1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

A bug in Doom Desire Damage Calculation

Discussion in 'Bugs and Fixes' started by fsk, Apr 23, 2016.

1. fsk

fsk Woke up after a long dream Forum Moderator Server Moderator Forum Moderator Server Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    fsk
    Well, I report so many bugs since I do lots of experiments and I genuinely hope the server can get better each day! So here we go:

Battle between demo1 and fsk started!

Tier: ORAS Balanced Hackmons
    Mode: Singles
    Rule: Unrated
    Rule: Team Preview
    Rule: Self-KO Clause

Start of turn 6
    Arceus Steel used Leech Seed!
    The foe's Dialga was seeded!

The foe's Dialga used Doom Desire!
    The foe's Dialga chose Doom Desire as its destiny!

The foe's Dialga's health is sapped by leech seed!

Start of turn 7
    fsk called Arceus Steel back!
    fsk sent out Kyogre!

The foe's Dialga used Tail Glow!
    The foe's Dialga's Sp. Att. drastically rose!

Start of turn 8
    The foe's Dialga used King's Shield!
    The foe's Dialga shielded itself against damage!

Kyogre used Quiver Dance!
    Kyogre's Sp. Att. rose!
    Kyogre's Sp. Def. rose!
    Kyogre's Speed rose!

Kyogre took the Doom Desire attack!
    It's not very effective...
    Kyogre lost 64 HP! (15% of its health)
    Kyogre regained health!
    Kyogre restored HP using its Poison Heal!

Start of turn 9
    Kyogre used Moonblast!
    The foe's Dialga lost 41% of its health!

The foe's Dialga used Doom Desire!
    The foe's Dialga chose Doom Desire as its destiny!

Start of turn 10
    demo1 called Dialga back!
    demo1 sent out Chansey!

The foe's Chansey transformed into Kyogre!
    Kyogre used Moonblast!
    A critical hit!
    The foe's Chansey lost 17% of its health!
    The foe's Chansey's Sp. Att. fell!

Start of turn 11
    The foe's Chansey used Moonblast!
    Kyogre lost 55 HP! (13% of its health)

Kyogre used Moonblast!
    The foe's Chansey lost 8% of its health!

Kyogre took the Doom Desire attack!
    It's not very effective...
    Kyogre lost 162 HP! (40% of its health)
    Kyogre restored HP using its Poison Heal!

The above is the test log on PO, and here is the bug description:

Dialga, with Doom Desire and Tail Glow is a common combo in Balanced Hackmons, where with Tinted Lens, it can deal a great deal of damage:

+3 252+ SpA Adamant Orb Tinted Lens Dialga Doom Desire vs. +1 252 HP / 252 SpD Kyogre: 348-410 (86.1 - 101.4%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

At turn 8, Kyogre has one Quiver Dance Boost, and Doom Desire hits, only deals 15% of health!
    According to the Strategy Dex of PS, it should work in the following way:
    http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/dialga/bh/

IIRC, Doom Desire receives STAB, is steel type, works with Tinted Lens, and calculate the user's Special Attack and the hit Pokémon's Special Defense at the time damage is dealt.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Doom_Desire_(move)
    Check GEN VI bulbagarden for description.

Apparently, right now on PO, Doom Desire calculates damage from the attack that the user HAD on the turn the move was chosen, not the time when damage is dealt; also, even with +0
    252+ SpA Adamant Orb Tinted Lens Dialga Doom Desire vs. +1 252 HP / 252 SpD Kyogre: 138-164 (34.1 - 40.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
    So another possible bug is that Tinted Lens is also bugged with Doom Desire.

Also, when Dialga switches out, its spa sets back to +0; so at turn 11, it should deal damage as it is a +0 Doom Desire, which deals 40 percent at most. The damage turns out to be correct but the mechanism must be wrong, since it is a result without consideration of tinted lens but considered the tail glow boost Dialga had in Turn 9 when using the move, which should no longer exist atm.

--------
    Quick Summary:
    1. Doom Desire should calculate damage by using the user's Special Attack and the hit Pokémon's Special Defense at the time damage is dealt, which is not the case rn.
    2. Doom Desire should work with Tinted Lens and receives a double in damage if it is not effective, which is not the case rn.
    3. Doom Desire no longer receives the Special Attack Boost if the user switched out, i.e. its spa is set back to +0, which is not the case rn.

(Test on 3DS is needed: Jirachi with Calm Mind set up and see what the damage is, once set up before uses it and then switches out before it hits, the other set up after using it and stay when it hits; in that way we can see the difference.)
    (Also Skill Swap a Tinted Lens to it so we can see the real damage when it hits water/steel/fire etc.)

Thx for reading and much appreciate!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
    Zoroark, Joyverse and turbedi like this.
  2. Fuzzysqurl

Fuzzysqurl baa baa mareep I do what I want Server Owner Developer I do what I want Server Owner Developer

There's specifically a commit recently that removes the Tinted Lens bonus. Requesting in game tests of this.

3. Strudels

Strudels ・◡・ Super Moderator Server Administrator Super Moderator Server Administrator

PO Trainer Name:
    Strudels/Ripper Roo
    Sorry this took awhile. Doom Desire does take Tinted Lens into account.

4. Fuzzysqurl

Fuzzysqurl baa baa mareep I do what I want Server Owner Developer I do what I want Server Owner Developer

Fun, so something else gets bugged to fix this bug asdf.
    I guess I gotta go digging to see what that code was put in for and see if i can split them apart :(

5. fsk

fsk Woke up after a long dream Forum Moderator Server Moderator Forum Moderator Server Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    fsk
    Thx for the test in game!
    Also did you test the damage calculation thing time(see bullet point 1 and 3 in my post, or bulbapedia link above) ? It may be hard to understand, post your questions herepm me or if u find it necessary.
    I read the code for Doom Desire on github...kinda painful and it takes time to fix it i guess... so good luck! I believe in u :)
    Also, if Doom Desire is bugged, I suggest also check Future Sight for similar issues.

6. turbedi

turbedi Professional circle clicker ~~~ Forum Moderator Developer Forum Moderator Developer

PO Trainer Name:
    turbedi
    Doom Desire and Future Sight share the same code.

7. Fuzzysqurl

Test this please:

1. Tinted Lens -> Doom Desire -> stay in -> record damage
    2. Tinted Lens -> Doom Desire -> switch out (so the move hits when you are no longer in battle)-> different damage?
    3. Some inert pokemon -> Doom Desire -> switch to Tinted Lens -> does damage get boosted by Tinted Lens?***

***If yes:
    Tinted Lens -> Doom Desire -> switch to different Tinted Lens -> how does this compare to a normal usage (test #1)?

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    fsk likes this.
  8. fsk

PO Trainer Name:
    fsk
    For now, I can't find anyone testing the following, which is the first issue we need to determine. "Doom Desire calculates damage by using the user's Special Attack and the hit Pokémon's Special Defense at the time damage is dealt." Quoted from pedia
    So indeed please take the bug report as two separate issues:
    1) The Doom Desire ALONE:
    -test precedure: a) Jirachi calm mind, then use Doom Desire, stays another turn to see the damage against some pokemon
    b) Jirachi use Doom Desire, then calm mind after that, stays another turn to see the damage against the same pokemon
    c) Jirachi use Doom Desire, then calm mind after that, and switch out next turn so it is not on field when the hit took place, to see the damage against the same pokemon
    d)Jirachi calm mind, then use Doom Desire, and switch out next turn so it is not on field when the hit took place, to see the damage against the same pokemon
    e) Jirachi use Doom Desire, do nothing and stays for 2 turn, see the original damage against this pokemon
    If Bulbapedia and Smogon Analysis is correct, the result should be that a) b) shares the same damage; c) d) e) shares the same damage, i.e. the damage is calculated at the time the hit takes place; leaving battle field equals no set up.

2)Doom Desire with Tinted Lens, only can be correctly tested after we truly understand the Doom Desire mechanism itself.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  9. Strudels

Strudels ・◡・ Super Moderator Server Administrator Super Moderator Server Administrator

PO Trainer Name:
    Strudels/Ripper Roo
    Bulbapedia and Smogon are correct.

a = b & c = d = e

1. uh huh
    2. Yes, 1 does more damage than 2
    3. If I got this right: Regular Jirachi --> Cast Doom Desire --> Switch to a Tinted Lens Pokemon --> Target does not take boosted damage

fsk likes this.
  10. fsk

PO Trainer Name:
    fsk
    Thx a lot for the test!
    One question though. Since Jirachi obtains Tinted Lens from Skill Swap, when it switches out, it no longer has that ability. But in Hackmons, such ability stays because it is Hackmons.

To test it more accurately, I suggest that you may use Tinted Lens Sigilyph with Future Sight. It is possible in such a way that the double damage from Tinted Lens remain even after switching out, since the Sigilyph itself has Tinted Lens after switching out and can possibly affect the calculation of damage. So for fuzzy's 1) and 2), it can actually be equal.
    (Your test of 3) of Fuzzy has no problem.)

11. Fuzzysqurl

Does switching out then back in affect the damage? You'd need Sigilyph for this too.

FS -> Switch out -> Switch back in -> Same damage as if you stayed in?

12. Strudels

PO Trainer Name:
    Strudels/Ripper Roo
    Eugh, HA Sigi with FS is a massive pain to get. I'll edit when I can get results.

@Pokemonistan is cool and hooked me up with bird

Retested, same results.

Yes.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
    fsk likes this.
  13. Fuzzysqurl

So in other words: If the caster is on the field at the time of hitting, it applies any bonuses available. Otherwise it has no bonuses applied.

fsk and Strudels like this.
  14. Fuzzysqurl

How about this one:

Doubles battle -> Use FS/DD on a pokemon -> Kill that pokemon so that your opponent only has 1 pokemon left (the slot not targetted by FS/DD) -> does the move deal damage?