1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Final] Gliscor

Discussion in 'Ubers Analyses' started by ZoroDark, Aug 15, 2014.

1. ZoroDark

ZoroDark i know everything

I was bored to death during a 4 hour car drive so I decided to do this on my phone. i'm exceeding limit of max mons at one point but at least someone is doing anything this way and i'm trustworthy so ya.

[​IMG]

Overview:
    • Looks like a bat-ass jajajaja xD
    • Pretty good typing
    • Arguably one of the best defensive abilities in the game in Poison Heal
    • subpar hp, atk and spdef stats, but very useful def and speed stats
    • Good support move pool with moves like Roost, SR and Taunt
    • Faces competition from Lando-T and Groudon but has distinct advantages over them (Roost, Taunt, Speed). the latter 2 fit better on offensive teams while gliscor's niches shine on more defensive teams.
    • Exposed and easily overwhelmed on the special side

Set

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
    Trait: Poison Heal
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Stealth Rock / Taunt
    - Toxic
    - Earthquake
    - Roost

• Good SR setter who can set it up multiple times throughout the match
    • Toxic is Gliscor's primary means of doing damage
    • Roost keeps Gliscor healthy throughout the game and lets it check dangerous threats like Ho-Oh or Zekrom throughout the match
    • eq is a nice consistent stab
    • Max def is pretty much mandatory not to get overwhelmed
    • Taunt really sets Gliscor apart from its fellow bulky Grounds and makes it a fearsome stall breaker but finding another SR user that doesn't overlap with Gliscor might be challenging
    • As is a sub toxic set but you won't have sr and most sr setters have the same profile of gliscor

Other options:
    • Taunt is pretty great but 4mss
    • Subtoxic works albeit not as good as in ou
    • Knock off to remove items
    • Fling to have a one-shot taunt proof toxic
    • SD or Iron Defense + Baton Pass
    • Sand veil can do various cool stuff like SD sweeping or defogging but it's generally outclassed

Team options
    • Can't go wrong with special walls. SpDef Kyogre, Waterceus, Grassceus, Blissey, Xerneas are the best ones and all form a neat mini-core. Tyranitar gets a special mention for trapping gengar as well as being a hard counter to yveltal

Checks and counters
    • Water types like Kyogre and Palkia blast it to pieces and sometimes run rest nullifying toxic
    • strong special attackers genre Yveltal overpower the bat quite easily
    • strong set up sweepers will likely overpower it too but will have to deal with toxic. Refresh CM Arceus gets a special mention
    • pokemon who don't care about toxic like eq-neutral steel types (Ferrothorn mainly tbh) or rest talkers don't mind what gliscor can throw at them

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  2. Ramiel

Ramiel On our backs. In our hearts.

PO Trainer Name:
    Gurren Lagann
    Uh. I'm sure 95 Attack, 75 Special Defense, 75 HP isn't good all around - maybe mention its stats are mediocre all around but defense? 95 Atk is kinda mediocre in Ubers, and I think the primary reason for running Glis over Lando-T or Groudon would be its Stallbreaking capacities due to its immunity to status and Taunt. It surely deserves a slash on the main set.

Also, mention that Gliscor's role is different from Lando-T or Groudon in that it's normally used on Stall rather than Offense as Groudon/Lando-T acts as an offensive pivot, and Gliscor's power is rather mediocre but gets reliability, Recovery, and Taunt.

Tyranitar deserves a mention in Team options maybe. A great combo since the old days. Even now, it tanks many powerful special hits meant for Glis from Yvel or Gengar not called Focus Miss. It should also be mentioned Gengar can choose to not mega evolve and render Glis useless bar setting up rocks, and Ttar traps it nicely.

Ferrothorn also deserves a mention if there's no taunt, as Leech Seed lets it tank weak EQs for the rest of eternity, and setup layers and layers of spikes. If Taunt gets added in the main set, then discard this option.

Also, mention how Sand Veil sets can use Defog if you plan on mentioning it.

ZoroDark likes this.
  3. ZoroDark

ya i didn't have access to its actual stats in the car and from good memory it's tough to kill, it's fast and it doesn't quite hit like a wet towel and it's fast but I'll change the sentence

Where to slash taunt tho help

EDIT: ok actually made the edits now

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  4. ZoroDark

Besides having a cool design (bat-ass is a term that comes to mind), Gliscor is a very useful Pokémon in Ubers. A handy typing, coupled with a great Defense stat and arguably one of the game's best abilities in Poison Heal make it a solid stop to most physical attackers in the tier. Its support move pool includes coveted moves like Roost, Stealth Rocks and Taunt. Gliscor's stats are middling outside of Defense and Speed, though. It doesn't hit very hard and most Special Attacks will knock Gliscor out. It also faces stiff competition from Landorus-T and Groudon, both of whom are more powerful and slightly bulkier. Gliscor has certain advantages over its competition, namely longevity, more Speed and Taunt.

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
    - Stealth Rock / Taunt
    - Toxic
    - Earthquake
    - Roost

Gliscor is a Good Stealth Rocks setter because it can set them up multiple times throughout the game. Toxic is Gliscor's primary means of doing damage. Roost coupled with Toxic Heal keeps Gliscor healthy at all times and lets it consistently check dangerous physical attackers like Zekrom or Ho-Oh. Earthquake is a nice STAB move and it's generally Gliscor's best attacking option. Knock Off makes Gliscor even more annoying to face, but Mega Lucario and Mega Blaziken beat you now. Maxing out Defense is pretty much mandatory on Gliscor. Otherwise the physical attackers that Gliscor is supposed check, would run over it. When using Gliscor, you should always be careful about activating Toxic Orb. Don't let it get Knocked Off or let Gliscor get burned.

Team options:
    Special walls to take on the special attackers that trouble Gliscor make for good team mates. Specially Defensive Kyogre, Arceus-Water, Arceus-Grass, Blissey, Xerneas are the best ones and all form a neat mini-core. Tyranitar gets a special mention for trapping Gengar as well as being a hard counter to Yveltal.

Other options:
    A speedier Stallbreaker set with Taunt is also viable, but you lose out on Stealth Rocks. This is especially problematic because most other Stealth Rocks have the same profile of Gliscor.
    A SubToxic set is also viable but it suffers from the same flaws as the Stallbreaker set.
    Fling is a one-shot Toxic that gets past Taunt. Only useful when facing Stalltwo.
    Gliscor can also Baton Pass Iron Defense and Swords Dance boosts, but that's very gimmicky.

Checks and Counters:
    - Water types like Kyogre and Palkia blast Gliscor to pieces and sometimes run Rest, essentially nullifying Toxic.
    - Strong special attackers genre Yveltal overpower it quite easily.
    - Strong set up sweepers will likely overpower it too, but will have to deal with Toxic. Refresh CM Arceus gets a special mention for not caring about that.

Now GP can destroy the confidence I have about writing in English :)

5. sulcata

sulcata stéphane curry best waifu Forum Moderator Server Administrator Forum Moderator Server Administrator

6. Sobi

Sobi To be loved is a strength. To love is a weakness. Article Contributor Article Contributor

PO Trainer Name:
    Sobi
    Apologies for bumping a more-than-a-year-old thread, but I noticed that a) this is still marked with the "Grammar" tag and b) the on-site analysis has a lot of grammar mistakes such as "Stealth Rocks" being used and a missing hyphen in x-type.

Besides having a cool design (bat-ass is a term that comes to mind), (too casual / fluff; unless PO analyses are not pseudo-formal, I see no reason to keep this) Gliscor is a very useful Pokémon in Ubers. A handy typing, coupled with a great Defense stat and arguably one of the game's best abilities in Poison Heal, (comma) make it a solid stop to most physical attackers in the tier. Its support movepool (one word) includes coveted moves like Roost, Stealth Rocks Rock, (comma) and Taunt. However, (comma; transition would be nice) Gliscor's stats are middling outside of Defense and Speed, though. (redundant with "However,") It doesn't hit very hard and most special attacks (decapitalize) will knock Gliscor out. It also faces stiff competition from Landorus-T and Groudon, both of whom which (Pokemon are not people; "which" > "who/whom") are more powerful and slightly bulkier. Gliscor has certain advantages over its competition, namely longevity, more Speed, (comma) and access to Taunt.

Gliscor (M) (is gender really necessary?) @ Toxic Orb
    - Stealth Rock / Taunt
    - Toxic
    - Earthquake
    - Roost

Gliscor is a good Stealth Rocks Rock setter because it can set them up multiple times throughout the game. Toxic is Gliscor's primary means of doing dealing (you do not "do" damage) damage. Roost, (comma) coupled with Toxic Heal, (comma) keeps Gliscor healthy at all times and lets it consistently check dangerous physical attackers like Zekrom or Ho-Oh. Earthquake is a nice STAB move and it's generally Gliscor's best attacking option. Knock Off makes Gliscor even more annoying to face, but Mega Lucario and Mega Blaziken will beat it if it chooses to run it (something to show that this is an option was needed) beat you now. Maxing out Maximum Defense EVs is are pretty much mandatory on Gliscor, (comma) as otherwise, . Otherwise the physical attackers that Gliscor is supposed to check, would will run over it. When using Gliscor, you should always be careful about activating Toxic Orb. Don't let it get Knocked Off or let Gliscor get burned.

Team Options:
    Special walls to take on the special attackers that trouble Gliscor make for good teammates. Specially defensive (do not capitalize stuff like "physically defensive", "specially defense", and "mixed attacker") Kyogre, Arceus-Water, Arceus-Grass, Blissey, and Xerneas are the best ones and all form a neat mini-core (a core is only 2-3 Pokemon, how can it get smaller than that?). Tyranitar gets a special mention for trapping Gengar as well as being a hard counter to Yveltal.

Other options:
    A speedier stallbreaker set with Taunt is also viable, but you lose out on Stealth Rocks Rock. This is especially problematic because most other Stealth Rocks Rock have the same profile of Gliscor. (I'm sorry, what?) A SubToxic set is also viable but it suffers from the same flaws as the stallbreaker set. Fling is allows for a one-shot Toxic that gets past Taunt, (comma) but it's only useful when facing Stalltwo (Is this a common name? If so, keep it) . Only useful when facing Stalltwo. Gliscor can also Baton Pass Iron Defense and Swords Dance boosts, but that's very gimmicky.

Checks and Counters:
    - (remove hyphen) Water-types (add hyphen) like Kyogre and Palkia blast Gliscor to pieces and sometimes run Rest, essentially nullifying Toxic.
    - (remove hyphen) Strong special attackers genre such as Yveltal overpower it Gliscor quite easily.
    - (remove hyphen) Strong setup (one word) sweepers will likely overpower it too, but they will have to deal with Toxic. Refresh CM Calm Mind Arceus gets a special mention for not caring about Toxic that.

Besides having a cool design, Gliscor is a very useful Pokémon in Ubers. A handy typing, coupled with a great Defense stat and arguably one of the game's best abilities in Poison Heal, make it a solid stop to most physical attackers in the tier. Its support movepool includes coveted moves like Roost, Stealth Rock, and Taunt. However, Gliscor's stats are middling outside of Defense and Speed. It doesn't hit very hard and most special attacks will knock Gliscor out. It also faces stiff competition from Landorus-T and Groudon, both of which are more powerful and slightly bulkier. Gliscor has certain advantages over its competition, namely longevity, more Speed, and access to Taunt.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
    - Stealth Rock / Taunt
    - Toxic
    - Earthquake
    - Roost

Gliscor is a good Stealth Rock setter because it can set them up multiple times throughout the game. Toxic is Gliscor's primary means of dealing damage. Roost, coupled with Toxic Heal, keeps Gliscor healthy at all times and lets it consistently check dangerous physical attackers like Zekrom or Ho-Oh. Earthquake is a nice STAB move and it's generally Gliscor's best attacking option. Knock Off makes Gliscor even more annoying to face, but Mega Lucario and Mega Blaziken will beat it if it chooses to run it. Maximum Defense EVs are pretty much mandatory on Gliscor, as otherwise the physical attackers that Gliscor is supposed to check will run over it. When using Gliscor, you should always be careful about activating Toxic Orb. Don't let it get Knocked Off or let Gliscor get burned.

Team Options:
    Special walls to take on the special attackers that trouble Gliscor make for good teammates. Specially defensive Kyogre, Arceus-Water, Arceus-Grass, Blissey, and Xerneas are the best ones and all form a neat core. Tyranitar gets a special mention for trapping Gengar as well as being a hard counter to Yveltal.

Other options:
    A speedier stallbreaker set with Taunt is also viable, but you lose out on Stealth Rock. This is especially problematic because most other Stealth Rock have the same profile of Gliscor. A SubToxic set is also viable but it suffers from the same flaws as the stallbreaker set. Fling allows for a one-shot Toxic that gets past Taunt, but it's only useful when facing Stalltwo. Gliscor can also Baton Pass Iron Defense and Swords Dance boosts, but that's very gimmicky.

Checks and Counters:
    Water-types like Kyogre and Palkia blast Gliscor to pieces and sometimes run Rest, essentially nullifying Toxic. Strong special attackers such as Yveltal overpower Gliscor quite easily. Strong setup sweepers will likely overpower it too, but they will have to deal with Toxic. Refresh Calm Mind Arceus gets a special mention for not caring about Toxic.

Please do tell me if I did anything wrong, and I apologise in advance if I did. I am not too familar with PO's guidelines regarding writing style so please look over my edits in the first spoiler and feel free to implement whatever you agree with. Hope this helped!

7. Lacus Clyne

Lacus Clyne This might get unpleasant!

PO Trainer Name:
    Lacus Clyne
    Gliscor isn't even viable anymore. .-.

prof.dragonite, Joyverse and sulcata like this.
  8. sulcata

sulcata stéphane curry best waifu Forum Moderator Server Administrator Forum Moderator Server Administrator

analyses arent even viable anymore .-.

E.T., Joyverse and Arceus_17 like this.
  9. RedJoker25

RedJoker25 Resident Lurker Server Moderator Article Contributor Server Moderator Article Contributor

PO Trainer Name:
    RedJoker25
    While that's true at the moment, a few analyses have recently popped up and if we've got people willing to help out, I'm all for it. With Sun / Moon around the corner, who knows what might happen in the future.

@Sobi
    As for the grammar check, I do have a few notes:

Besides having a cool design, Gliscor is a very useful Pokémon in Ubers. A handy typing, coupled with a great Defense stat and arguably one of the game's best abilities in Poison Heal, make it a solid stop to most physical attackers in the tier. Its support movepool includes coveted moves like Roost, Stealth Rock, and Taunt. However, Gliscor's stats are middling outside of Defense and Speed. It doesn't hit very hard, and most special attacks will knock Gliscor out. It also faces stiff competition from Landorus-T and Groudon, both of which are more powerful and slightly bulkier. On the other hand, (I feel a transition is needed since the next sentence is a complete turnaround from the previous one) Gliscor has certain advantages over its competition, namely longevity, more Speed, and access to Taunt.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
    - Stealth Rock / Taunt
    - Toxic
    - Earthquake
    - Roost

Gliscor is a good Stealth Rock setter because it can set them up multiple times throughout the game. Toxic is Gliscor's primary means of dealing damage. Roost, coupled with Toxic Heal, keeps Gliscor healthy at all times and lets it consistently check dangerous physical attackers like Zekrom or Ho-Oh. Earthquake is a nice STAB move and it's generally Gliscor's best attacking option. Knock Off makes Gliscor even more annoying to face, but Mega Lucario and Mega Blaziken will beat it if it those that chooses to run it. (Overuse of "it" since different antecedents apply to different instances in the same sentence. I'm not convinced the addition is needed due to Knock Off not appearing in the importable set that this paragraph describes, but nothing is really hurt by explicitly stating Knock Off is an option so it's fine to have.) Maximum Defense EVs are pretty much mandatory on Gliscor, as otherwise the physical attackers that Gliscor is supposed to check will run over it. When using Gliscor, you should always be careful about activating Toxic Orb. Don't let it get Knocked Off or let Gliscor get burned.

Team Options:
    Special walls to take on the special attackers that trouble Gliscor make for good teammates. Specially defensive Kyogre, Arceus-Water, Arceus-Grass, Blissey, and Xerneas are the best ones and all form a neat core. Tyranitar gets a special mention for trapping Gengar as well as being a hard counter to Yveltal.

Other options:
    A speedier stallbreaker set with Taunt is also viable, but you lose out on Stealth Rock. This is especially problematic because most other Stealth Rock users have the same profile of as Gliscor. (Not going to pretend I understand what this means, but as far as grammar goes, I assume this is what's meant.) A SubToxic set is also viable but it suffers from the same flaws as the stallbreaker set. Fling allows for a one-shot Toxic that gets past Taunt, but it's only useful when facing Stalltwo. Gliscor can also Baton Pass boosts from Iron Defense and Swords Dance boosts, but that's very gimmicky. (This is entirely a personal choice to be honest; it's not incorrect but the number of capitalized words in a row felt obnoxious.)

Checks and Counters:
    Water-types like Kyogre and Palkia blast Gliscor to pieces and sometimes run Rest, essentially nullifying Toxic. Strong special attackers such as Yveltal overpower Gliscor quite easily. Strong setup sweepers will likely overpower it too, but they will have to deal with Toxic. Refresh Calm Mind Arceus gets a special mention for not caring about Toxic. (I assume CM is normally used with Refresh but since it doesn't actually do anything to Toxic, I don't feel it needs to be mentioned. If Refresh Calm Mind is the name of a set or something important like that, I'd be happy to fix this edit.)

Besides having a cool design, Gliscor is a very useful Pokémon in Ubers. A handy typing, coupled with a great Defense stat and arguably one of the game's best abilities in Poison Heal, make it a solid stop to most physical attackers in the tier. Its support movepool includes coveted moves like Roost, Stealth Rock, and Taunt. However, Gliscor's stats are middling outside of Defense and Speed. It doesn't hit very hard, and most special attacks will knock Gliscor out. It also faces stiff competition from Landorus-T and Groudon, both of which are more powerful and slightly bulkier. On the other hand, Gliscor has certain advantages over its competition, namely longevity, more Speed, and access to Taunt.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
    - Stealth Rock / Taunt
    - Toxic
    - Earthquake
    - Roost

Gliscor is a good Stealth Rock setter because it can set them up multiple times throughout the game. Toxic is Gliscor's primary means of dealing damage. Roost, coupled with Toxic Heal, keeps Gliscor healthy at all times and lets it consistently check dangerous physical attackers like Zekrom or Ho-Oh. Earthquake is a nice STAB move and generally Gliscor's best attacking option. Knock Off makes Gliscor even more annoying to face, but Mega Lucario and Mega Blaziken will beat those that choose to run it. Maximum Defense EVs are pretty much mandatory on Gliscor, as otherwise the physical attackers that Gliscor is supposed to check will run over it. When using Gliscor, you should always be careful about activating Toxic Orb. Don't let it get Knocked Off or let Gliscor get burned.

Team Options:

Other options:

A speedier stallbreaker set with Taunt is also viable, but you lose out on Stealth Rock. This is especially problematic because most other Stealth Rock users have the same profile as Gliscor. A SubToxic set is also viable but suffers from the same flaws as the stallbreaker set. Fling allows for a one-shot Toxic that gets past Taunt, but it's only useful when facing Stalltwo. Gliscor can also Baton Pass boosts from Iron Defense and Swords Dance, but that's very gimmicky.

Checks and Counters:

Water-types like Kyogre and Palkia blast Gliscor to pieces and sometimes run Rest, essentially nullifying Toxic. Strong special attackers such as Yveltal overpower Gliscor quite easily. Strong setup sweepers will likely overpower it too, but they will have to deal with Toxic. Refresh Arceus gets a special mention for not caring about Toxic.

Other notes:
    1) Gender is provided by PO's importable so while it's not technically needed in this case, it's not incorrect. It's more of a convenience choice since sets are usually copied directly from PO with slashed options added in afterwards.
    2) StallTwo is / was apparently a thing according to http://pokemon-online.eu/threads/34587/ so I'm going to leave it.
    3) The "Bat-ass" thing is a bit too informal, so I support removing it.

Beyond that, nice work on this analysis. I appreciate you taking initiative in an otherwise (mostly) dead section and hope the previous comments (from me as well as others) don't discourage you from continuing on other (possibly more recent) analyses.

<for the record: uploaded>

Joyverse and Sobi like this.