1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Released] Core Breakdown: Ubers [Landorus-T | Dialga | Deoxys-A]

Discussion in 'Article Review' started by Mysterious M, Oct 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mysterious M

Mysterious M Dream /\ Bigger

******NOTE: This version is old. The updated version can be found here.

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Introduction

The generation of ORAS, regarding the tier of Ubers, could be described in other words as the generation of offense. This certain playstyle has amazing results against balance or even stall, because of the great offensive Pokemon that were brought to it. The idea behind this core is having a really offensive and fast trio with solid synergy, which can take down most of the threats in the tier of Ubers.

It has a pretty simple way that works. The plan is pivoting with U-Turn Landorus-Therian and gaining momentum that way, by choosing Deoxys-Attack or Dialga , depending of course on your opponent's switch in. Dialga offers you a hard hit with Draco Meteor or the chance to set up rocks and it is preferably used when opponent chooses a Fairy typed Pokemon, or Pokemon with access to priority moves. In pretty much every other case, you can choose Deoxys-Attack and nuke something with STAB LO Psycho Boost, or any other hard hitting move from its versatile movepool.

Sets

[​IMG]
    Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Earthquake
    - U-turn
    - Stone Edge
    - Explosion / Sleep Talk
    This is a pretty standard set for Landorus-Therian. It was access to STAB Earthquake which can deal significant amount of damage to various threats such as Primal-Groudon or Mega Gengar. Stone Edge is there to hit Pokemon immune to Earthquake, such as Mega-Salamence, Ho-Oh, Giratina-O etc. Explosion can deal big damage to pretty much anything, while U-Turn as explained before can be used to gain momentum. Sleep Talk can be used on teams that are Darkrai weak, so that Landorus-Therian can be the sleep absorber. Last but not least, its ability Intimidate makes it easier to be switched it against physical Pokemon of the tier, such as Arceus, Primal Groudon or Mega Salamence.

EVS: 252 Speed Evs, guarantee that Landorus-Therian can outspeed main tier threats such as Mega Gengar, Darkrai, Xerneas, Mewtwo forms and Arceus Forms. Also, it can outspeed any choice scarfed Pokemon with 90 Base speed (if they do not run speed boosting nature). The 252 + Evs on Attack, are used for the simple purpose of Landorus hitting as hard as it can and get guaranteed 2HKOs on threats such as Primal Groudon.
    [​IMG]
    Dialga @ Shuca Berry
    Ability: Pressure
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Draco Meteor
    - Flash Cannon
    - Stealth Rock
    - Thunder Wave
    This is really amazing on offensive teams. Stealth Rock is easy to set up due to Dialga's typing and bulk, while at the same time works great on offensive teams that would prefer to have an offensive Primal-Groudon set. Having access to Draco Meteor and Flash Cannon, both STAB moves, gives the opportunity to hit hard almost anything in the tier and at the same time allows Dialga to deal with the common Defog and Magic Bounce users in the tier. Thunder Wave is a status move that can mess with numerous Dialga switch-ins (Ho-Oh,Lugia, Primal Kyogre and more). Thunder/Fire Blast can be used as well, in combination with Modest Nature, so that Dialga can hit with super effective damage some of its switch ins (Ho-Oh, Lugia, Primal Kyogre/ Ferrothorn,Klefki). Both of those moves have a lower accuracy rate, so Thunder Wave is advised. Shuca Berry helps Dialga take a hit from either Primal-Groudon or Mega Salamence (if it carries Earthquake) and then hit back with Draco Meteor.

EVS: 252+ on Speed so Dialga can outspeed most Primal Groudon and tie with the offensive ones, while it can outspeed as well many defoggers such as Giratina or other Arceus forms. 252 on Special Attack do be able to hit hard Primal Groudon, and OHKO many threats like Mega Salamence, Rayquaza, Xerneas etc.
    [​IMG]
    Deoxys-Attack @ Life Orb
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Rash Nature
    - Psycho Boost
    - Extreme Speed
    - Superpower
    - Ice Beam / Knock Off
    Life Orb enhances both physical and special attacking moves of Deoxys, making it an amazing offensive threat. Psycho Boost is its primary STAB move and deals amazing amounts of damage to everything that does not resist it as a type. Superpower hits all types that wall Deoxys's stab, Dark and Steel, but causes its Attack and Defense to drop by one stage.Ice Beam is used for the coverage of Flying and Dragon types, including Mega-Salamence and Yveltal, while it helps Deoxys dealing some important damage to Mega-Sableye. Knock Off hits the third type that resists its stab; Psychic type. This works great on Pokemon that rely on their items to have a good presence, including Latios-Latias/Giratina/Lugia. Extreme Speed provides Deoxys with a strong priority move and gives it the chance to KO many weakened opponents.

EVS: In terms of EVs, Deoxys-A hits as hard as possible with Psycho Boost while also being faster than base 130 Speed Pokemon such as Mega Gengar and Mewtwo. With the boost of Life Orb, Superpower can OHKO Darkrai. Deoxys-Attack can also run 68 Attack Evs & 188 Speed, so it can KO Arceus-Normal & Dialga with Superpower, or Bronzong with Knock Off. It depends on the preference of the user.
    Team Options

As it is stated already, this core is used on purely offensive teams, so the use of Arceus-Normal is a must since it can really provide important offensive pressure. For a sweeper and since there is no mega already, Mega Salamence can be used, or even Xerneas. Mega Gengar is an option as well since it can trap passive/bulky Pokemon (like Arceus support formes, Chansey, Ferrothorn etc) that wall the team. For the sixth slot, since the core and its potential partners are weak to fairy typing, Primal Groudon is an ideal option, because it can at the same time check Xerneas and provide offensive pressure as well. Stall teams with Mega Sableye can cause some issues. Mega Sableye walls both Landorous-Therian and Deoxys-Attack, but it can not switch in safely to bounce off the rocks of Dialga due to its special attacks. A way to have a better matchup versus stall is using sets like Rest-Sleep Talk Xerneas, or Thunder Wave-Swords Dance Primal Groudon.
    Thanks for reading!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2016
    Joyverse likes this.
  2. Joyverse

Joyverse Back for a blast!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Add the sprites above the sets as well.
    You gotta explain the EV spreads. For example does 20 Atk with LO potentially OHKO Darkrai, Dialga and Chansey with Spower? At what speed does 208 spd evs +1 lando get to etc etc.

3. E.T.

E.T. Random Slowpoke Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    For lando, it may be worth going into a little more detail as to why Choice Scarf and Explosion are chosen over other possible options.

For Dialga, you could list examples of targets for Thunder Wave.

Unless there is a particularly long list of drawbacks for using the core, I think it would be better to merge Checks and Counters into Team Options so that you can explain how Team Options can patch up weaknesses that the core has. Of course, talking about Pokémon that supplement the core quite nicely, as you have done already, is good too.

Overall, I'm pleased with the format, so good job with that.

4. Mysterious M

Thanks for the feedback.

@E.T. - Landorous without scarf is unviable in ORAS, with the only set being ok is LO rocks w/ explosion which works on webs. So i thought i would not need to explain this. Regarding the moveset, there can be a slashing with Sleep Talk next to Explosion. I will add it and analyze it a bit. Regarding T-Wave on Dialga there are not certain Pokemon that get twaved, but any switchin that the opponent may choose, so i don't know whether i should provide examples or not.

The core does not have really "counters" just Mega Sableye stall , and a bit ghostceus. So i will add them in the Team Options.

Joyverse likes this.
  5. Mysterious M

Sorry for double posting, i implemented the above changes and i think it is ready for GP. Tagging the Article Leaders @Aurist @E.T. @Joyverse

6. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    I like how the article came out as a whole but thanks to me not knowing Ubers that much, imma tag @ZoroDark and @cries in vain so they can double check the content before we approve.

7. ZoroDark

ZoroDark i know everything

looks alright. isn't 244 / 252+ / 12 the standard on dialga though? the extra bulk and power are pretty nice and running so much speed is p counterintuitive when u have twave.

Joyverse likes this.
  8. Mysterious M

Speed is to outspeed and 2hko pdons, or the bulky 290 supportceus. Without the 252 hp dialga can still check mega mence, or take a hit from pdon or ekiller etc. But if you think 252 Hp is better, i have no problem to change it.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  9. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    I am OK with either of the spreads tbh. If possible making the bulkier spread the main spread and having the max speed spread in the detailing below the set is OK as well. TBH I used the bulkier Dialga when I was first dabbling with XY Ubers, if it functions well in ORAS as well then there's no problem at all.

With that said.
    APPROVE 1/3

10. Mysterious M

+1 252+ Atk Mega Salamence Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shuca Berry Dialga: 166-196 (48.6 - 57.4%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO
    +1 252+ Atk Aerilate Mega Salamence Double-Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dialga: 194-228 (56.8 - 66.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    196+ Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shuca Berry Dialga: 229-270 (67.1 - 79.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    +2 252 Atk Life Orb Arceus Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shuca Berry Dialga: 229-270 (67.1 - 79.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252+ Atk Choice Band Ho-Oh Sacred Fire vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dialga: 229-271 (67.1 - 79.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252+ Atk Choice Band Ho-Oh Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shuca Berry Dialga: 153-181 (44.8 - 53%) -- 30.5% chance to 2HKO

These are some of the calcs, so i dont really think 244 hp is needed, but we can see the opinion of the other tl as well

11. E.T.

E.T. Random Slowpoke Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    I'm okay with this Dialga set being the main one discussed, but I think that the Modest set should be mentioned. If you think that the Modest set is an inferior set, include a brief explanation that explains why that is the case. I also still think that Thunder Wave deserves a bit more justification than "is there to cripple any threat to the team" when Dialga does have coverage possibilities like Fire Blast or Thunder that you give up to run Thunder Wave. If Thunder Wave is the best option in this case, give a little bit more reasoning, preferably with an example of "any threat" that it hits, that explains why it is the best option.

Under Team Options, for the line "Mega Gengar is an option as well since it can trap passive/bulky Pokemon that wall the team" could you give an example or two of Pokemon that fit this description? You mention Mega Sableye later as a Pokemon that can give the core problems, but it cannot be trapped, so what other problem Pokemon does Mega Gengar help you trap? Also, the line "This core does not really have actual counters" doesn't seem to add anything helpful, and since this isn't in a "Checks and Counters" section, I think this line can be deleted.

When these issues are resolved, it will probably be ready for grammar.

Mysterious M and Joyverse like this.
  12. Mysterious M

I implemented all of the suggested changes, although i disagree with the use of Thunder/Fire Blast, due to their low accuracy. So, are we ready for GP?

13. E.T.

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    Yea, I think we're ready for GP now.

Mysterious M likes this.
  14. Professor Oak

Professor Oak same Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    I was going to do some grammar checks, but the more I read into the article, I found myself disliking it more and more, and I disagree that it is ready for grammar checks. Here's why:
    1. Extremely minor point here that I only noticed because I started doing grammar things first - You've got size 3 and size 4 brackets together in your post. One is overriding the other one making at least one of them useless, though I'd argue both are not needed.
    2. I don't really agree with the "core" overall. Not only are you implying in your final paragraph that you almost need to use Arceus-Normal in your team, making this a 4-Pokémon core, the core doesn't really cover each other's weaknesses nor help each other in an offensive or defensive manner. It just seems like 3 Pokémon put together randomly.
    3. To further the previous point, the comments do not say how each Pokémon supports the core, nor supports a potential team overall. This looks more like an analysis of 3 sets thrown together with no reason as a result.
    4. Reading the opening paragraph alone, I'm not sold on the article. ORAS Ubers is a tier, not a generation. Talk about the tier or the generation, don't get the 2 confused. The second line is unnecessary filler. It does not actually provide any additional information to the article. The final line's grammar isn't ideal, but it mentions the synergy between the Pokémon - something that isn't touched upon for the rest of the article. Considering the article is about the core, that's the key reason I dislike this article as it stands.
    5. You claim that Dialga can 2HKO Defensive PrimalDon, but that is not true, as bulky PrimalDon takes 91.7% damage max from 2 Draco Meteors (according to the PS! damage calc). Modest Dialga has a very small chance of a 2HKO on bulky PrimalDon only. Based on this, I feel like the bulky Modest set ZoroDark mentioned should be the default set, with the fast Dialga being an honourable mention in the text if it is actually worth using at all.
    6. You do mention Mega Sableye as a threat, but you don't have a solid way of dealing with it outside of Draco Meteor from Dialga, as Flash Cannon cannot reliably 2HKO Mega Sableye with the Timid set. Modest Dialga would improve the odds of a 2HKO on standard Mega Sableye with Flash Cannon as well as hit harder with Draco Meteor, but I feel like you definitely need to mention that it is a notable threat to the core, and that having an answer to Mega Sableye is a must for your team.

The article needs some improvement before it is even considered for grammar checks, if you ask me.

Annoying Orange likes this.
  15. Mysterious M

Do you play Ubers? Apparently you dont, i will do a full answer to your comment when i get home.

16. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Humbly requesting you to not reply now. I don't want this end up as some Oak vs. MM shitfest.
    That said, I'll change the tag to WIP. I'll try addressing every issue first thing in the morn unless ofc E.T. intervenes.
    Till then guys, pls keep peace. :|

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  17. Mysterious M

I would not shitalk, i will give my answer based on the experience i have with the tier. So my answers to his points (i do not argue with any of the grammar mistakes he pointed out):

It is a purely OFFENSIVE core, therefore the three Pokemon do not have to cover each other's weaknesses. They help each other in an offensive manner, by the pivoting of Landorous with U-Turn and the momentum that is gained for it. When you say "3 Pokemon put together randomly", you do not just question my experience but the whole Smogon Forums Ubers Community, since if you check the viability rankings, cores thread or even sample teams, you will see this Pokemons featured. The team with the Lando - Deo A - Dialga core, is the most popular offensive team after the "Sample Ho". Regarding me implying that Arceus Normal, i can change this but E-Killer is used 100% with this offensive core.

This is true and i am going to fix this.

>>>>
    This is my bad, and i will fix it in the paragraph.

>>>>
    So what i have to say about your comments, is that i would appreciate it if it was a bit less insulting and perhaps do not mention the fact that you dislike it 50 times, all i want to do here is contribute, after all. In the end, even the TL approved the core...

Joyverse and Annoying Orange like this.
  18. Professor Oak

Professor Oak same Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    I was stating that the core isn't stated how it links together outside of "Landorus does U-turn and things happen afterwards". That, to me, does not really compromise much of a core. If it works, it works, but the lack of explanation outside of this makes me question its viability as an article, especially with the content that existed at the time of my previous post.

As a reader of the article, what reasons can I see to use the core in question? U-turn -> do damage, and that's about it. Ok, so why don't I use any other U-turn Pokémon into 2 other hard-hitting Pokémon? What benefits are there to running this core over some other core? The current explanation is just "it works". I feel like the explanation should be "this is how it works, this is why it works, this is why it has advantages over other cores". Without that content, I do not feel that it is a solid article.

My intention is not to insult anyone's ability or experience as battlers, but to ensure that anyone reading the article doesn't turn up and go "well, why?"

EDIT: I will also add that I apologise if I come across as harsh or insulting in any of my posts. If I intend to be insulting, it is often riddled with "f"s and other similar words.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  19. E.T.

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    @Mysterious M
    I agree that the article would be much stronger if these points were added. This is similar to why "Thunder Wave hits any threats" needed to be improved. These critiques are not intended to question your experience or ability, so don't take them personally. Instead, these critiques are about adding clarity and detail to the article so that it becomes more informative and easier for the average reader to follow, which makes it a better article.

Joyverse likes this.
  20. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Eh, this thread overall came out much, much better than I thought it'll end up. I was thinking of the worst case scenario OK, MM?

On further reading the OP, it does in fact, look a bit disjointed. Being a player, my mind instantly filled up the blanks with random facts here and there. But try reading this as a standard reader, a newbie or anything aside from a player who plays Ubers, you'll find out that is leaves a lot to be wanted.

Uh, what is Explosion doing here? Sleep Talk in the other hand makes it a sleep absorb versus the darn annoying Darkrai. Switch it around?

Not to mention that Thunder Wave can be used to potentially para Xern. A paralyzed Xern without cleric support or aromatherapy on its person is venison. I think Xern could potentially get a mention. LO Arceus is also pretty crippled by TWave. Non-Refresh Salamence-M is threatened by the entire core once it's paralyzed, same goes for LO Arceus. Also since you did mention Fire Blast, would Mega Scizor be worth mentioning as well?

The writing is kinda messing up my eyes, and I wear specs, what did you do to the formatting lol?
    I'd rather you write the spread like 68 Atk / 252 SAtk / 188 Spe. Also do mention that 188 Speed will put it to 383 speed so it'll outrun max speed Arceus and speed tie with Darkrai.

Arceus is needed 100% of the time, then well, here stands the question why isn't this a 4mon core with Arceus core?

Also talking of how the offensive core works, I can see a few things here and there and they could be used to connect the three (or four mons) together. Lando-T and Dialga are threatened by Kyurem-W which is beaten by Deo-A. Aegislash threatens DIalga (without Fire Blast too an extent) and checks Deoxys-A. But look, we have Lando to take care of that. Ho-Oh happens to check Dialga but a predicted to switch to Lando would threaten it and force a switch. Momentum can be gained this way with Lando-T pivoting out to whatever pokemon that deals with whatever came in after Ho-Oh switched out. It could be Arceus-Ground which would come on a predicted switch that gets Ice Beamed by Deo-A, it could be Rocky Helmet Yveltal that wishes to punish that U-Turn which could then, be taken care of by DIalga. This is the most I am getting out of my limited Ubers knowledge. It's just that facts like these will make the three pokemon in the OP seem coherent and not disjointed like mentioned above.

No one would try to question your experience, heck, I often end up PMing you when I have my doubts on the tier. It's just that It doesn't seem especially coherent atm, and trying the join the missing dots. Same thing, most of us here are trying to do!

21. Spoovo The Pirate

Spoovo The Pirate Meep! Article Contributor Article Contributor

I'm not much of an Ubers player, so I'll probably leave the critique to those more experienced, however I did notice a couple of grammar-y things;

Firstly, Landorus is getting misspelled a lot. Easily done.

Secondly, you'll probably want to remove phrases like 'This is really amazing on offensive teams'. It comes across as more of an opinion than a statement. Rephrasing it as something like 'Dialga is a serious threat on offensive teams' or similar might help?

'Psycho Boost is its primer STAB move', you probably want primary, not primer. While it does make perfect sense in the right context, I don't think it's the context you were after.

Any singular of a Pokemon is the same as the plural, i.e. there were many Groudon.

Where you have 1hko, it probably wants to be replaced with OHKO, as that's the standard as far as I'm aware.

Lastly, a competitive thing I did notice: Is Adamant on Landorus necessary? You mention the problems it faces with +Spd base 90s, so if Adamant doesn't secure any extra KOs, would Jolly improve the set?

That's all I've got. Hope it helps

22. Professor Oak

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    I think it was "premier" that was aimed for here, but I agree with primary being the ideal choice.

23. Mysterious M

I fixed the grammar mistakes i had, although i am having trouble with the format and the sizes 3 & 4. I will try to make the article easier to be read by any user based on some of your points (the actually viable ones). I will prolly finish it in weekend

Joyverse likes this.
  24. E.T.

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    This would be a good place to elaborate for the reader. Explain why the core has good synergy. You've already mentioned that Landorus can U-Turn on a switch to allow the others to come in, but how do the others contribute to the core? (i.e. how do they work together to "take down most of the threats in the tier of Ubers")

Also, if E-killer is supposed to be included with this core 100% of the time why wouldn't it be included in the core too?

25. Sobi

Sobi To be loved is a strength. To love is a weakness. Article Contributor Article Contributor

PO Trainer Name:
    Sobi
    If @Mysterious M doesn't have anything to say in reply to the above post / nobody has anything to say regarding the article, shall we move this to Grammar?

26. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    I think this is far from complete due to Arceus being a possible in the overall core. There also seems to be a slight content in here. I see E.T.bumping this thread but there seems to be no answer. I give MM 24h to answer or to make even a slight edit else I lock this thread.

27. ZoroDark

ZoroDark i know everything

arceus isnt actually part of the core though. dialga + lando-t + deo a work as a core, with dialga and lando-t covering a lot of the meta offensively which allows deo-a to roam free. oras ubers is just such a ridiculous tier that your fillers will likely end up being mega mence + ekiller + primal groudon. there's other possible options, like groundceus would work well with this core in theory, but then you simply will never have a team that's as solid as versions with ekiller. that's not a knock on the core, it's the way oras ubers is set up.

Mysterious M and Annoying Orange like this.
  28. Mysterious M

Zorodark explained pretty well. I am on vacations rn so i could use some time please.

29. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Ah ok then. MM you should have told me about this before. '-')/

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  30. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

But if we tell you there won't be any suspense for when we post and update next!

Joyverse likes this.
  31. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Time to bump this. I mean seriously speaking a month has passed. And I gotta have to move this to Grammar soon.

32. Mysterious M

ok bump it i am sorry i was too busy, and i will spend more time trying to develop the gen7 ubers here, so you can toss it or smth.

33. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    i cant see one of these coming out every week at this rate. maybe a name change?

34. Sobi

Sobi To be loved is a strength. To love is a weakness. Article Contributor Article Contributor

PO Trainer Name:
    Sobi
    same deal with potw, really. cotw should change to what potw changes to, really. so if potw changes to featured pokemon, cotw changes to featured core

35. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    we are already changing potw to possibly pokemon spotlight. Already have art for it.
    I think cool cores is nice & can easy be worked out like cool sets to use

36. E.T.

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    I'm going to cancel this article for now. If you decide to pick this one back up at some point in the future, let me know.

Mysterious M likes this.
  37. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    [​IMG]
    Introduction

ORAS Ubers can easily be described as an offensively dominant metagame. Offense has amazing results against balance and even stall because of the great offensive Pokémon that work on the playstyle. The idea behind this core is having a really offensive and fast trio with solid synergy that can take down most of the threats in Ubers.

The way this core works is pretty simple. Landorus-T can U-turn on common leads such as Deoxys and Darkrai—it can even use the move to be a momentum-gaining pivot. Landorus-T also threatens other common leads such as Diancie and Primal Groudon with Earthquake. Dialga can take on Pokémon like Mega Salamence and Giratina-O thanks to its natural bulk and is able to pick off most opposing Dragon-types in Ubers. Deoxys-A is mostly a cleaner, as it picks up a lot of easy KOs on Pokémon such as Mega Gengar and offensive Primal Groudon with its powerful STAB Psycho Boost. It also covers many of the threatening Dragon-types with Ice Beam and can get priority revenge kills with Extreme Speed.
    Sets

[​IMG]
    Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Earthquake
    - U-turn
    - Stone Edge
    - Explosion / Sleep Talk​

This is a standard Landorus-T set; STAB Earthquake deals a significant amount of damage to various threats such as Primal Groudon and Mega Gengar. U-turn is used to gain momentum. Stone Edge is hits Ground-immune Pokémon, such as Mega Salamence, Ho-Oh, and Giratina-O. Explosion can deal big damage to pretty much anything, while Sleep Talk allows Landorus-T to be a sleep absorber on Darkrai-weak teams. Intimidate makes it easier for Landorus-T to switch in against physical attackers, such as some Arceus formes, Primal Groudon, and Mega Salamence.

EVs: 252 Speed EVs guarantee that Landorus-T can outspeed important threats such as Mega Gengar, Darkrai, Xerneas, Mega Mewtwo X, Mega Mewtwo Y, and Arceus formes. They also allow it to outspeed any neutral-natured base 90 Speed Choice Scarf Pokémon. The 252 Attack EVs and an Adamant nature are used for the sole purpose of Landorus-T hitting as hard as it can so that it gets guaranteed 2HKOs on threats such as Primal Groudon.
    [​IMG]
    Dialga @ Shuca Berry
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Draco Meteor
    - Flash Cannon
    - Stealth Rock
    - Thunder Wave
    This set works well on offensive teams. Draco Meteor and Flash Cannon gives Dialga the opportunity to hit hard almost anything in the tier and also allows it to deal with the common Defog and Magic Bounce users in the tier. Stealth Rock is easy to set up due to Dialga's typing and bulk, and it also works great on teams that prefer to forgo Stealth Rock on Primal Groudon and run an offensive set instead. Thunder Wave can mess with numerous Dialga switch-ins (Ho-Oh, Lugia, and Primal Kyogre). Thunder or Fire Blast can be used as well in combination with a Modest nature so that Dialga can hit some of its switch-ins (Ho-Oh, Lugia, Primal Kyogre, Ferrothorn, and Klefki) super effectively. Both of those moves have a lower accuracy rate, though, so Thunder Wave is preferred. Shuca Berry helps Dialga take a hit from either Primal Groudon or Earthquake Mega Salamence and then hit back with Draco Meteor.

EVs: 252 Speed EVs with a Timid nature allow Dialga to outspeed most Primal Groudon and tie with the offensive variants; it can also outspeed many Defoggers, such as Giratina and other Arceus formes. 252 Special Attack EVs allow Deoxys-A to hit Primal Groudon hard and OHKO many threats like Mega Salamence, Rayquaza, and Xerneas.​

[​IMG]
    Deoxys-Attack @ Life Orb
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Rash Nature
    - Psycho Boost
    - Extreme Speed
    - Superpower
    - Ice Beam / Knock Off
    Life Orb enhances Deoxys-A's attacks, making it an amazing offensive threat. Psycho Boost is its primary STAB move and deals amazing amounts of damage to everything that does not resist it. Extreme Speed provides Deoxys-A with a strong priority move and gives it the chance to KO many weakened foes. Superpower hits Dark- and Steel-types, but it reduces Deoxys-A's Attack and Defense. Ice Beam is used for coverage against Flying- and Dragon-types, including Mega Salamence and Yveltal; it also deals significant damage to Mega Sableye. Knock Off hits Psychic-types that resist Deoxys-A's STAB attack. It works great on Pokémon that rely on their items to have a good presence, including Latios, Latias, Giratina, and Lugia.

EVs: The EVs allow Deoxys-A to hit as hard as possible with Psycho Boost while also being faster than base 130 Speed Pokémon such as Mega Gengar and Mewtwo. With the boost from Life Orb, Superpower can OHKO Darkrai. Deoxys-A can alternatively run 68 Attack and 188 Speed EVs so that it can KO Arceus-Normal and Dialga with Superpower, as well as Bronzong with Knock Off, depending on which Pokémon is more of a threat.​

Team Options

As stated already, this core is used on purely offensive teams, so the use of Arceus-Normal is the best pairing option since it can provide really important offensive pressure. For a sweeper and to occupy the Mega slot, Mega Salamence can be used—or even Xerneas. Mega Gengar is an option as well since it can trap passive or bulky Pokémon (like Arceus support formes, Chansey, and Ferrothorn) that wall the team. For the sixth slot, since the core and its potential partners are weak to Fairy, Primal Groudon is an ideal option, as it can check Xerneas and provide offensive pressure. Stall teams with Mega Sableye can cause some issues, as it walls both Landorus-T and Deoxys-A, but it cannot switch in safely to bounce off Dialga's Stealth Rock due to the latter's special attacks. To remedy the core's weakness against stall, running RestTalk Xerneas or Thunder Wave + Swords Dance Primal Groudon is an ideal option.
    Conclusion

This core is pretty easy to fit onto an offensive team and is simple to use for people who are used to the metagame. The specially offensive Dialga, physically offensive Landorus-T, and powerful mixed Deoxys-A cover many Pokémon and do so in a convincing fashion. Sure, you have to pair the core up with a few optional Pokémon for it to work perfectly, but that's true for almost any core. When used right, this core won't disappoint you.

Mysterious M - Writer, Core Concept
    Annoying Orange - Writer, Artist
    Joyverse - QC
    E.T. - QC
    ZoroDark - QC
    Professor Oak - QC
    Spoovo The Pirate - QC
    Sobi - Grammar

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2016
  38. E.T.

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    It didn't quite merge how I intended it to due to everything still being sorted by post date, so I just linked to your post in the top of the OP.

39. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    it just put that post with the first one hmm, i guess if anything it wont matter when the main post is put out separately anyways

40. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    also isnt this going to grammar now? as explained earlier, arceus isnt part of the core.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.