1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Released] Campfire Talk: Solgaleo and Lunala

Discussion in 'Article Review' started by Sobi, Dec 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sobi

Sobi To be loved is a strength. To love is a weakness. Article Contributor Article Contributor

PO Trainer Name:
    Sobi
    [​IMG]
    Talonflame, Umbreon, Plusle, and Minun sit - and fly - around a warm campfire, the atmosphere full of enthusiasm and excitement as the Pokémon take out their game consoles and start to play Pokémon Sun and Moon.

Hello, and welcome to Campfire Talk! This article series will provide you with various opinions of newly released Pokémon from Pokémon Sun and Moon, ranging from the starters to the legendaries. Let's meet our panelists, Joyverse, Spoovo the Pirate, Annoying Orange, and pokemonnerd!

[​IMG]

Joyverse

Solgaleo: Well, check out my forum avatar. What does that tell you guys? Solgaleo is my favourite cover legend this Generation. Call me crazy, but I have always had a soft spot for the cover legendaries of the first version of every game. So yeah, Ho-Oh, Reshiram, Dialga, and the like always had a special place in my heart, and Solgaleo is no different. Lemme start now.

Design-wise, I think Solgaleo has the better design out of the two. Like, duh, lions are just way too cool over bats any day. Although... at first I assumed it was going to be a Fire-type Pokémon but nope, it was Psychic / Steel. It's great nonetheless. That sun-based face... that silvery-white body. It looks too majestic to be true, lol.

I only knew after a bit of reading that the duo is based off of alchemical signs and processes. However, a bunch of friends and I have come up with a theory that, instead of alchemy or anything else for that matter, it and the trio are more or less built around the concept of light. Solgaleo here, for example, exudes light like a star, which is probably why it has access to Fire-type moves without being a Fire-type Pokémon itself.

Competitively, Ubers has been blessed with the pretty solid offensive tank of Solgaleo. It soft checks Arceus-Fairy, Magearna, Ho-Oh, and of course, Xerneas. This makes it a very solid Pokémon to have. Sunsteel Strike is a solid Steel-type STAB move that has an in-built Mold Breaker. I mean, who doesn't like that?

Lunala: Does Lunala look similar to the Bat Spirit Zord from Power Rangers: Jungle Fury? You are damn right it does. This is what I thought of when I first saw Lunala, lol. While I won't say that the design is bad in any way, it does feel slightly unoriginal. Both legendaries have blade-like wings but come to think of it, I guess it is only for design purposes.

Continuing with the above mentioned fan-theory... With Solgaleo representing the sun, Lunala, being the moon, reflects the light of the sun. So, basically, what we have is the "Light Duo" or if we add Necrozma to the mix, the "Light Trio"!

On the competitive side, it isn't really much of a metagame-defining Pokémon in the Ubers tier in my opinion. It has its sets: Choice Specs, Choice Scarf, Calm Mind, and the like, but all of them have clear checks. Given its Ghost typing, it can work as a decent spinblocker and can check many of the tier's top threat in conjunction to its solid ability Shadow Shield, which isn't bypassed by Mold Breaker unlike Multiscale.

Finally, even with that base 113 Attack stat, it has no useful physical moves to speak of.

[​IMG]

Spoovo the Pirate

Solgaleo: The mystical space lion is by far my favourite of the two. While it's essentially just a Metagross on steroids with a better movepool, it's aesthetically pleasing in the way that it actually looks like a cat. I'd half expect this thing to push you down the stairs, attempt to sleep on your lap when you're doing important work on the computer, or constantly get in the way when it came to the dubious task of feeding.

Its typing is also very clever, seeing as most people don't realise that the sun is not fire, rather a huge ball of metal under the pressure of a thermonuclear reaction. Its Psychic typing could be an alchemy reference, seeing as we don't have a SPAAAAAAACE type, but eh. It's not exactly rare to see a Psychic-type legend now, is it?

Either way, this is one fun Feline that will certainly leave its mark on the metagame as well as knock down your Christmas tree, claim the entire couch for its sleeping spot, and destroy your socks.

Lunala: Lunala, I'm less blown away with. Sure, it had another cop-out ability with a different name, essentially Multiscale, but while Solgaleo was clearly an Ubers Metagross, Lunala doesn't quite seem to meet Lugia's calibre.

Having said that, it's designed very well. It's shaped like a crescent moon, befitting of night, and there's several depictions in both Hawaiian and Polynesian mythology about bat-related deities, so it checks out as far as I'm concerned. Of all the typings it could've had, though, Ghost / Psychic was about the last I would've expected. Not only does it steal Hoopa's limelight, but it also makes a lot less sense than say Dark, Fairy, or even Flying. Lunala learns moves of all these types while simply levelling up too, so methinks even GameFreak wasn't even sure what typing to give this thing. So, I'm guessing Lunala's typing was decided by a roulette wheel, with added Psychic to keep up with the theme.

Confusing typing, and far from the most dominant cover legend they've ever produced, but still fun to work with.

[​IMG]

Annoying Orange

Solgaleo: These two Pokémon have a lot of character from the storyline. They aren't your angry, world-destroying beasts. They begin from cute, little cosmic cloud Pokémon that have spent a lot of time with humans. They have a calm personality. Solgaleo is not a representation of the sun, but an emissary. It wasn't meant to be a Fire-type. I like that it has Steel / Psychic typing because, as we've seen before in Jirachi and Metagross, this is an amazing type combination. It's known as the beast that devours the sun, a symbol of alchemy that transforms metals into gold. I think this is why it's part Steel-type, which is quite amazing in my opinion. Solgaleo, Lunala, and their evolution line are Psychic-type because that typing represents space, as we have no "Cosmic-type". I think the backstory of Solgaleo is nice. It was even foreshadowed as a future legendary Pokémon in "Pokémon the Third Movie".

Competitively, it's an average Ubers Pokémon at best in my opinion. Its Attack is nice and its physical movepool is decent, considering it's a four-legged animal...

...which gets me to my final thing. I love this Pokémon's design. It's a giant lion of the sun. The white color is great and easy on the eyes. I'm pretty sure it's white because that's the actual color we see when looking at the sun. The red and yellow accents seem to represent solar flares, which is also pretty cool. My only huge downside about this is that we had a sun lion last generation, Pyroar.

Lunala: Interestingly enough, Lunala is also a representation of alchemy.

I personally like Lunala because of its typing and design. I believe it's honestly a better competitive Pokémon as well. Sure, it isn't taking any Dark- or Ghost-type attack unless it's at full health, but it has amazing coverage along with nice set-up in Calm Mind, as well as recovery options. We actually get a bat that isn't an annoying cave dweller, which may be the best thing overall about it. I think it looks like a skeleton because it also represents the dead, further supporting its Ghost typing.

[​IMG]

pokemonnerd

Solgaleo: I've always had a soft spot for Pokémon that look like they could take hits, like how Lugia looks more sturdy than Ho-Oh; how Groudon seems like it can take a lot of punishment by looking at it; and how other Pokémon like Snorlax simply look durable. It was no surprise that seeing Solgaleo look like a quadrupedal tank of a lion was definitely a step in the right direction in terms of me liking it. Plus, you can ride it into battle. Seriously, how can you beat that?

A lion is the symbol of strength and courage, and with that in mind, they nailed Solgaleo perfectly. Just look at it; does it look weak in any way, shape, or form to you? From the giant stand up mane, to its legs and paws being massive and muscular, this thing is built like a brick house. It's simple but perfect. Reminds me a bit of the Liger Zero as well, with its color schemes in both shiny and normal formes.

And as for the whole alchemy reference? After we put the whole Fullmetal Alchemist reference in its ability aside, Solgaleo is known in-universe as "The beast that devours the sun," which is a metaphor for an alchemical process that purifies matter into gold. With that in mind, its Steel typing makes perfect sense, the only thing that would make the reference complete is if its shiny color was green with its gold accents because the liquid sulfate (called vitriol for those uncultured louts that may be reading) that makes this process happen is green.

Lunala: Lunala didn't do much for me, at first. It didn't strike me with the same "wow" factor as Solgaleo; however, its typing makes sense in the alchemy reference. Psychic typing keeps up with the mysticism, but Ghost absolutely makes sense, as life and death are a common theme in alchemy. After all, the Philosopher's Stone was so sought after by alchemists because it was said to be an elixir of immortality. And since ghosts are more often than not referenced to be deceased people or Pokémon, the potential reference is still strong. There's also the fact that gold is a very prominent color in both Solgaleo and Lunala's color scheme, only reinforcing this.

Design-wise, I like that they made Lunala look like two crescent moons with a central body. It certainly looks like something truly mystifying that would use indirect ways to attack instead of full-body tackling you like the sun mascot would. The wings even kind of look like they could cut you with their scythe-like tips on the end. It reinforces the Ghost typing, how it wouldn't engage directly until it could weaken enough to go for a killing blow, like it's trying to reap its opponent with those wings.

We hope you enjoyed this edition of Campfire Talk. Join us next time!

Sobi - Organizer, Writer, Grammar
    Joyverse - Writer, QC
    Spoovo The Pirate - Writer
    Annoying Orange - Writer, Artist
    pokemonnerd - Writer
    E.T. - QC, Grammar

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2016
    Joyverse likes this.
  2. Joyverse

Joyverse Back for a blast!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Remove the Pokemon from the title, kinda lengthens the title.

Gimme either Talonflame or Reshiram.

Sobi likes this.
  3. Spoovo The Pirate

Spoovo The Pirate Meep! Article Contributor Article Contributor

Dibs on Umbreon. :3

And I'll get a paragraph or two written sometime soon.

4. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Uh yeah.. I don't want it to be that formal after that quoted part.. Add that Campfire scene which I had earlier mentioned after that please :S Well considering it's still WIP I'll cut you some slack..

Aight so.. something like. <This is for the first edition only>
    <Mew, always being the active friend of ours decided to go camping with his buddies (NOTE: We have our genders defined asf). Talonflame being the most impatient of them all reached first, only to wait for 2 more hours until Mew, Plusle and Umbreon arrived together. Snorlax arrived the last. He also brought the food with him, luckily it was untouched. Apparently Snorlax has been dieting to improve his Pulverizing Pancake's power.

The hike wasn't as strenuous as expected, everyone were enjoying it. But the real fun started at nighttime around the campfire. Mew said, "You know what? Let's talk about something new! Like Solgaleo and Lunala perhaps?".

And so began.. the first of the many campfire talks...

Change the title here as well..We hadn't decided on the starters?? I'd rather we remove the mention here.

Next up. @pokemonnerd you in this right? I assuming you'll ask for the Snorlax avvy. @Annoying Orange choose your avvy and have our Pokemon Avatars sit around a campfire in the banner. Sorry in advance if I you guys feel I am rushing things a bit. Do the things at your own pace. It's just that I am pretty hyped up for this particular article. Damn Sobi ily.. <3

As for the paragraphs themselves. DONE DONE DONE!

DONE
    Introduction

Well, check my Forum Avatar. What does that tell you guys? Solgaleo is my favourite cover legend this Generation. Call me crazy but I have always had a soft spot for the cover legendaries of the first version of every game. So yeah, Ho-oh, Reshiram, Dialga and the like always have a special place in my heart and Solgaleo is no different. Lemme start now.

Design wise. I think Solgaleo has the better design out of the two. Like, duh, lions are just way too cool over bats any day. While at first I assumed it was going to be a Fire-type Pokemon but nope, it was Psychic/Steel. It's great nonetheless. That Sun-based face, that silvery-white body. It looks too majestic to be true lol.

I only knew after a bit of reading that the duo is based off of alchemical signs and processes. However a bunch of friends and I have come up with a theory that instead of Alchemy or anything else for that matter. It and the trio are more or less are built around the concept of light. Solgaleo here for example, exudes light like a star which is probably why it has access to Fire-type moves without being a Fire type Pokemon itself. I'll get to Lunala soon.

Competitively, Ubers has been given a pretty solid Offensive Tank. It soft checks Arceus-Fairy, Magearna, Ho-Oh and ofc Xerneas. This makes for a very solid Pokemon to have in Ubers. Sunsteel Strike is a solid Steel-type STAB that has an in-built Mold Breaker. I mean who doesn't like that?

DONE
    [​IMG]

That's not Lunala, but that's the Bat spirit zord from Power Rangers: Jungle Fury. Looks similar? You are damn right it does. This is what I thought of when I first saw Lunala lol. While I won't say that the design is bad in any way. It does feel slightly unoriginal. Both have blade like wings but coming to think of it, it is only for design purposes I guess. Even with that 113 Attack stat, it has no useful physical moves to speak of.

Continuing with the above mentioned fan-theory... With Solgaleo representing the Sun, Lunala being the Moon reflects the light of the Sun. So basically what we have is the Light Duo or if we add Necrozma to the mix, the Light Trio!

On the competitive side, it isn't really much of a metagame defining Pokemon in the Ubers tiers in my opinion. It has its sets, Choice Specs, Choice Scarf, Calm Mind and the like but all of them have clear checks. Given its Ghost typing, it can work as a decent spinblocker and can check many of the tier's top threat with that in conjunction to its solid ability- Shadow Shield which isn't broken by Mold Breaker unlike Multiscale.

That is all I guess.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  5. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    PLUSLE PLEASe

6. Sobi

Sobi To be loved is a strength. To love is a weakness. Article Contributor Article Contributor

PO Trainer Name:
    Sobi
    lol ngl i'm terrible at that kind of writing, do you think you could whip something up haha @[email protected] i'll edit it of course tho

7. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

If course I'd want the lax picture, and I can contribute my thoughts if you guys would need/like another person. Much more fond of metal Mufasa than super Woobat though.

8. Sobi

PO Trainer Name:
    Sobi
    will add you~

9. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

DONE

I've always had a soft spot for Pokémon that look like they could take hits, like how Lugia looks more sturdy than Ho-Oh, Groudon seems like it can take a lot of punishment by looking at it and other things like Snorlax simply look durable. It was no surprise that seeing Solgaleo look like a quadrupedal tank of a lion was definitely a step in the right direction in terms of me liking it. Plus you can ride it into battle. Seriously how can you beat that?

A lion is the symbol of strength and courage, and with that in mind they nailed Solgaleo perfectly. Just look at it; does it look weak in any way, shape or form to you? From the giant stand up mane to its legs and paws being massive and muscular, the thing is built like a brick house. It's simple but perfect because of it. Reminds me a bit of the Liger Zero as well, with its color schemes in both shiny and normal forms.

And as for the whole alchemy reference? After we put the whole Fullmetal Alchemist reference in its ability aside, Solgaleo is known in-universe as "The beast that devours the Sun." Which is a metaphor for an alchemical process that purifies matter into gold. With that in mind his Steel typing makes perfect sense, the only thing that would make the reference complete is if his shiny color was Green with his Gold accents, because the liquid sulfate(called vitriol for those uncultured louts that may be reading) that makes this process happen is green.

Lunala didn't do much for me, at first. It didn't strike me with the same "wow" factor as Solgaleo, however its typing makes sense in the alchemy reference. Psychic typing keeps up with the mysticism, but Ghost absolutely makes sense as life and death are a common theme in alchemy. After all, the Philosopher's Stone was so sought after by alchemists because it was said to be an elixir of immortality. And since ghosts are more often than not referenced to be deceased people or Pokémon, the potential reference is still potentially strong. There's also the fact that Gold is a very prominent color in both Solgaleo and Lunala's color scheme, only reinforcing this.

Design wise, I like that they made Lunala look like 2 crescent moons with a central body. It certainly looks like something truly mystifying, that would use indirect ways to attack instead of full-body tackling you like the Sun mascot would. The wings even kind of look like they could cut you with those scythe-like tips on the end. It reinforces the Ghost typing, how it wouldn't engage directly until it could weaken enough to go for a killing blow, like it's trying to reap its opponent with those wings.

10. E.T.

E.T. Random Slowpoke Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    Bumped this back to [Skeleton] because it doesn't have enough structure to be a [WIP] yet.

11. Spoovo The Pirate

Okay, I figured I might as well post my opinions in a new post, seeing as it also bumps the thread. Because bumping is good.

The mystical space lion is by far my favourite of the two. While it's essentially just a Metagross on steroids with a better movepool, it's aesthetically pleasing in the way that it actually looks like a cat. I'd half expect this thing to push you down the stairs, attempt to sleep on your lap when you're doing important work on the computer, or constantly get in the way when it came to the dubious task of feeding.

Its typing is also very clever, seeing as most people don't realise that the sun is not fire, rather a huge ball of metal under the pressure of a thermonuclear reaction. The Psychic type could be an alchemic reference, seeing as we don't have a SPAAAAAAACE type, but ehh. It's not exactly rare to see a Psychic-type legend now, is it?

Either way, this is one fun Feline that will certainly leave its mark on the metagame, as well as knock down your Christmas tree, claim the entire couch for its sleeping spot, and destroy your socks.

Lunala, I'm less blown away with. Sure, it had another cop-out ability with a different name, essentially Multiscale, but while Solgaleo was clearly an Uber Metagross, Lunala doesn't quite seem to meet Lugia's calibre.

Having said that, it's designed very well. It's shaped like a crescent moon, befitting of night, and there's several depictions in both Hawaiian and Polynesian mythology about bat-related deities, so it checks out as far as I'm concerned. Of all the typings it could've had though, Ghost/Psychic was about the last I would've expected. Not only does it steal Hoopa's limelight, but it also makes a lot less sense than say, Dark, Fairy, or even Flying. Lunala leans moves of all these types while simply levelling up too, so methinks even Gamefreak weren't even sure what typing to give this thing. So I'm guessing Lunala's typing was decided by roulette wheel, with added Psychic to keep up with the theme.

Confusing typing, and far from the most dominant cover legend they've ever produced, but still fun to work with.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  12. Sobi

PO Trainer Name:
    Sobi
    ok, i'm dropping out because i don't have much experience with the mons (or any sm mons) game-wise, sorry guys :( we still have 4 people, tho, thats fine

--- Post updated ---
    that's fine, once you've beefed it up / it's finished, tag me and i'll add it!

--- Post updated ---
    and reminder @Joyverse @Spoovo The Pirate @Annoying Orange :)

13. pokemonnerd

I figured being Psychic type refers to the mystical properties of alchemy, since Solgaleo is known as "the beast that devours the sun" which is a metaphor for an alchemical process. Plus Psychic has been given to a lot of mythical Pokémon in the past that weren't already dragons or forces of nature like Lugia, Jirachi and Celebi.

14. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    alright.

These two Pokemon have a lot of character from the storyline. They aren't your angry, world destroying beasts. They began from a cute little cosmic cloud Pokemon that have spent a lot of time with humans. They have a calm personality. Solgaleo is not a representation of the sun, but an emissary. It wasn't meant to be a fire type. I like that it's steel/psychic because as we've seen before in Jirachi and Metagross, this is an amazing type combination. It's known as the beast that devours the sun, a symbol of alchemy that transforms metals into gold. I think this is why it's part steel type which is quite amazing in my opinion. Solgaleo, Lunala and their evolution line are psychic because that typing represents space as we have no cosmic type. I think the backstory of Solgaleo is nice. It was even forshadowed as a future legendary Pokemon in Pokemon the Third Movie:
    [​IMG]
    Competitively, it's an average Ubers Pokemon at best in my opinion. It gets nice Attack and a decent Physical movepool considering it's a four legged animal. Which gets me to my final thing. I love this Pokemon's design. It's a giant lion of the sun. The white color is great and easy on the eyes. I'm pretty sure it's white because that's the actual color we see when looking at the sun. The red and yellow accents seem to represent solar flares, which is also pretty cool. My only huge down about this is that we had a sun lion last generation when we were introduced to Pyroar.

Interestingly enough, Lunala is also a representation of alchemy. I forget the full explanation, but this image may help:
    [​IMG]
    I personally like Lunala more because of its typing and design. I believe it's honestly a better competitive Pokemon as well. Sure, it isn't taking any dark or Ghost type attack unless it's at full health, but it has amazing coverage along with nice set up in calm mind and recovery options. We actually get a bat that isn't an annoying cave dweller which may be the best thing overall about it. I think it looks like a skelteon because it also represents the dead. This further supports its ghost typing.

Joyverse likes this.
  15. Sobi

PO Trainer Name:
    Sobi
    if you're done with yours put

DONE

at the top;

if you're wip, put

WIP

at the top,

so i know which ones to add and which not to

16. E.T.

E.T. Random Slowpoke Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    A better way to do this would be to add them to the OP now and label them or make notes (like WIP, DONE, etc) as needed. This way, all of the content is consolidated into one post so that we don't have to search through thread to find who wrote what and what still needs to be written.

Joyverse likes this.
  17. Spoovo The Pirate

...so yeah, this kinda died huh?

Anyone still interested in this?

18. Sobi

PO Trainer Name:
    Sobi
    waiting for people to finish their write-ups ^_^

--- Post updated ---
    @Annoying Orange are you done with yours? they seem a little -short- but that's fine

19. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    b-but theres shorter ones than mine

20. Spoovo The Pirate

Length shouldn't be a massive problem, should it? Long as you've got more than like a sentence lol, you should be fine?

21. Sobi

PO Trainer Name:
    Sobi
    ok i'll edit soon and will tag the lazy bums that haven't yet done theirs >:(

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  22. pokemonnerd

23. Sobi

PO Trainer Name:
    Sobi
    updated. waiting for @Joyverse
    if you cant do it, lmk, we already have enough detail as is

Joyverse edit: I finished today lmfao! lmk if you want more content on Lunala tho.

sobedit - will add to OP tomorrow. next time you edit a post, imo like it so I get a notification ^_^

24. Sobi

PO Trainer Name:
    Sobi
    OK, I have updated the OP.

I removed all mentions to pictures / pictures because I feel they would take up space and generally don't look very nice; sorry guys!

This is ready for grammar checks. I haven't written anything, so I can GP this. Placeholder then, I guess.

---

joyverse
    Well, check out my Fforum Aavatar. What does that tell you guys? Solgaleo is my favourite cover legend this Generation. Call me crazy but I have always had a soft spot for the cover legendaries of the first version of every game. So yeah, Ho-oOh, Reshiram, Dialga, and the like always haved a special place in my heart, and Solgaleo is no different. Lemme start now.
    Design-wise., I think Solgaleo has the better design out of the two. Like, duh, lions are just way too cool over bats any day. WhileAlthough... at first I assumed it was going to be a Fire-type Pokemon but nope, it was Psychic / Steel. It's great nonetheless. That Ssun-based face,... that silvery-white body. It looks too majestic to be true, lol.
    I only knew after a bit of reading that the duo is based off of alchemical signs and processes. However, a bunch of friends and I have come up with a theory that, instead of Aalchemy or anything else for that matter. I, it and the trio are more or less are built around the concept of light. Solgaleo here, for example, exudes light like a star, which is probably why it has access to Fire-type moves without being a Fire-type Pokemon itself. I'll get to Lunala soon.
    Competitively, Ubers has been givenblessed with a pretty solid Ooffensive Tank om Solgaleo. It soft checks Arceus-Fairy, Magearna, Ho-Oh and of course Xerneas. This makes forit a very solid Pokemon to have in Ubers. Sunsteel Strike is a solid Steel-type STAB moves that has an in-built Mold Breaker. I mean, who doesn't like that?

Well, check out my forum avatar. What does that tell you guys? Solgaleo is my favourite cover legend this Generation. Call me crazy but I have always had a soft spot for the cover legendaries of the first version of every game. So yeah, Ho-Oh, Reshiram, Dialga, and the like always had a special place in my heart, and Solgaleo is no different. Lemme start now.
    Design-wise, I think Solgaleo has the better design out of the two. Like, duh, lions are just way too cool over bats any day. Although... at first I assumed it was going to be a Fire-type Pokemon but nope, it was Psychic / Steel. It's great nonetheless. That sun-based face... that silvery-white body. It looks too majestic to be true, lol.
    I only knew after a bit of reading that the duo is based off of alchemical signs and processes. However, a bunch of friends and I have come up with a theory that, instead of alchemy or anything else for that matter, it and the trio are more or less built around the concept of light. Solgaleo here, for example, exudes light like a star, which is probably why it has access to Fire-type moves without being a Fire-type Pokemon itself.
    Competitively, Ubers has been blessed with a pretty solid offensive Tank om Solgaleo. It soft checks Arceus-Fairy, Magearna, Ho-Oh and of course Xerneas. This makes it a very solid Pokemon to have. Sunsteel Strike is a solid Steel-type STAB moves that has an in-built Mold Breaker. I mean, who doesn't like that?
    Does Lunala look similar to the Bat sSpirit zZord from Power Rangers: Jungle Fury? You are damn right it does. This is what I thought of when I first saw Lunala, lol. While I won't say that the design is bad in any way. I, it does feel slightly unoriginal. Both legendaries have blade-like wings but coming to think of it, I guess it is only for design purposes I guess. Even with that 113 Attack stat, it has no useful physical moves to speak of.
    Continuing with the above mentioned fan-theory... With Solgaleo representing the Ssun, Lunala, being the Mmoon, reflects the light of the Ssun. So, basically, what we have is the "Light Duo" or if we add Necrozma to the mix, the "Light Trio"!
    On the competitive side, it isn't really much of a metagame-defining Pokemon in the Ubers tiers in my opinion. It has its sets,: Choice Specs, Choice Scarf, Calm Mind, and the like, but all of them have clear checks. Given its Ghost typing, it can work as a decent spinblocker and can check many of the tier's top threat with that in conjunction to its solid ability- Shadow Shield which isn't brokenypassed by Mold Breaker unlike Multiscale. Finally, even with that base 113 Attack stat, it has no useful physical moves to speak of.

Does Lunala look similar to the Bat Spirit Zord from Power Rangers: Jungle Fury? You are damn right it does. This is what I thought of when I first saw Lunala, lol. While I won't say that the design is bad in any way, it does feel slightly unoriginal. Both legendaries have blade-like wings but coming to think of it, I guess it is only for design purposes.
    Continuing with the above mentioned fan-theory... With Solgaleo representing the sun, Lunala, being the moon, reflects the light of the sun. So, basically, what we have is the "Light Duo" or if we add Necrozma to the mix, the "Light Trio"!
    On the competitive side, it isn't really much of a metagame-defining Pokemon in the Ubers tiers in my opinion. It has its sets: Choice Specs, Choice Scarf, Calm Mind, and the like, but all of them have clear checks. Given its Ghost typing, it can work as a decent spinblocker and can check many of the tier's top threat in conjunction to its solid ability Shadow Shield which isn't bypassed by Mold Breaker unlike Multiscale. Finally, even with that base 113 Attack stat, it has no useful physical moves to speak of.

spoovo - very well written and exactly what I was looking for!
    The mystical space lion is by far my favourite of the two. While it's essentially just a Metagross on steroids with a better movepool, it's aesthetically pleasing in the way that it actually looks like a cat. I'd half expect this thing to push you down the stairs, attempt to sleep on your lap when you're doing important work on the computer, or constantly get in the way when it came to the dubious task of feeding.
    Its typing is also very clever, seeing as most people don't realise that the sun is not fire, rather a huge ball of metal under the pressure of a thermonuclear reaction. TheIts Psychic typeing could be an alchemicy reference, seeing as we don't have a SPAAAAAAACE type, but ehh. It's not exactly rare to see a Psychic-type legend now, is it?
    Either way, this is one fun Feline that will certainly leave its mark on the metagame, as well as knock down your Christmas tree, claim the entire couch for its sleeping spot, and destroy your socks.

Its typing is also very clever, seeing as most people don't realise that the sun is not fire, rather a huge ball of metal under the pressure of a thermonuclear reaction. Its Psychic typing could be an alchemy reference, seeing as we don't have a SPAAAAAAACE type, but eh. It's not exactly rare to see a Psychic-type legend now, is it?
    Either way, this is one fun Feline that will certainly leave its mark on the metagame as well as knock down your Christmas tree, claim the entire couch for its sleeping spot, and destroy your socks.
    Lunala, I'm less blown away with. Sure, it had another cop-out ability with a different name, essentially Multiscale, but while Solgaleo was clearly an Ubers Metagross, Lunala doesn't quite seem to meet Lugia's calibre.
    Having said that, it's designed very well. It's shaped like a crescent moon, befitting of night, and there's several depictions in both Hawaiian and Polynesian mythology about bat-related deities, so it checks out as far as I'm concerned. Of all the typings it could've had, though, Ghost / Psychic was about the last I would've expected. Not only does it steal Hoopa's limelight, but it also makes a lot less sense than say, Dark, Fairy, or even Flying. Lunala learns moves of all these types while simply levelling up too, so methinks even GamefFreak weren't even sure what typing to give this thing. So, I'm guessing Lunala's typing was decided by a roulette wheel, with added Psychic to keep up with the theme.

Lunala, I'm less blown away with. Sure, it had another cop-out ability with a different name, essentially Multiscale, but while Solgaleo was clearly an Ubers Metagross, Lunala doesn't quite seem to meet Lugia's calibre.
    Having said that, it's designed very well. It's shaped like a crescent moon, befitting of night, and there's several depictions in both Hawaiian and Polynesian mythology about bat-related deities, so it checks out as far as I'm concerned. Of all the typings it could've had, though, Ghost / Psychic was about the last I would've expected. Not only does it steal Hoopa's limelight, but it also makes a lot less sense than say Dark, Fairy, or even Flying. Lunala learns moves of all these types while simply levelling up too, so methinks even GameFreak weren't even sure what typing to give this thing. So, I'm guessing Lunala's typing was decided by a roulette wheel, with added Psychic to keep up with the theme.

AO
    These two Pokemon have a lot of character from the storyline. They aren't your angry, world-destroying beasts. They begain from a cute, little cosmic cloud Pokemon that have spent a lot of time with humans. They have a calm personality. Solgaleo is not a representation of the sun, but an emissary. It wasn't meant to be a fFire-type. I like that it's sSteel/p / Psychic typing because, as we've seen before in Jirachi and Metagross, this is an amazing type combination. It's known as the beast that devours the sun, a symbol of alchemy that transforms metals into gold. I think this is why it's part sSteel type, which is quite amazing in my opinion. Solgaleo, Lunala, and their evolution line are pPsychic-type, because that typing represents space, as we have no c"Cosmic-type". I think the backstory of Solgaleo is nice. It was even foreshadowed as a future legendary Pokemon in "Pokemon the Third Movie".
    Competitively, it's an average Ubers Pokemon at best in my opinion. It gets nice Attack and a decent Pis nice and its physical movepool is decent, considering it's a four-legged animal.
    ...Which gets me to my final thing. I love this Pokemon's design. It's a giant lion of the sun. The white color is great and easy on the eyes. I'm pretty sure it's white because that's the actual color we see when looking at the sun. The red and yellow accents seem to represent solar flares, which is also pretty cool. My only huge downside about this is that we had a sun lion last generation when we were introduced to, Pyroar.

These two Pokemon have a lot of character from the storyline. They aren't your angry, world-destroying beasts. They begin from cute, little cosmic cloud Pokemon that have spent a lot of time with humans. They have a calm personality. Solgaleo is not a representation of the sun, but an emissary. It wasn't meant to be a Fire-type. I like that it's Steel / Psychic typing because, as we've seen before in Jirachi and Metagross, this is an amazing type combination. It's known as the beast that devours the sun, a symbol of alchemy that transforms metals into gold. I think this is why it's part Steel type, which is quite amazing in my opinion. Solgaleo, Lunala, and their evolution line are Psychic-type, because that typing represents space, as we have no "Cosmic-type". I think the backstory of Solgaleo is nice. It was even foreshadowed as a future legendary Pokemon in "Pokemon the Third Movie".
    Competitively, it's an average Ubers Pokemon at best in my opinion. Its Attack is nice and its physical movepool is decent, considering it's a four-legged animal.
    ...Which gets me to my final thing. I love this Pokemon's design. It's a giant lion of the sun. The white color is great and easy on the eyes. I'm pretty sure it's white because that's the actual color we see when looking at the sun. The red and yellow accents seem to represent solar flares, which is also pretty cool. My only huge downside about this is that we had a sun lion last generation, Pyroar.
    Interestingly enough, Lunala is also a representation of alchemy.
    I personally like Lunala more because of its typing and design. I believe it's honestly a better competitive Pokemon as well. Sure, it isn't taking any dDark- or Ghost-type attack unless it's at full health, but it has amazing coverage along with nice set-up in cCalm mMind, ands well as recovery options. We actually get a bat that isn't an annoying cave dweller, which may be the best thing overall about it. I think it looks like a skelteton because it also represents the dead. This, further supportsing its gGhost typing.

Interestingly enough, Lunala is also a representation of alchemy.
    I personally like Lunala because of its typing and design. I believe it's honestly a better competitive Pokemon as well. Sure, it isn't taking any Dark- or Ghost-type attack unless it's at full health, but it has amazing coverage along with nice set-up in Calm Mind, as well as recovery options. We actually get a bat that isn't an annoying cave dweller, which may be the best thing overall about it. I think it looks like a skeleton because it also represents the dead, further supporting its Ghost typing.

pokemonnerd
    I've always had a soft spot for Pokémon that look like they could take hits, like how Lugia looks more sturdy than Ho-Oh,; how Groudon seems like it can take a lot of punishment by looking at it; and how other thingsPokemon like Snorlax simply look durable. It was no surprise that seeing Solgaleo look like a quadrupedal tank of a lion was definitely a step in the right direction in terms of me liking it. Plus, you can ride it into battle. Seriousl,y how can you beat that?
    A lion is the symbol of strength and courage, and with that in mind, they nailed Solgaleo perfectly. Just look at it; does it look weak in any way, shape, or form to you? From the giant stand up mane, to its legs and paws being massive and muscular, theis thing is built like a brick house. It's simple but perfect because of it. Reminds me a bit of the Liger Zero as well, with its color schemes in both shiny and normal formes.
    And as for the whole alchemy reference? After we put the whole Fullmetal Alchemist reference in its ability aside, Solgaleo is known in-universe as "The beast that devours the Sun." Wsun," which is a metaphor for an alchemical process that purifies matter into gold. With that in mind, hits Steel typing makes perfect sense, the only thing that would make the reference complete is if hits shiny color was Ggreen with hits Ggold accents, because the liquid sulfate (called vitriol for those uncultured louts that may be reading) that makes this process happen is green.

I've always had a soft spot for Pokémon that look like they could take hits, like how Lugia looks more sturdy than Ho-Oh; how Groudon seems like it can take a lot of punishment by looking at it; and how other Pokemon like Snorlax simply look durable. It was no surprise that seeing Solgaleo look like a quadrupedal tank of a lion was definitely a step in the right direction in terms of me liking it. Plus, you can ride it into battle. Seriousl,y how can you beat that?
    A lion is the symbol of strength and courage, and with that in mind, they nailed Solgaleo perfectly. Just look at it; does it look weak in any way, shape, or form to you? From the giant stand up mane, to its legs and paws being massive and muscular, this thing is built like a brick house. It's simple but perfect. Reminds me a bit of the Liger Zero as well, with its color schemes in both shiny and normal formes.
    And as for the whole alchemy reference? After we put the whole Fullmetal Alchemist reference in its ability aside, Solgaleo is known in-universe as "The beast that devours the sun," which is a metaphor for an alchemical process that purifies matter into gold. With that in mind, its Steel typing makes perfect sense, the only thing that would make the reference complete is if its shiny color was green with its gold accents, because the liquid sulfate (called vitriol for those uncultured louts that may be reading) that makes this process happen is green.
    Lunala didn't do much for me, at first. It didn't strike me with the same "wow" factor as Solgaleo,; however, its typing makes sense in the alchemy reference. Psychic typing keeps up with the mysticism, but Ghost absolutely makes sense, as life and death are a common theme in alchemy. After all, the Philosopher's Stone was so sought after by alchemists because it was said to be an elixir of immortality. And since ghosts are more often than not referenced to be deceased people or Pokémon, the potential reference is still potentially strong. There's also the fact that Ggold is a very prominent color in both Solgaleo and Lunala's color scheme, only reinforcing this.
    Design-wise, I like that they made Lunala look like 2two crescent moons with a central body. It certainly looks like something truly mystifying, that would use indirect ways to attack instead of full-body tackling you like the Ssun mascot would. The wings even kind of look like they could cut you with thoseir scythe-like tips on the end. It reinforces the Ghost typing, how it wouldn't engage directly until it could weaken enough to go for a killing blow, like it's trying to reap its opponent with those wings.

Lunala didn't do much for me, at first. It didn't strike me with the same "wow" factor as Solgaleo; however, its typing makes sense in the alchemy reference. Psychic typing keeps up with the mysticism, but Ghost absolutely makes sense, as life and death are a common theme in alchemy. After all, the Philosopher's Stone was so sought after by alchemists because it was said to be an elixir of immortality. And since ghosts are more often than not referenced to be deceased people or Pokémon, the potential reference is still strong. There's also the fact that gold is a very prominent color in both Solgaleo and Lunala's color scheme, only reinforcing this.
    Design-wise, I like that they made Lunala look like two crescent moons with a central body. It certainly looks like something truly mystifying that would use indirect ways to attack instead of full-body tackling you like the sun mascot would. The wings even kind of look like they could cut you with their scythe-like tips on the end. It reinforces the Ghost typing, how it wouldn't engage directly until it could weaken enough to go for a killing blow, like it's trying to reap its opponent with those wings.

OK DONE - c/ping this in the op

alright then, done.

GP 1/2

--- Post updated ---
    @E.T. @RedJoker25 you're the only GPers I know, heh; could either of you GP this when you get the time? Thanks!

Here's the c/p of the current OP - http://beta.pastee.com/9zdu3 - just paste it straight into the GP diff app (by the way, there's an updated version. I spoke to sandz about them and he made some changes - http://sandshrewz.github.io/gpdiff)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    Spoovo The Pirate and Joyverse like this.
  25. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    I really dont see the problem with pictures kept in spoilers. they really helped with my explanations. the person chooses to open spoilers so im not sure how it's a burden

26. Sobi

PO Trainer Name:
    Sobi
    I really want this to have a clean look, that's why - however, I just realised I can just hyperlink the images. I'll do that after the 2nd GP check.

27. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    If @Professor Oak is alive, he can help in the GP.
    BTW There is some check error on my Solgaleo comp. paragraph. What's a "Tank om Solgaleo"?

Also fu the milestone hype.. Sorry for being delusional. I'd rather help you then anything else! (~'-')~

28. Sobi

PO Trainer Name:
    Sobi
    yeah that is my fault, I noticed that but will leave it to the next GPer because I'd have to edit the OP, above post's changes and c/p, and pastee link.

29. E.T.

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    Campfire Talk: Solgaleo and Lunala

Talonflame, Umbreon, Plusle, and Minun sit - and fly - around a warm campfire, the atmosphere full of enthusiasm and excitement as the Pokémon take out their game consoles and start to play Pokémon Sun - and Moon.
    Hello, and welcome to Campfire Talk! This article series will provide you with various opinions of newly released Pokémon from Pokémon Sun and Moon, ranging from the starters to the legendaries. Let's meet our panelists, Joyverse, Spoovo the Pirate, Annoying Orange, and pokemonnerd!

Joyverse
    Solgaleo:
    Well, check out my forum avatar. What does that tell you guys? Solgaleo is my favourite cover legend this Generation. Call me crazy, but I have always had a soft spot for the cover legendaries of the first version of every game. So yeah, Ho-Oh, Reshiram, Dialga, and the like always had a special place in my heart, and Solgaleo is no different. Lemme start now.
    Design-wise, I think Solgaleo has the better design out of the two. Like, duh, lions are just way too cool over bats any day. Although... at first I assumed it was going to be a Fire-type Pokeémon but nope, it was Psychic / Steel. It's great nonetheless. That sun-based face... that silvery-white body. It looks too majestic to be true, lol.
    I only knew after a bit of reading that the duo is based off of alchemical signs and processes. However, a bunch of friends and I have come up with a theory that, instead of alchemy or anything else for that matter, it and the trio are more or less built around the concept of light. Solgaleo here, for example, exudes light like a star, which is probably why it has access to Fire-type moves without being a Fire-type Pokeémon itself.
    Competitively, Ubers has been blessed with athe pretty solid offensive Ttank omf Solgaleo. It soft checks Arceus-Fairy, Magearna, Ho-Oh, and of course, Xerneas. This makes it a very solid Pokeémon to have. Sunsteel Strike is a solid Steel-type STAB moves that has an in-built Mold Breaker. I mean, who doesn't like that?
    Lunala: Does Lunala look similar to the Bat Spirit Zord from Power Rangers: Jungle Fury? You are damn right it does. This is what I thought of when I first saw Lunala, lol. While I won't say that the design is bad in any way, it does feel slightly unoriginal. Both legendaries have blade-like wings but cominge to think of it, I guess it is only for design purposes.
    On the competitive side, it isn't really much of a metagame-defining Pokeémon in the Ubers tiers in my opinion. It has its sets: Choice Specs, Choice Scarf, Calm Mind, and the like, but all of them have clear checks. Given its Ghost typing, it can work as a decent spinblocker and can check many of the tier's top threat in conjunction to its solid ability Shadow Shield, which isn't bypassed by Mold Breaker unlike Multiscale. Finally, even with that base 113 Attack stat, it has no useful physical moves to speak of.

Spoovo the Pirate
    Solgaleo: The mystical space lion is by far my favourite of the two. While it's essentially just a Metagross on steroids with a better movepool, it's aesthetically pleasing in the way that it actually looks like a cat. I'd half expect this thing to push you down the stairs, attempt to sleep on your lap when you're doing important work on the computer, or constantly get in the way when it came to the dubious task of feeding.
    Lunala: Lunala, I'm less blown away with. Sure, it had another cop-out ability with a different name, essentially Multiscale, but while Solgaleo was clearly an Ubers Metagross, Lunala doesn't quite seem to meet Lugia's calibre.
    Having said that, it's designed very well. It's shaped like a crescent moon, befitting of night, and there's several depictions in both Hawaiian and Polynesian mythology about bat-related deities, so it checks out as far as I'm concerned. Of all the typings it could've had, though, Ghost / Psychic was about the last I would've expected. Not only does it steal Hoopa's limelight, but it also makes a lot less sense than say Dark, Fairy, or even Flying. Lunala learns moves of all these types while simply levelling up too, so methinks even GameFreak wereasn't even sure what typing to give this thing. So, I'm guessing Lunala's typing was decided by a roulette wheel, with added Psychic to keep up with the theme.

Annoying Orange
    Solgaleo: These two Pokeémon have a lot of character from the storyline. They aren't your angry, world-destroying beasts. They begin from cute, little cosmic cloud Pokeémon that have spent a lot of time with humans. They have a calm personality. Solgaleo is not a representation of the sun, but an emissary. It wasn't meant to be a Fire-type. I like that it' has Steel / Psychic typing because, as we've seen before in Jirachi and Metagross, this is an amazing type combination. It's known as the beast that devours the sun, a symbol of alchemy that transforms metals into gold. I think this is why it's part Steel -type, which is quite amazing in my opinion. Solgaleo, Lunala, and their evolution line are Psychic-type, because that typing represents space, as we have no "Cosmic-type". I think the backstory of Solgaleo is nice. It was even foreshadowed as a future legendary Pokeémon in "Pokeémon the Third Movie".
    Competitively, it's an average Ubers Pokeémon at best in my opinion. Its Attack is nice and its physical movepool is decent, considering it's a four-legged animal...
    ...which gets me to my final thing. I love this Pokeémon's design. It's a giant lion of the sun. The white color is great and easy on the eyes. I'm pretty sure it's white because that's the actual color we see when looking at the sun. The red and yellow accents seem to represent solar flares, which is also pretty cool. My only huge downside about this is that we had a sun lion last generation, Pyroar.
    I personally like Lunala because of its typing and design. I believe it's honestly a better competitive Pokeémon as well. Sure, it isn't taking any Dark- or Ghost-type attack unless it's at full health, but it has amazing coverage along with nice set-up in Calm Mind, as well as recovery options. We actually get a bat that isn't an annoying cave dweller, which may be the best thing overall about it. I think it looks like a skeleton because it also represents the dead, further supporting its Ghost typing.

pokemonnerd
    Solgaleo: I've always had a soft spot for Pokémon that look like they could take hits, like how Lugia looks more sturdy than Ho-Oh; how Groudon seems like it can take a lot of punishment by looking at it; and how other Pokeémon like Snorlax simply look durable. It was no surprise that seeing Solgaleo look like a quadrupedal tank of a lion was definitely a step in the right direction in terms of me liking it. Plus, you can ride it into battle. Seriously, how can you beat that?
    And as for the whole alchemy reference? After we put the whole Fullmetal Alchemist reference in its ability aside, Solgaleo is known in-universe as "The beast that devours the sun," which is a metaphor for an alchemical process that purifies matter into gold. With that in mind, its Steel typing makes perfect sense, the only thing that would make the reference complete is if its shiny color was green with its gold accents, because the liquid sulfate (called vitriol for those uncultured louts that may be reading) that makes this process happen is green.
    Lunala: Lunala didn't do much for me, at first. It didn't strike me with the same "wow" factor as Solgaleo; however, its typing makes sense in the alchemy reference. Psychic typing keeps up with the mysticism, but Ghost absolutely makes sense, as life and death are a common theme in alchemy. After all, the Philosopher's Stone was so sought after by alchemists because it was said to be an elixir of immortality. And since ghosts are more often than not referenced to be deceased people or Pokémon, the potential reference is still strong. There's also the fact that gold is a very prominent color in both Solgaleo and Lunala's color scheme, only reinforcing this.

Campfire Talk: Solgaleo and Lunala

[​IMG][​IMG]

Talonflame, Umbreon, Plusle, and Minun sit - and fly - around a warm campfire, the atmosphere full of enthusiasm and excitement as the Pokémon take out their game consoles and start to play Pokémon Sun and Moon.

[​IMG]

Joyverse

Solgaleo: Well, check out my forum avatar. What does that tell you guys? Solgaleo is my favourite cover legend this Generation. Call me crazy, but I have always had a soft spot for the cover legendaries of the first version of every game. So yeah, Ho-Oh, Reshiram, Dialga, and the like always had a special place in my heart, and Solgaleo is no different. Lemme start now.

Design-wise, I think Solgaleo has the better design out of the two. Like, duh, lions are just way too cool over bats any day. Although... at first I assumed it was going to be a Fire-type Pokémon but nope, it was Psychic / Steel. It's great nonetheless. That sun-based face... that silvery-white body. It looks too majestic to be true, lol.

I only knew after a bit of reading that the duo is based off of alchemical signs and processes. However, a bunch of friends and I have come up with a theory that, instead of alchemy or anything else for that matter, it and the trio are more or less built around the concept of light. Solgaleo here, for example, exudes light like a star, which is probably why it has access to Fire-type moves without being a Fire-type Pokémon itself.

Competitively, Ubers has been blessed with the pretty solid offensive tank of Solgaleo. It soft checks Arceus-Fairy, Magearna, Ho-Oh, and of course, Xerneas. This makes it a very solid Pokémon to have. Sunsteel Strike is a solid Steel-type STAB move that has an in-built Mold Breaker. I mean, who doesn't like that?

Lunala: Does Lunala look similar to the Bat Spirit Zord from Power Rangers: Jungle Fury? You are damn right it does. This is what I thought of when I first saw Lunala, lol. While I won't say that the design is bad in any way, it does feel slightly unoriginal. Both legendaries have blade-like wings but come to think of it, I guess it is only for design purposes.

On the competitive side, it isn't really much of a metagame-defining Pokémon in the Ubers tier in my opinion. It has its sets: Choice Specs, Choice Scarf, Calm Mind, and the like, but all of them have clear checks. Given its Ghost typing, it can work as a decent spinblocker and can check many of the tier's top threat in conjunction to its solid ability Shadow Shield, which isn't bypassed by Mold Breaker unlike Multiscale.

Finally, even with that base 113 Attack stat, it has no useful physical moves to speak of.

[​IMG]

Spoovo the Pirate

Having said that, it's designed very well. It's shaped like a crescent moon, befitting of night, and there's several depictions in both Hawaiian and Polynesian mythology about bat-related deities, so it checks out as far as I'm concerned. Of all the typings it could've had, though, Ghost / Psychic was about the last I would've expected. Not only does it steal Hoopa's limelight, but it also makes a lot less sense than say Dark, Fairy, or even Flying. Lunala learns moves of all these types while simply levelling up too, so methinks even GameFreak wasn't even sure what typing to give this thing. So, I'm guessing Lunala's typing was decided by a roulette wheel, with added Psychic to keep up with the theme.

[​IMG]

Annoying Orange

Solgaleo: These two Pokémon have a lot of character from the storyline. They aren't your angry, world-destroying beasts. They begin from cute, little cosmic cloud Pokémon that have spent a lot of time with humans. They have a calm personality. Solgaleo is not a representation of the sun, but an emissary. It wasn't meant to be a Fire-type. I like that it has Steel / Psychic typing because, as we've seen before in Jirachi and Metagross, this is an amazing type combination. It's known as the beast that devours the sun, a symbol of alchemy that transforms metals into gold. I think this is why it's part Steel-type, which is quite amazing in my opinion. Solgaleo, Lunala, and their evolution line are Psychic-type because that typing represents space, as we have no "Cosmic-type". I think the backstory of Solgaleo is nice. It was even foreshadowed as a future legendary Pokémon in "Pokémon the Third Movie".

Competitively, it's an average Ubers Pokémon at best in my opinion. Its Attack is nice and its physical movepool is decent, considering it's a four-legged animal...

...which gets me to my final thing. I love this Pokémon's design. It's a giant lion of the sun. The white color is great and easy on the eyes. I'm pretty sure it's white because that's the actual color we see when looking at the sun. The red and yellow accents seem to represent solar flares, which is also pretty cool. My only huge downside about this is that we had a sun lion last generation, Pyroar.

I personally like Lunala because of its typing and design. I believe it's honestly a better competitive Pokémon as well. Sure, it isn't taking any Dark- or Ghost-type attack unless it's at full health, but it has amazing coverage along with nice set-up in Calm Mind, as well as recovery options. We actually get a bat that isn't an annoying cave dweller, which may be the best thing overall about it. I think it looks like a skeleton because it also represents the dead, further supporting its Ghost typing.

[​IMG]

pokemonnerd

Solgaleo: I've always had a soft spot for Pokémon that look like they could take hits, like how Lugia looks more sturdy than Ho-Oh; how Groudon seems like it can take a lot of punishment by looking at it; and how other Pokémon like Snorlax simply look durable. It was no surprise that seeing Solgaleo look like a quadrupedal tank of a lion was definitely a step in the right direction in terms of me liking it. Plus, you can ride it into battle. Seriously, how can you beat that?

And as for the whole alchemy reference? After we put the whole Fullmetal Alchemist reference in its ability aside, Solgaleo is known in-universe as "The beast that devours the sun," which is a metaphor for an alchemical process that purifies matter into gold. With that in mind, its Steel typing makes perfect sense, the only thing that would make the reference complete is if its shiny color was green with its gold accents because the liquid sulfate (called vitriol for those uncultured louts that may be reading) that makes this process happen is green.

If you'd like to invite readers to post their thoughts as well, the conclusion would probably be a good place to do that.

30. Sobi

PO Trainer Name:
    Sobi
    Thanks! This is now moved to [final].

edit: added hyperlinks to images.

31. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    o we have a possible banner.
    [​IMG]
    may change, not sure yet

32. Sobi

PO Trainer Name:
    Sobi
    Cool, will add to the OP.

Even cooler, 0.1k.

33. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    only change now is maybe removing the sprites/models

34. Sobi

PO Trainer Name:
    Sobi
    Oops forgot about that. Fixed.

35. E.T.

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    Added Special Thanks and changing this to [Approved] with a tentative release date of Monday, January 2nd, but if you'd like to release it sooner, that works too. If there are any issues with this date, let me know.

36. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Hey I'd rather change the date to Sunday, New Year's Day, 2017!!

37. Spoovo The Pirate

^yeah, wouldn't mind that. Noo yeerz after all. That's symbolic and shit.

38. Sobi

PO Trainer Name:
    Sobi
    I agree with the above; will have reduced activity from Monday onwards due to school and whatnot.

39. E.T.

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    Sounds good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.