesn't carry High Jump Kick's chance of missing, nor will it injure Pheromosa if the target evades it, while Savage Spin-Out won't force Pheromosa to switch out after usage, making it a tempting choice for sets that have solely U-turn as their Bug STAB.
    Various Hidden Powers are at least worth a mention, with Ground and Electric being the most popular. Hidden Power Ground hits common switch-ins like Toxapex and Gengar for heavy damage, while Electric takes on the many Water/Flying types that have sprung up in OU this generation, namely Pelipper, Mantine, and Gyarados. Low Kick is also worth considering if you desperately need a Fighting STAB with reliable accuracy. Bear in mind though that Low Kick's power is unreliable instead of its accuracy, and common targets like Ferrothorn receive as little as 40 BP damage from it.
    Checks and Counters
    Pheromosa may be a tricky customer, however it also has its fair share of answers.

The primary switch-in to Pheromosa would be its nemesis Toxapex, which resists every common move it possesses, and only falls to boosted Hidden Power Ground or Electric. If neither of these are present, Toxapex can tank hits all day long if it wants to, can Recover off HP as needed, and go for the KO with a timely Scald if it gets bored. Toxapex must be careful however, as Dugtrio is a common partner for Pheromosa. Pheromosa can simply U-turn out against Toxapex as it switches in, and Dugtrio can trap Toxapex with its trademark Arena Trap, then remove it with powerful Earthquakes and/or Tectonic Rage.

Gengar's frailty holds it back, but as long as it can switch into anything but an Ice Beam, it can silence Pheromosa with a powerful Shadow Ball. Similarly, if Landorus-T or Gliscor can avoid an Ice Beam, they can both remove Pheromosa with relative ease. Note that this is only likely if Pheromosa is choice-locked into another move.

Mega Venusaur and to a lesser point Amoonguss are solid initial switch-ins to Pheromosa, due to resisting its most feared High Jump Kick. Neither Pokemon appreciate its Bug STABs, and Amoonguss can't take Ice Beam very well either, but their solid bulk and access to recovery mean they can switch in repeatedly, and hit hard with STAB Sludge Bomb or Sleep Powder (Spore in Amoonguss' case)

Assault Vest Tornadus-T makes for a solid revenge killer to Pheromosa, as it has the bulk to tank a Life Orb Ice Beam, and then KO with Hurricane. Tornadus-T must watch out for any Pheromosa with a Special Attack boost however, as Ice Beam will still OHKO after Stealth Rock damage in that state.

Alolan Marowak lacks recovery, but can tank all of Pheromosa's common attacks with ease and then silence it with a Fire STAB, however it can't switch in repeatedly thanks to its Stealth Rock weakness and aforementioned lack of recovery. Jellicent is rare but also a solid answer to Pheromosa, as it resists Bug, Ice, Fighting and Poison, has recovery, and doesn't particularly fear any of Pheromosa's other attacks either.

Mantine and Pelipper can also act as emergency checks to Pheromosa, being able to tank a hit or two, and then KO it with their STABs, as well as having Roost available to keep themselves healthy.

Finally, if there is no Tapu Lele present on your opponent's team, feel free to bombard Pheromosa with all the priority attacks you have. Literally any will take enormous chunks out of it, if not outright kill.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2017
  2. E.T.

E.T. Random Slowpoke Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    Should probably add the condition that Pheromosa has to have a Choice item (unless Choice Scarf Lando-T). Otherwise, it will just hit them with Ice Beam on the next turn.

Overall, it is looking good to me. Advanced to [WIP].

3. Joyverse

Joyverse Back for a blast!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    A bit of commenting here and there.

No problem with seeing Rapid Spin but is Lunge really that necessary on the fourth slot? It might be, but I don't really think it's totally required. Pretty sure it's either Turn or Lunge. Phero needs all the coverage it can use.

I used to use Focus Sash before. Is that a thing?
    Doubtful on Fling (with Insect / Fist plate) as it often used in Ubers to severely damage Ghost switchins. Don't know how it works in OU but keep that in mind.

And oh, you might wanna mention tailoring Pheromosa's EVs in OO so that gains Attack Boosts in place in Speed with BB.

4. Spoovo The Pirate

EV tweaking makes a lot of sense. Hell, you don't even need to go that far. Just using a +Atk instead of +Spd nature will do it.

As for Focus Sash... I've never used it myself. Phero needs a fair amount of support already. I'm perfectly happy to put it in OO though, if others want to weigh in their opinion?

5. E.T.

E.T. Random Slowpoke Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    I could see Focus Sash possibly being useful in a tier like Monotype, but I think it would be much less useful in OU. Between Rocky Helmet, Rough Skin, Tyranitar / Hippo Sand Stream, possible High Jump Kick recoil, and Stealth Rock, there just seems to be too many things that could break a Focus Sash before it could be used. Life Orb and Choice items are probably the only ones that should be considered.

6. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    I've seen fightium special sets too

7. E.T.

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    I thought about Z-moves too, but I haven't tried them or seen them used, so I wasn't sure if it was a thing or not. It might be plausible enough to deserve a mention in other options.

8. Spoovo The Pirate

Fightium Z makes a lot of sense actually, because it gives Phero access to an accurate Fighting nuke when needed, instead of relying on Focus Miss. I'm up for giving that an OO mention if other people are happy with it?

9. gengar17

gengar17 someone turn this nothing into gengar

not having uturn is out of the question, it's even the standard on the spex set (focus buzz icebeam uturn), it shouldnt be slashed, keep the 4th slot with lunge/spin/jab on the first set but remove the lunge/turn slash.
    fightium is a solid option to have, so are life orb and any 3 choice items, no other items.
    also there's little reason to mention defensive synergy partners for pheromosa (like how u said tran ttar etc can take hits phero is weak to), because that hardly comes into play since most neutral moves KO it, they have to be nve stabs + super eff non stabs for them to be something to consider. (hint:
    252 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Pheromosa: 190-224 (67.1 - 79.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO), so i'd go more into other offensive partners instead ie uturning into duggy to trap toxapex or w/e
    on another note, the spex set for pheromosa is a big deal and isnt really just some "other option" thing, i think it deserves to have its set posted. u can also slash choice band and scarf on the first set so whoever reads the article knows choice items phero are as legit as lo.
    tran and ferro arent really checks/counters to pheromosa because u never wanna be facing phero with those anyway and phero can almost freely uturn out, i'd rather u put marowak instead

E.T. likes this.
  10. Spoovo The Pirate

Yup, fair points Gengar. Though I'm a bit iffy on the U-turn point (I've used non U-turn sets with enough success myself), I'm still willing to get that stuff changed in... sometime soon.

What are other peoples' thoughts on Choice sets being main sets? Is the raw boost enough of a lure to overlook Phero being locked into one move?

11. Spoovo The Pirate

Okay, I've updated everything sans the Choice Specs set, because I'd honestly like more feedback on it. Not disparaging you of course, Gengar, but I just like follow up opinions on things.

12. E.T.

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    I think that a Choice Specs set is as relevant as the other choice sets, so it is worth having its own set.

13. Spoovo The Pirate

Gotcha ET. I'll get it added in... sometime soon.

14. E.T.

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    Is it sometime soon yet?

15. Spoovo The Pirate

Err... probably. Sorry about the slowing down thing. Motivation's been in a slump lately. I'll try for sometime this weekend.

16. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Eh, I don't feel that mentioning Quiver Dance is necessary in OO. As it's very hard for it to really get a boost unless it has a sash on, only to get rkilled by priority. -_-

Specs is Focus / Buzz / IBeam / Turn with Timid or Naive iirc.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  17. E.T.

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    I think Quiver Dance is fine in other options. Yes, it can be difficult to set up in the face of pressure, but Pheromosa also has the ability to force switches, which can create opportunities to freely set up. Quiver Dance is also a set that most people probably don't anticipate. If it gets off a Quiver Dance, it can very quickly get out of hand due to Beast Boost stacking additional boosts with each KO.

18. Spoovo The Pirate

Specs also runs HJK sometimes to donk Chansey, but yeah, something like:

Bug Buzz
    Focus Blast/HJK
    Ice Beam
    U-turn/HJK

Seeing as there's a physical move regardless, and no point in optimising 'bulk', might as well go naive. I'll also mention Hidden Powers in the comments?

19. gengar17

gengar17 someone turn this nothing into gengar

no wtf
    quiver definitely has usage and is good, that's basically the fightium set, pheromosa is one of the better mons at forcing switches and sash isnt a thing
    also no spex doesnt run hjk, and special itself is an incredibly dangerous set.
    (side lol at ET being able to convince spoovo without arguments that he should add spex while im one of the ppl in charge of ou atm)
    here's some SPL replays featuring special pheromosas
    http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-252002 timid spex vs modest spex
    http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-250192 qd with a cool set
    http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-249541 qd fightium
    http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-250548 fv's is qd fightium
    http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-250980 cicada with qd
    http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-250749 not sure but sweepage's is likely z, definitely that or spex
    this is just the last 2 weeks of spl, i didnt even look back at the first 4 weeks, theres a lot of physical or scarf pheros too as a random side note

Professor Oak, E.T. and Joyverse like this.
  20. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    No, not much. LO should have CB as there are no particular differences there.

Specs is better off without having Scarf slashed. Scarf runs an altogether different spread (see my post).

QD is only runs Modest as QD provides it the Speed it needs.

21. Spoovo The Pirate

Changes made according to what Joy said.

22. Professor Oak

Professor Oak same Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    So I've just deleted 6 posts in this thread due to the language used in a few of the posts. Whilst some notable points may have been lost in the posts I have deleted, the language used in the posts themselves is not acceptable.

If you wish to post legitimate criticisms, then you are free to do so without repeatedly insulting other users.

Likewise, if you wish to respond to criticisms, you should be able to do so in a calm and professional manner, especially if you are a member of staff. @Joyverse, I'm looking at you here.

Now, I don't see anything wrong with gengar's posts made prior to Sakuya's pastebin, nor do I disagree with the non-insulting content of the pastebin itself. As such, I will include the non-insulting content of the pastebin below. If Articles staff are not willing to accept criticism when it is not filled with insults, then I will have to take action against those members of staff.

Edited pastebin content below:
    fwiw I actually do think qd pheromosa is the best pheromosa set rn it just wins games

phero finds lots of opportunities to actually qd, be it forcing switches (play aggressive/smart or pair with memento support from dugtrio maybe???) or outright just setting up on more passive stuff like tangrowth/toxapex etc

but u know whats the best part of qd phero? it sometimes doesn't even need qd to just win games cuz base 151 speed modest is fast enough anyways, it can just snowball off a kill which is rly rly easy to get if u don't pack a hard counter like unaware clef cuz z move focus blast cleanly 1hkoes even v fat stuff like mmetagross LOL and u grab the satk boost which is more than enough to dismantle offense builds. granted v balance builds u actually do need qd or u need to weaken its checks a bit more (fini and frens) as phero is likely prepared more, which is where z move hyper beam comes in and bops fini and pex at +1.

heres a replay of me losing to a well played qd phero: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-538595392

as mentioned above u don't even need to qd to win vs fatter teams they aren't outrunning u anyways so once u get a kill it can quickly snowball. other phero sets wouldn't have won in this scenario bc they would have to switch moves in order to win, so cb/specs/whatever would not have so easily won. lo physical phero would have to pivot out by just sending in tangrowth cuz it fears sleep powder and kill and this may still give me an opportunity to win lategame with agili gross or coil zygarde

replay of p2 v dragonuser in spl r3: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-239674
    here shows how qd phero utilises memento support from dugtrio and that is how qd phero became popularised I think

specs pheromosa does not run high jump kick can u get good and watch spl replays/ladder to 1350+ on po/1650+ on ps

o and talking about priority yea pheromosa has paper thin defenses but if u don't let it take any damage other than sr it lives mmetagross bp and gren shuriken 3 hits lol so yea

amazing how we don't have the 3 best sets (qd>specs>scarf). scarf should be a separate set on its own from lo/cb cuz it plays differently from it and hence the set should be separate to differenciate itself from lo/cb

~ sakuya izayoi

Spoovo The Pirate and Joyverse like this.
  23. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Sorry for being unprofessional Oak. No harm done in saying a sorry anyway.

Yeah, geng said nothing wrong prior to his paste post. However, I won't be tolerating posts like that ever again. I'll just be deleting them.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  24. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Spoovo, refer to the geng posts here. He knows more than me tbf lol.

As for the changes. Specs still has HJK, remove. Please remove the Scarf slash. EBelt can in OO btw.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  25. Spoovo The Pirate

But Specs uses HJK sometimes to fuck up Chansey. I'd say it's still worth the slash at least.

26. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    i made a banner for this iirc

27. E.T.

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    Choice Specs Pheromosa should not run High Jump Kick. Ever.

Added.

Annoying Orange likes this.
  28. Spoovo The Pirate

*shrug* if you insist. I'll get it deleted when I can care enough to do so

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.