1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cool Sets to Use: OU - Mixed Life Orb Mew

Discussion in 'Article Review' started by Annoying Orange, Oct 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    [​IMG]

Mew @ Life Orb
    Trait: Synchronize
    EVs: 64 Atk / 192 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Rash/Naive Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)/(+Spd, -SDef)
    - Ice Beam
    - Flamethrower
    - Vacuum Wave
    - Earthquake

Everyone's favorite little pink Pokemon is tired of sitting on the back-burner as your last resort stealth rock user, or something to try to burn the opposing team with. Mew is angry now and is out for kills, and killing is exactly what this set is for. People seem to overlook Mew's offensive capabilities along with its endless movepool and underrated 100 base speed. Most people aren't expecting this cute, innocent Pokemon to OHKO some of their best threats to your team, but it can, and it will.

Ice Beam has, since first generation, been one of the best offensive moves. With Landorus-T being a staple in 90% of OU teams in ORAS, Ice Beam is a really nice move to have. Ice beam also very easily 2HKO's other popular bulky pokemon such as Hippowdon and Amoonguss. It's also a great coverage move to have in general, because there's still a lot of dragon usage, despite the addition of the nearly broken fairy type. Flamethrower has a very nice (83.1%) chance to OHKO Ferrothorn after rocks damage and will easily take out any Scizor.

The next move is a bit of a fun one. The opponent will most likely know your mew is offensive before sending in their Bisharp. This is where you get another easy kill with Vacuum Wave. This is why I may suggest Rash Nature over Naive, because Rash has an 87.5% chance to OHKO most Bisharp whereas Naive only has a 37.5% chance to OHKO.

If you want, you can run max Sp.Atk with four special moves, but that will more than likely leave one Pokemon to come in on you, Heatran. Heatran also likes to switch in on Mew's Will-O-Wisps, making it easily vulnerably to the last move in your move slot, Earthquake. 64 Attack EVs give you an 87.5% chance to OHKO 252 HP Heatran or guarantee a kill after stealth rocks. Not only that, but earthquake hits a lot of other pokemon in the metagame hard. Another pokemon that likes to switch in on possible Wisps is Volcanion. Earthquake will also hits max HP Volcanion for 36-43% which is really nice, especially after rocks.

Some other options would be STAB Psychic/Psyshock for just how hard they can hit. Amoongus and Keldeo aren't going to take one very well. Knock off is optional as sometimes people will switch into Latias/Blissey against Mew. Thunderbolt is good type coverage for your bulky water pokemon. Sludge Wave is nice for things like Clefable, Azumarill, and Diancie.

In conclusion, this Mew set can easily be a game changer against any opponent, easily catching them off guard. Within a few turns, half of your opponents team can be gone, putting a lot of pressure on them. Or you can come in later and pick off some threats, allowing one of your other Pokemon to come in and clean up the rest. After using this Mew, I don't think you'll ever overlook this cute, little threat.​

2. Joyverse

Joyverse Back for a blast!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    OMG. What's the point of EQ when it has FocBlast/EPower? Fthrower over Fire Blast? Blast OHKOes. Psyshock hits Amoon. It's great that u tried around Mew but if it sucks than I might have to say no.

--- Post updated ---
    I have more to say when I get on a PC.

3. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    because fire blast misses, fblast misses . if you want to assure ohkos without rocks against non threatening ferros for some reason you can run max sp.atk whereas eq wont do its job as well. And most heatrans are specially bulky or offensive. Earthquake is easily killing after rocks and has a chance to without them.

I've actually been using the set on PS. It has several other options but EQ fit it best for me after working with it for awhile.

However if you want to run max special attack EP it's also optional.

4. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Sorry if I sounded too harsh in my post before but no, just because both fire/focus blast miss doesn't mean it won't be a viable fit in a moveset. That's enough for now, just because I am on my phone. Like said b4, I'll post a bigger breakdown on a pc.

5. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    Well, as I was saying, they are optional, but not a necessity.
    It is easily a good, viable set but if you'd prefer for some reason, I can make one for just a regular LO Mew.

As for amoonguss, psychic/psyshock are both 2hkos as well as ice beam/ft. I put them as options for keldeo/conkeldurr but I see no point in picking them for amoonguss.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  6. E.T.

E.T. Random Slowpoke Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    I'm not convinced that running a mixed set just for a better chance to OHKO Heatran is worth it. If you ran max Special Attack with Earth Power, the damage output would be about the same. You say that running four special moves makes it easier for Heatran to switch in on you, but if it switches into Earth Power, it doesn't matter how specially defensive it is, and if it has an Air Balloon, Earthquake won't do any better. Earth Power also does a better job with Volcanion. The only notable thing that Vacuum Wave hits is Bisharp, so it would probably be better to run something else there. Most of the things that you are talking about hitting with Ice Beam are things that probably don't want to stay in vs Mew anyway since they don't want to be burned and can't do much to the more common stall-breaker variant. The other options also seems out of place here because its like you are saying "This is a cool set to use, but here are 15 other sets that you can use too."

I think a better set to discuss offensive Mew would be a Nasty Plot set or a Swords Dance set, but I don't think Mixed LO is going to work.

7. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    I agree with the first part, but vw also hits Weavile. Both of those mons have been pretty common on the ladder over there and mew has done its job well vs the 2. And I was saying there are other optional moves but the OP set was the best set.

8. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    There? Where?
    Either way, It's just better to go with a fully special set. Also any set, I mean any set has to be worth using in any proper metagame.

This is really strange. Thanks to your 192 SAtk EVs you miss the guaranteed OHKO on Bisharp. You should that 87.5% is never good percentage especially considering that the Knock Off following it will be highly likely to KO. You mentioned Weavile only now, btw with 192+ EVs it's a guaranteed 2HKO, and an OHKO with rocks on. Now, with 252+ EVs on, It gains a 12.5% chance to OHKO Weavile that to without rocks so again with rocks it OHKOes. These are probably worth mentioning as I heavily suggest changing the spread to full fast Special.

No, wait, before you start with Heatran, here I go.
    252+ SpAtk Life Orb Synchronize Mew Earth Power vs. 252 HP/252+ SpDef Heatran: 322 - 385 (83.4 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252+ SpAtk Life Orb Synchronize Mew Earth Power vs. 252 HP/0 SpDef Heatran: 442 - 525 (114.5 - 136%) -- guaranteed OHKO

A guaranteed 2HKO and an OHKO in the next spread. My question is: What is Heatran going to do versus the combination of Vacuum Wave+Earth Power?
    252 SpAtk Heatran Magma Storm vs. 0 HP/4 SpDef Life Orb Mew: 163 - 193 (47.8 - 56.6%) -- 86.7% chance to 2HKO
    252 SpAtk Heatran Fire Blast vs. 0 HP/4 SpDef Life Orb Mew: 178 - 211 (52.2 - 61.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Just dropping these, while I don't like c/ping calcs. I just had to do it in the thread. By the looks of it Mew has just no damn chance of losing against Heatran in any way, that is 1v1.

Since it is still a WIP. I'll cut you some slack on the formatting as it seems a bit odd as there aren't any specified subheadings anywhere and no C&C. Ice Beam is great as it is. But another suggestion is Fire Blast over Flamethrower. Slashing Flamethrower after FBlast is how I would go ahead with it. Vacuum Wave seems indispensable for the time being. Remove the mention of Knock Off cause we are going special. Psyshock/Psychic's mention could probably be nixed from here and slashed next to Ice Beam.

Also do mention that atleast a minimum spread of 72 HP/ 252 SAtk / 184 Spe would be necessary to beat Jolly Landorus-T.
    I think this is enough for now. You are free to argue about w/e changes I have suggested but the QCs and/or Leaders' opinion will be final.

9. gengar17

gengar17 someone turn this nothing into gengar

Taunt wisp mew beats lando, hippo, amoonguss, and ferrothorn, while preventing hippo and amoonguss who live to spore/sr.
    Wisp also beats bisharp, stallbreaker mew outspeeds it.

Heatran and volcanion hate being knocked, sure that getting the kill on tran can be nice, but the opportunity cost is huge.

Amoonguss is cockblocked by taunt + wisp, this will just get mew spored. Keldeo doesnt beat standard stallbreaker mew anyway which is spdef, u dont even suggest psy moves in the main options. Knock also makes keldeo less of a threat. standard stallbreaker easily is a latias switch in since it can stomach dracos from latis, and taunt knock obviously is the bane of blissey. Wisp taunt knock is good for bulky water pokemon, taunt knock is great for things like clefable, wisp is great for azumarill, and stallbreaker mew is fat enough to literally stall out diancie.
    in conclusion, at the expense of not being able to revenge kill weavile and heatran, u can now have a very powerful stall breaker that can destroy balance and stomach hits from offense and threatening nukes.
    Mew @ Leftovers
    Ability: Synchronize
    EVs: 252 HP / 144 SpD / 112 Spe
    Careful Nature
    - Taunt
    - Soft-Boiled
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Knock Off

Joyverse and E.T. like this.
  10. Annoying Orange

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    @Joyverse requesting deletion & I'll stick to article art.

11. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    I was going to second gengu's suggestion to change the overall set and then move on. But as it seems, you want a thread deletion. While I see no problems with it, I gotta ask @Aurist and @E.T. if they agree to it. Locking the thread for now.

12. E.T.

E.T. Random Slowpoke Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    Consider this one cancelled for now. I won't delete it because if someone wants to write about different Mew sets at some point, some of the the topics discussed here might be helpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.