1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Released] Move Showcase: Scald

Discussion in 'Article Review' started by Spoovo The Pirate, Nov 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joyverse

Joyverse Back for a blast!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Eh, I am not particularly a fan of this.. E.T. might have other thoughts on this..

Alolomololomoloalalolasunmoonhype's standard OU Set! :3
    Alomomola @ Leftovers
    Ability: Regenerator
    EVs: 36 HP / 220 Def / 252 SpD
    Calm Nature
    - Wish
    - Protect
    - Knock Off
    - Scald

Thing is what makes Alo stand out versus Vaporeon is its obesity huge HP and higher Defense stats. It's poor SpDef is patched up by its already notable HP Stat. It also gains Knock Off. While Vaporeon is better at spamming Scald/Ice Beam at the side along with wish passing. Alo excels at both Scald Spamming (Thanks to it burn rate lol) and passing fat wishes to it teammates as well staying healthy without much trouble due to having Regenerator. This is probably why Vap falls flat vs. Alo in the battle of Wish Passing.

If you do intend that to keep the similar scald users in this category then I suggest you change the item to LO.

While I slightly disagree on having that "Similar Scald Users" stuff. It might probably just work but it needs a bit of weeding out.

I added the tiers, the tiers are worth of note. As I don't think new people reading it would probably have an idea of which pokemon to use in which tier. So..​

2. Spoovo The Pirate

Spoovo The Pirate Meep! Article Contributor Article Contributor

I was actually referring to their access to recovery alongside Scald in Jellicent's case lol. Spinblocking is a fun addition, but ehh...

3. Sobi

Sobi To be loved is a strength. To love is a weakness. Article Contributor Article Contributor

PO Trainer Name:
    Sobi
    I feel that Suicune and Vaporeon's sections are quite bare; you really need to flesh them out.

Mention how Suicune's bulk 100 / 115 / 115 bulk makes it very easy to spam Scald.
    Mention how said bulk also grants more opportunities to set up with Calm Mind, boosting the power of Scald and forcing physical attackers out.

Mention how Choice Scarf allows Keldeo to spam Scald during the late-game to clean up the opposing team.
    Mention how Choice Specs allows Keldeo to spam Scald during the early- and mid-game to dent physical attackers and, if lucky, burn them.

For the other sets, you barely mention Scald and instead talk about the other moves. You should place more focus on Scald, why the Pokemon mentioned run them, etc etc.

This comes from a not-that-good OU player so take it with a grain of salt.

E.T. and Joyverse like this.
  4. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Hey, fair points made. But let's nix out Vappy as Alomomola has already replaced it.

5. Spoovo The Pirate

Yeah, you've made perfectly reasonable points, Sobi. I actually had a draft on Keldeo about cleaning up late game with Scald etc, but I removed it because of how badly it was worded. I'll get that back in at some point soon.

6. E.T.

E.T. Random Slowpoke Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    No Frillish.

@Spoovo The Pirate
    If you are going to have different categories of Scald users, they need to be more clearly defined.
    • Suicune and friends can be Calm Mind Sweepers -- Remove Kyogre since its CM set runs Origin Pulse. Primal Groudon killed Crocune-style Kyogre sets.
    • Alomomola and friend can be Clerics
    • Keldeo and friends can be Offensive -- Remove Politoed and Kyogre.
    • Jellicent and friends can be Walls
    • Tentacruel and friends (add Empoleon) can be Hazard Control
    However, rather than "Similar Scald users in this category", I would prefer for the Scald users to be mentioned in the body text. It doesn't have to go into detail beyond a mention, but it can if the paragraph needs more substance.

I agree with Sobi that Jellicent and Tentacruel could focus a bit more on Scald. A key detail to include would be to discuss how they value the burn damage.

The heading "Toxicroak, Jynx, Heliolisk" can simply be replaced with "Dry Skin". "Gastrodon, Seismitoad, and Volcanion" can change to "Water Absorb and Storm Drain".

I would add Shaymin to the list of Natural Cure users. Don't bother mentioning Refresh under Clerics. Magic Guard Clefable shouldn't be considered a rare occurrence, so remove that bit. It's worth mentioning that Conkeldurr and Eviolite Gurdurr (for lower tiers) have access to Drain Punch, which gives them some recovery. However, the general idea that they can't switch in on Scald forever is correct.

7. Spoovo The Pirate

Drain Punch on Conkelderp is a fair point, I'll get that added.

With magic guard, I meant the ability itself was very rare, rather than Clefable (for example) using it over another ability.

And yeah, making the categories themselves more prominent seems like a good idea. I'll get on that at some point.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  8. E.T.

E.T. Random Slowpoke Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    Then reword it to something like "While not many Pokémon get Magic Guard, users such as..."

The way that it is currently worded:
    makes it sound like you are saying Clefable is rare.

9. Spoovo The Pirate

Okay, it's been like six years, but I've given this a bit of an update. How's it looking now?

10. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Instead of saying that Alo pressures with wish and regen. I'd rather you you say something like "it keeps defensive momentum intact due to its combination of..." or something similar.
    That's all I can type for now, more later. I gtg sleep now! ~_~

11. E.T.

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    You don't need to justify why Keldeo's set is the one that is used. It is just an example.

Either in the introduction or as an additional closing note, you should probably mention that Burn has been nerfed in Generation 7 so that it only deals 1/16th of max HP worth of damage rather than 1/8th. Overall, this is looking a lot better now that the "other users" type stuff has been fleshed out.

12. Sobi

Sobi To be loved is a strength. To love is a weakness. Article Contributor Article Contributor

PO Trainer Name:
    Sobi
    If you're going to include a full set, explain the full set please! @[email protected]

13. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    I changed the title and removed the pun to make the titles more coherent with the other titles. Feel free to remove the joke line whenever. I'll do a double check soon after.

Annoying Orange likes this.
  14. Spoovo The Pirate

Yeah, that's fair enough Joy. The pun was almost entirely for yourself anyway. xD

@ Sobi: With the sets, the explaining is directed mostly at why Scald's there. When I was explaining the full sets, people were unhappy that I wasn't dedicating enough attention to Scald. Without turning into several mini analyses of their own, I dunno if there's a good balance here.

Any ideas anyone? Full explanation with extra detail to Scald seem wise? Or just pay attention to Scald itself?

15. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    The attention should be on Scald imo. The rest can take a backseat.

16. Sobi

PO Trainer Name:
    Sobi
    You can still explain the set without diverting the focus from Scald.

17. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    I did say that "the rest can take backseat". If Spoovo doesn't get that then the sets can go shotgun! :v

18. Spoovo The Pirate

That's more or less what I've done. I've mentioned the important moves of the set(s), why they're there, and then put the focus on Scald. At least from what I can recall when typing this out.

I haven't really explained the EVs because most of them are just obvious cookie cutter sets. Alomomomomomomomomomola is probably the only one that might need any form of explanation.

19. Sobi

PO Trainer Name:
    Sobi
    some comments in purple .... take them lightly for I am not the best of OU players

20. Spoovo The Pirate

Okay yeah, works for me Sobi. I'll get that done soon.

21. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Spoovo cleanup the OP and add them dank GIFs. I need to move this to Grammar soon!

22. Spoovo The Pirate

Yup, tis the plan. I'll hopefully get a chance to do this tonight

23. Sobi

PO Trainer Name:
    Sobi
    imo static images > gifs because they're much more professional and gifs look childish

24. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    It depends on Spoovo's discretion tbh. I wouldn't necessarily think of gifs as unprofessional. Like I mean, they appeal to most of the readers as a matter of fact.

25. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
  26. Spoovo The Pirate

In terms of the GIFs vs static images debate, is this you guys wanting pictures of the Pokemon above their movesets or whatever? That can be done if needed.

27. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    put the gifs. also center the banner

28. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Yeah. Above their movesets.

29. Spoovo The Pirate

Sure thing. I personally prefer GIFs over images, but at the end of the day I'll take whatever the people in charge eventually decide on.

As for the article itself, I just gave it a bit of an update, and hopefully it's ready to grammar...fy now. Although some passages will probably need rewritten a bit, they're at least legible for now.

30. Sobi

PO Trainer Name:
    Sobi
    pokemon sprites -- from the games -- are fine, I meant anime gifs are silly

31. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    I thought by gif they actually meant animated models used in ORAS

32. E.T.

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    [​IMG]

The GIFs that are the Pokémon animations from the in-game models are fine though. Also, this is ready for Grammar.

33. E.T.

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    As new generations of Pokeémon games grace our presence, we trainers expect four things;: new content, new pokePokémon, new abilities, and new moves. All of these are staples to the games.

However, every now and again a new innovation pops up and changes the face of competitive play, sometimes permanently. Among these metagame defining moves would be Scald.

On paper, the move doesn't seem all that impressive. JustScald has a Base Power of 80, which is noticeably less than its predecessor Surf. However, what separates Scald from the other Water moves is the 30% chance of burning its target. A, and this leaves its targets in a bit of a quandary. After all, the only type immune to burns is the Fire type, which, of course, is weak to Water. SoTherefore, by type alone, there is no safe switch-in.

Since this revelation, almost every Water-type that can learn the moveScald uses it on a regular basis. Your tTypical bulky Water-types appreciate the reasonable damage and burn rate, while offensive Water-types barely notice the damage drop from Surf. Aside from physically based Water-types like Gyarados, and those that unfortunately can't learn it (such as Lapras, for obvious reasons), you can all but guarantee that both your Water-type, and your opponent's, will be packing Scald.
    As new generations of Pokémon games grace our presence, we trainers expect four things: new content, new Pokémon, new abilities, and new moves. All of these are staples to the games.

However, every now and again a new innovation pops up and changes the face of competitive play, sometimes permanently. Among these metagame defining moves would be Scald.

On paper, the move doesn't seem all that impressive. Scald has a Base Power of 80, which is noticeably less than its predecessor Surf. However, what separates Scald from the other Water moves is the 30% chance of burning its target, and this leaves its targets in a bit of a quandary. After all, the only type immune to burns is Fire, which, of course, is weak to Water. Therefore, by type alone, there is no safe switch-in.

Since this revelation, almost every Water-type that can learn Scald uses it on a regular basis. Typical bulky Water-types appreciate the reasonable damage and burn rate, while offensive Water-types barely notice the damage drop from Surf. Aside from physically based Water-types like Gyarados, and those that unfortunately can't learn it (such as Lapras, for obvious reasons), you can all but guarantee that both your Water-type, and your opponent's, will be packing Scald.
    As previously stated, Scald has a 30% chance to burn the target, effectively halving their Attack stat and taking timely portions of their HP away from them. This deters most physical attackers from even switching into a suspected Scald user, for fear of rolling the dice and coming off worse. A burned physical sweeper is essentially useless, saveexcept for a few rare exceptions (such as those with Guts).

For those with recovery, a burn slows them down considerably, and forces them to click Recover every other turn or so, while Pokeémon without recovery aren't far fromessentially crippled by it. SUpon switching in, taking damage from the obligatory entry hazards, and then the opponentfoe's attack, and then burn damage, is can quickly add up to hefty amount of damage.
    As previously stated, Scald has a 30% chance to burn the target, effectively halving their Attack stat and taking timely portions of their HP away from them. This deters most physical attackers from switching into a suspected Scald user, for fear of rolling the dice and coming off worse. A burned physical sweeper is essentially useless, except for a few rare exceptions (such as those with Guts).

For those with recovery, a burn slows them down considerably, and forces them to click Recover every other turn or so, while Pokémon without recovery essentially crippled by it. Upon switching in, taking damage from the obligatory entry hazards, the foe's attack, and burn damage, can quickly add up to hefty amount of damage.

The infamous Crocune, more or less an unchanged set since the inception of Calm Mind back in Generation 3, has only been made stronger with Scald in its arsenal. Now physical attackers - typically the only ones that can threaten Suicune due to it boosting specially - must be more wary than ever about switching in, because Scald gives Suicune a 30% chance of simply forcing the physical attacker back out again, which only gives Suicune more setup time. Calm Mind boosts both Suicune's bulkSpecial Defense and Scald's power at the same time, really pressuring the opponent to damage it before it's too late, while. Rest keeps Suicune healthy, meaning it can - in tandem with Sleep Talk - fire off more Scalds, and also set up more Calm Minds, making it a very dangerous oppPokémonent to face.

Other boosting Scald users include Slowbro and Manaphy.
    The infamous Crocune, more or less an unchanged set since the inception of Calm Mind back in Generation 3, has only been made stronger with Scald in its arsenal. Now physical attackers—typically the only ones that can threaten Suicune due to it boosting specially—must be more wary than ever about switching in because Scald gives Suicune a 30% chance of simply forcing the physical attacker back out again, which only gives Suicune more setup time. Calm Mind boosts both Suicune's Special Defense and Scald's power, pressuring the opponent to damage it before it's too late. Rest keeps Suicune healthy, meaning it can—in tandem with Sleep Talk—fire off more Scalds and also set up more Calm Minds, making it a very dangerous Pokémon to face.

Other boosting Scald users include Slowbro and Manaphy.
    Despite its paltry base 45 Special Attack, the big fish Alomomola stands out as a Scald user due to its tremendous natural bulk. With its huge HP stat and Regenerator, Alomomola is able to pass mammoth-size Wishes to its team-mates and keep itself healthy at the same time when it switches out, which really makes it difficult to wear down, and thus enables it to keep switching in and annoying its opponents some more. While Alomomola won't be dealing much damage with Scald, the threat of a burn is always prevalent, not to mention essentially boosting its already daunting physical bulk even farther, and adding much needed chip damage. ItScald and Knock Off work splendidly together by wearing targets down and providing insight into the targets's strategies, while Protect simply makes sure Alomomola can heal itself with Wish in a pinch. Those who never use Knock Off, or who need a more reliable means of breaking their opponents down, can instead use Toxic for slow but steady damage.

Among other Scald abusing Wish passers, Vaporeon stands out with its far superior firepower, noticeably better special bulk, and access to Heal Bell, which allows it to act as a cleric as well as pass Wishes. Vaporeon pales in comparison to Alomomola in higher tiers, however, due to it pressuring the opponent with the combination of Wish and Regenerator.
    Despite its paltry base 45 Special Attack, the big fish Alomomola stands out as a Scald user due to its tremendous natural bulk. With its huge HP stat and Regenerator, Alomomola is able to pass mammoth-size Wishes to its teammates and keep itself healthy at the same time when it switches out, which really makes it difficult to wear down and enables it to keep switching in and annoying its opponents. While Alomomola won't be dealing much damage with Scald, the threat of a burn is always prevalent, not to mention essentially boosting its already daunting physical bulk even farther, and adding much needed chip damage. Scald and Knock Off work splendidly together by wearing targets down and providing insight into the target's strategies, while Protect simply makes sure Alomomola can heal itself with Wish in a pinch. Those who never use Knock Off, or who need a more reliable means of breaking their opponents down, can instead use Toxic for slow but steady damage.

Among other Scald abusing Wish passers, Vaporeon stands out with its far superior firepower, noticeably better special bulk, and access to Heal Bell, which allows it to act as a cleric as well as pass Wishes. Vaporeon pales in comparison to Alomomola in higher tiers, however, due to it pressuring the opponent with the combination of Wish and Regenerator.
    Despite Scald being primarily a defensive move, Water-type powerhouse Keldeo is a big fan of it. It's an accurate, reliable STAB move that can burn targets for chip damage and keep opposing clerics busy, not to mention picking off weakened targets when Keldeo can't risk Hydro Pump missing. Choice Scarf sets can clean up late game with powerful, relatively accurate moves, while Choice Specs Keldeo excels in punching through tough walls with its massive Special Attack, notably being one of very few Special attackers that can get around Chansey and Blissey thanks to its infamous Secret Sword.

Other offensive Scald users include Starmie, Empoleon, and Mega Blastoise among others. While the former two are far more likely to run a Life Orb instead of a Choice item, and Mega Blastoise is restricted to its Blastoisinite, all three are proficient at using Scald offensively.
    Despite Scald being primarily a defensive move, Water-type powerhouse Keldeo is a big fan of it. It's an accurate, reliable STAB move that can burn targets for chip damage and keep opposing clerics busy, not to mention picking off weakened targets when Keldeo can't risk Hydro Pump missing. Choice Scarf sets can clean up late game with powerful, relatively accurate moves, while Choice Specs Keldeo excels in punching through tough walls with its massive Special Attack, notably being one of very few Special attackers that can get around Chansey and Blissey thanks to its infamous Secret Sword.

Other offensive Scald users include Starmie, Empoleon, and Mega Blastoise among others. While the former two are far more likely to run a Life Orb instead of a Choice item, and Mega Blastoise is restricted to its Blastoisinite, all three are proficient at using Scald offensively.
    Jellicent's unique Water/Ghost typing and access to Water Absorb give it plenty of opportunities to switch in and wall opponents with its mixed bulk. Scald is, of course, a staple of its moveset, but Jellicent gets Recover, which only supplements its longevity further. GettBurning burned by a Jellicent'sfoes with Scald would helps to patch up Jellicent's mediocre physical bulk, while also pressuring clerics to keep the team healthy, and also complementing Hex perfectly by boosting the move's power. Those not wanting to use Hex can instead take advantage of Jellicent's ready access to Taunt, which allows the ghostly jellyfish to disrupt stall teams surprisingly well.

Other Scald users with recovery include Slowking, Milotic and Quagsire. The former two are generally more specially defensive whereas Quagsire is usually physically defensive,; however, all three use Scald very well due to their overall bulk and ability to stay healthy.
    Jellicent's unique Water/Ghost typing and access to Water Absorb give it plenty of opportunities to switch in and wall opponents with its mixed bulk. Scald is, of course, a staple of its moveset, but Jellicent gets Recover, which only supplements its longevity further. Burning foes with Scald helps to patch up Jellicent's mediocre physical bulk, while pressuring clerics to keep the team healthy and also complementing Hex perfectly by boosting the move's power. Those not wanting to use Hex can instead take advantage of Jellicent's ready access to Taunt, which allows the ghostly jellyfish to disrupt stall teams surprisingly well.

Other Scald users with recovery include Slowking, Milotic and Quagsire. The former two are generally more specially defensive whereas Quagsire is usually physically defensive; however, all three use Scald very well due to their overall bulk and ability to stay healthy.
    Tentacruel's good Speed, rare typing, and access to both Toxic Spikes and Rapid Spin givesmake it great control over the matchupideal for entry hazard control. Much like Jellicent, Tentacruel really appreciates Scald burning its targets to help its average physical bulk, allowing it to better check physical attackers. Scald also combines exceptionally well with Knock Off and Toxic Spikes to weaken its targets, and allow for a sweeper to mop them up late game.

Tentacruel's other effective combo would be Scald and Acid Spray. The latter lowers the target's Special Defence by two stages upon contact, which of course makes them twice as vulnerable to the subsequent Scald, and thus, can leave serious dents. Physical setup sweepers must be especially wary of this tactic, because they could be crippled by it before they even have chance to set up.

Defensive Starmie is another Pokeémon that can use both Scald and Rapid Spin. Its niche over Tentacruel is the ready access to Recover, as well as Natural Cure, a better movepool, and more raw power. Tentacruel's useful resistances to Fighting and Fairy keep it prominent, however.
    Tentacruel's good Speed, rare typing, and access to both Toxic Spikes and Rapid Spin make it ideal for entry hazard control. Much like Jellicent, Tentacruel really appreciates Scald burning its targets to help its average physical bulk, allowing it to better check physical attackers. Scald also combines exceptionally well with Knock Off and Toxic Spikes to weaken its targets and allow for a sweeper to mop them up late game.

Tentacruel's other effective combo would be Scald and Acid Spray. The latter lowers the target's Special Defence by two stages upon contact, which makes them twice as vulnerable to the subsequent Scald, and thus, can leave serious dents. Physical setup sweepers must be especially wary of this tactic because they could be crippled by it before they even have chance to set up.

Defensive Starmie is another Pokémon that can use both Scald and Rapid Spin. Its niche over Tentacruel is the ready access to Recover, as well as Natural Cure, a better movepool, and more raw power. Tentacruel's useful resistances to Fighting and Fairy keep it prominent, however.

I changed the wording on Araquanid because technically its pre-evolution, Dewpider, gets Water Bubble too.
    As you may have expected, Scald is by no means an easy move to work around. As previously stated, the only type immune to its burning effect is weak to the move itself, which effectivewould theoretically leaves no safe switch-ins. However, there are some key answers:.

Water Absorb and Similar Abilities

The likes of Volcanion, Gastrodon and Toxicroak are all able to switch into a Scald free of charge thanks to their abilities that preventing damage from Water damage-type moves. In Volcanion and Toxicroak's cases, they are even healed by the attack, while Gastrodon's Storm Drain would see a Scald boosting its Special Attack, only making it more threatening to face. These three Pokeémon (and many others, including Jellicent, Heliolisk and Vaporeon) are therefore able to switch into Scald all day long if they wanted to.

Natural Cure

The likes of Chansey, Starmie and Roserade are blessed with the rare Natural Cure, which heals status conditions as the user switches out. This makes these Pokeémon ideal for switching into a Scald, because even if they are burned by the attack, they can simply switch out again andto heal ithe burn. Many Natural Cure users also have ready access to recovery too, meaning they can scome in again and again. It's also worth noting that many Natural Cure users also have a fair amount of bulk and/or resistance to Water, allowing them to sponge a Scald fairly well.

Clerics

Pokeémon with the moves Aromatherapy and Heal Bell have little to fear from a burn, and thus, can switch into Scald a lot more easily than most simply because they can heal the affliction afterwards. While the two moves have few PP, many common users of the move tend to have plenty of special bulk and recovery options in their favour, which lessens the impact. Exemplary clerics are Sylveon, Clefable and the aforementioned Chansey.

Rest

While it does leave the user vulnerable for two turns, Rest can be used to recover HP and heal status conditions at the same time, which of coursecan removes Scald's threat all but entirely. In tandem with Sleep Talk, Rest users can even somewhat reliably attack, thus reducing the pressure on both the user and their team-mates. Typical Rest users include Snorlax, Suicune, and Shaymin, the latter of which combines Rest with its Natural Cure to keep itself status free.

Magic Guard

A rare but wondrous ability, Magic Guard userscan be found on Pokémon such as Clefable, Reuniclus and even Sigilyph, cand it allows them to switch into Scald with little to fear. Even if they are burned by the move, their ability will prevent them from taking damage at the end of the turn, meaning they will last far longer. Magic Guard users tend to have recovery too, meaning they can tank multiple Scalds throughout the match if needed.

Water Bubble

A recently unveiled ability, Water Bubble is essentially the combination of Water Veil and Heatproof, in that because it prevents burns, and halves damage from Fire-type moves. The soWater Bubble recipient ofis thise signature ability, of Araquanid, which excels at tanking Scald due to its mammoth-size special bulk.

Guts

While far less ideal than the previously listed options, bulky Guts users like Hariyama and Assault Vest Conkeldurr have the ability to tank a Scald or two, and then take advantage of the burning effect by actually increasing their power. However, this should only be considered a last ditch option, because Guts Pokeémon with the bulk to tank Scald generally aren't fast enough to do anything about it, and those that have the Speed will generally die to two at the most. The Guts strategy will also backfire horribly if Scald does not burn them upon hitting. It is also worth noting that Conkeldurr's ready access to Drain Punch gives it a somewhat reliable form of recovery, meaning it can come in a bit more often than other Guts users.
    Scald is by no means an easy move to work around. As previously stated, the only type immune to its burning effect is weak to the move itself, which would theoretically leave no safe switch-ins. However, there are some key answers.

Water Absorb and Similar Abilities

The likes of Volcanion, Gastrodon and Toxicroak are all able to switch into a Scald free of charge thanks to their abilities that prevent damage from Water-type moves. In Volcanion and Toxicroak's cases, they are even healed by the attack, while Gastrodon's Storm Drain would see a Scald boosting its Special Attack, only making it more threatening to face. These three Pokémon (and many others, including Jellicent, Heliolisk and Vaporeon) are therefore able to switch into Scald all day long.

Natural Cure

The likes of Chansey, Starmie and Roserade are blessed with the rare Natural Cure, which heals status conditions as the user switches out. This makes these Pokémon ideal for switching into a Scald because even if they are burned by the attack, they can simply switch out again to heal the burn. Many Natural Cure users also have ready access to recovery too, meaning they can come in again and again. It's also worth noting that many Natural Cure users have a fair amount of bulk and/or resistance to Water, allowing them to sponge a Scald fairly well.

Clerics

Pokémon with the moves Aromatherapy and Heal Bell have little to fear from a burn, and thus, can switch into Scald a lot more easily than most simply because they can heal the affliction afterwards. While the two moves have few PP, many common users of the move tend to have plenty of special bulk and recovery options, which lessens the impact. Exemplary clerics are Sylveon, Clefable and the aforementioned Chansey.

Rest

While it does leave the user vulnerable for two turns, Rest can be used to recover HP and heal status conditions at the same time, which can remove Scald's threat entirely. In tandem with Sleep Talk, Rest users can somewhat reliably attack, thus reducing the pressure on both the user and their teammates. Typical Rest users include Snorlax, Suicune, and Shaymin, the latter of which combines Rest with its Natural Cure to keep itself status free.

Magic Guard

A rare but wondrous ability, Magic Guard can be found on Pokémon such as Clefable, Reuniclus and even Sigilyph, and it allows them to switch into Scald with little to fear. Even if they are burned by the move, their ability will prevent them from taking damage at the end of the turn. Magic Guard users tend to have recovery too, meaning they can tank multiple Scalds throughout the match if needed.

Water Bubble

A recently unveiled ability, Water Bubble is essentially the combination of Water Veil and Heatproof because it prevents burns and halves damage from Fire-type moves. Water Bubble is the signature ability of Araquanid, which excels at tanking Scald due to its mammoth-size special bulk.

Guts

While far less ideal than the previously listed options, bulky Guts users like Hariyama and Assault Vest Conkeldurr have the ability to tank a Scald or two and take advantage of the burning effect by actually increasing their power. However, this should only be considered a last ditch option because Guts Pokémon with the bulk to tank Scald generally aren't fast enough to do anything about it, and those that have the Speed will generally die to two at the most. The Guts strategy will also backfire horribly if Scald does not burn them upon hitting. It is also worth noting that Conkeldurr's access to Drain Punch gives it a somewhat reliable form of recovery, meaning it can come in a bit more often than other Guts users.

Spoovo The Pirate and Joyverse like this.
  34. Spoovo The Pirate

Alright, thanks for all of that ET. I figured it probably needed a bit of work, seeing how chopped up it got. I'll implement this later on today, I hope. :)

35. Spoovo The Pirate

UPDATE: And that's that. Sorry it took so long for what's essentially a copy-pasta (I added a couple of inconsequential words to it), but I've been damn busy lately.

Also, is a conclusion necessary? Or is everything that needs said already said?

36. E.T.

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    I think a brief conclusion would be nice. You could basically summarize Scald, that it has several ways to be used, and that there are several ways to deal with it. You could also say something along the lines of "Going into Generation 7, the damage dealt by burn has been reduced, so only time will tell if Scald will remain as prominent in Generation 7 as it has been in Generations 5 and 6."

37. Spoovo The Pirate

Makes sense to me. I'll get that done.

EDIT: I added this;

"With great neutral coverage, an extremely desirable secondary effect, a reasonable base power and exceptional distribution due to it being a TM move, Scald has continued to polarise the metagame since its inception, perhaps becoming the most influential move of Gen 5. Its impact may have been hindered just slightly in the most recent generational shift (Sun and Moon) due to burn damage being halved, however the move remains exceptionally useful."

Looking good?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  38. Sobi

PO Trainer Name:
    Sobi
    "With great neutral coverage, an extremely desirable secondary effect, and a reasonable Base Power, Scald has continued to polarize the metagame since its inception, perhaps becoming the most influential move of BW. Its impact may have been hindered just slightly due to SM's mechanic changes and burn damage being halved; however, the move remains exceptionally useful."

removed tm mention because that's irrelevant
    polarise / polarize - choose one based on whether you wrote the analysis with british / american english
    generational shift sounds awkward really, my change is more explicit ig

approve

39. Spoovo The Pirate

I wouldn't say the fact that it's TM distributed is irrelevant personally? It shows that a lot of Pokemon get easy access to it, rather than as an egg move or whatever.

As for polarise, I chose polarise because I use UK English. *shrug*

40. E.T.

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    "...exceptional distribution due to it being a TM move..."

I think the underlined portion should stay because Scald's distribution is relevant. One of the reasons that Scald is frequently used is because it can be learned by most Water-types. However, the reason for its distribution—TM 55—is not really important from the perspective of battle simulator players, so that can be excluded.

Also, advancing this to [Final].

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.