1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pokémon of the Week: NU - Pyroar

Discussion in 'Article Review' started by Xdevo, Oct 16, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xdevo

Xdevo Phrasing Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

Like the other thread, this is more of a guide for what a PotW would look like and the sort of quality I would like to see in these.
    [​IMG]

Introduction

Pyroar is the epitome of a fast cleaner in NU. 106 Speed makes Pyroar one of the faster threats in NU, outspeeding such threads as Scyther, Mismagius, and Jynx. 109 Special Attack gives Pyroar enough power to threaten many of NU's walls, especially with the coverage that its STAB moves provide. Pyroar also benefits from a few disruptive moves that allow it to adequately cripple other defensive Pokemon.

Not all is well for the fiery lion; dual Normal- and Fire-typing grants Pyroar a number of major weaknesses, especially to Rock and thus Stealth Rock. This makes switching Pyroar into play difficult and gives Pyroar weaknesses to many of NU's priority (especially Aqua Jet and Mach Punch) which ruins Pyroar's surprisingly decent bulk. Also, while Pyroar may be pretty powerful in NU, it still has issues with some of NU more formidable walls, such as Vaporeon and Hariyama. Assault Vest users also tend to trouble Pyroar, as it very much cannot afford to continuously weaken them.

Sets

Offensive Lion

Pyroar @ Life Orb / Charcoal
    Trait: Unnerve
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SAtk
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Fire Blast
    - Hyper Voice
    - Hidden Power [Grass]
    - Taunt / Will-O-Wisp​

Pyroar is fairly adept cleaner
    ~The two STABs and HP Grass provide excellent coverage which is good since Pyroar's special movepool is pretty barren
    ~Taunt and Will-O-Wisp both allow Pyroar to cripple opposing supporting Pokemon, Will-O-Wisp also stops a few of Pyroar's more offensive switch-ins
    ~None of Pyroar's abilities are particularly useful, but Unnerve has the most marginal usefulness

~This set, unlike the Choice Specs set, eases prediction and doesn't need to switch in and out of play as often to be effective
    ~This set is a pretty great cleaner, so it synergizes well with wallbreakers that can weaken walls down to a point that Pyroar can take care of them.

Choice

Pyroar @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Unnerve
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SAtk
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Overheat / Fire Blast
    - Hyper Voice
    - Hidden Power [Grass]
    -Flamethrower​

~This set serves as a powerful hit-and-run cleaner as well as a wallbreaker against many balanced teams
    ~Overheat functions well with the constant switching that Choice Specs encourages, but Fire Blast is a bit more consistent
    ~Flamethrower lets Pyroar revenge kill or clean without dealing with accuracy issues

~Since this set will be switching in and out of play often, Defog or Spinner support is nearly required to keep Pyroar at higher health
    ~A strong defensive core to take the hits that Pyroar would be switching out of is also useful, especially for the many fighting-types that will be switching into Pyroar

Other Options

~Dark Pulse
    ~Hidden Power Electric
    ~Work Up
    ~Flame Charge
    ~Endeavor

Checks and Counters

~Assault Vest Hariyama
    ~Specially Defensive Rocks, especially Regirock
    ~Many Waters, Vaporeon, Lanturn, Mantine
    ~Despite great speed, things like Tauros, most Choice Scarf users, Archeops, and Accelgor can revenge kill
    ~Weak to a lot of NU's priority, Samurott, Kabutops, Gurdurr, Kangaskhan, and Hitmonchan can all do a good bit of damage.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    E.T., Jethalal, Professor Oak and 4 others like this.
  2. Joyverse

Joyverse Back for a blast!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    The article is great as it is but I have a small nitpick. I am not exactly well versed in this tier, and assuming most of our readers will be in the same boat; they will probably need a better explanation as to why the OOs are worth using over the standard moves, what it would hit, and things like that.

3. Professor Oak

Professor Oak same Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    This is still a skeleton currently, I imagine that would be added later.

4. Sobi

Sobi To be loved is a strength. To love is a weakness. Article Contributor Article Contributor

PO Trainer Name:
    Sobi
    Just wondering how this is getting on.

5. E.T.

E.T. Random Slowpoke Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    If this is going to be an article, I would like to see this start making some progress before we get too far into Sun & Moon. Even though we are still a long way away from SM NU starting, I think it would be better for this to be released while ORAS NU is still fresh in players' memory.

6. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    ^plus we REALLY need to get more POTW going because a week goes by quickly & the whole process here can be time consuming

7. E.T.

E.T. Random Slowpoke Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    tbh, Pokemon of the Week, as well as other "of the week" articles are probably going to be renamed to something a bit more logical since there isn't enough support for these article types to be released weekly. Due to the amount of time it can take to create these, they won't be released at a weekly rate until we have more writers and a small stockpile of articles, and so, I think a less restrictive title would be more appropriate. Pokemon Profile or Pokemon Spotlight are a couple of names that Joyverse and I have discussed.

Joyverse likes this.
  8. E.T.

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    I'm cancelling this since no progress has been made in over a month. @Xdevo if you still want to work on this eventually, let me know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.