1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(Voting) Community Battle #61 - Isa vs Dude24 (Gen 1 OU)

Discussion in 'Voting Section' started by Kyrk, Jul 10, 2014.

?

Rate this video!

1. 10

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. 9

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. 8

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. 7

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. 6

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. 5

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Kyrk

Kyrk KACAW

PO Trainer Name:
    RTG

Narrated by Isa
    Edited by Derwin

We would like to know what you thought about the narration.
    On a scale of 1 to 10 - 1 is terrible, 5 is average, and 10 is perfect - please vote on this.
    We request that you also make a post explaining why you chose the rating you voted on with your criticism - this is to help potentially improve the narrators and/or editors for future videos!

2. Ortheore

Ortheore One beautiful monster

I initially gave it a 5 but I've decided that was maybe harsh, but I can't change it now. 6 or 7 is probably more appropriate.

Obviously Isa knows his stuff and this is reflected in his commentary, superb content. On the other hand I found the narration kind of stuttery and I didn't really like the voice (sorry, but yeah, that's just how I felt).

Going through the teams before the battle was kinda interesting given that it's obviously a non-wifi meta. Personally I think that I'd have not revealed the teams, especially since there wasn't much said about the matchup. Though to be fair, I guess there wouldn't be much to be said anyway, since most teams are fairly similar in their lineup and there's not a lot to be said based solely on that info unless they're running a niche mon or something with a specific counter. Neither team really had much of interest based solely on the lineup so I guess it didn't matter too much

Edit: Rewatched it and I was definitely way too harsh (sorry), idk why tbh.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  3. Isa

Isa Well-Known Tauros

PO Trainer Name:
    Isa
    If I take a moment to criticize myself, I really need to learn how not to stutter (poor Derwin had to listen to me being nervous a lot)

I went through the teams prior to the start of the game because the other videos on here have done so, figured why not even if WiFi Clause is not a thing.

I'll link you to my written war story I did on the same piece, where I believe I can put my thoughts into more concrete and detailed thoughts better:
    http://rby2k10.proboards.com/thread/1855/isa-dude24-po-league-game

4. marcoasd

marcoasd Well-Known Member

I'm the one who selected 10. Still, the main point is, this is not the best battle I've ever seen tbh. I'd say that the Exeggutor ditto was risky for you, while Dude's Stun Spore on your Egg is automatic grounds for arrest. The usage of Lapras left a lot to be desired as well (had to switch in at 4:50 or 7:40), and the video lacks a lot of key matchups you want to see (Snorlax vs Chansey: Counter/Reflect/Sing etc etc), Rhydon using Sub vs paralyzed things... also, I suppose Dude's Tauros should've Hyper Beamed in any case at the end, cause 25% of Substitute+ Hyper Beam damage would've put Rhydon into Blizzard's range (not guaranteed, but good)- while it looks like Tauros was able to survive EQ.
    The commentary is fine overall, while imo it should be more focused on what could happen with different movesets.

5. Jørgen

Jørgen Sniper

Narration was very good. I'd have done it the same way, although maybe specified some crucial damage calcs (e.g., Rhydon's HB [37-43%] rarely KOes Isa's Egg at 41%, Dude's Tauros almost always dies to Rhydon EQ [38-45%] at 39%). Very minor point, and something that would likely require multiple takes.

6. sulcata

sulcata stéphane curry best waifu Forum Moderator Server Administrator Forum Moderator Server Administrator

Really amazing narration. Very few things I disliked and a lot that I loved.

The building excitement (pacing and tone) in your voice towards the end was great when it started coming down to the speed ties, predictions, etc; not too drawn out or over emphasized, very subtle, which is great. The explanation of the sets was done quite well without lingering too much on any one detail. Essentially it was just enough to know who had the advantage, which is perfect for a short narration. Explaining matchups as who is more likely to come out on top (such as Gengar Confuse Ray no Night Shade vs Para'd Egg) was a really great method you chose to showcase how a lot of RBY is calculated luck. You definitely showcase your confidence/expertise in the tier which really helps to prevent the viewer from "second guessing" some of the things you said.

Not really going to comment much on the quality of the game since I don't know RBY, but the match seemed alright with few if any misplays and minimal "gimmick" sets.

Only two major things come to mind to improve. The pacing of your numbers (damages rolls, health left, etc) could be improved a little bit in my opinion around the 3/4ths mark in the video (you can simplify specifics like 3% health since the exact health isn't too important). I feel like at a few points I got a little lost in too numbers, but I still could follow the pace of your narration at least. The other thing would be a little more control over your pitch. Towards the end of a few of your sentences (mostly in the opening) you seem to shift into a much higher tone which sort of throws me off a bit (I'm guessing it's the nerves?); although, I am using earphones as my headphones broke recently and they make the pitch differences a lot more drastic I've noticed so it might not be too big of an issue.

A quick suggestion for Derwin; the music really helped bring up the excitement of the match, but it might just need to be just little bit lower (not too much). I found that I could still hear and pay attention to Isa, but it got a little distracting at times. Otherwise great video editing.
    Nevermind rewatched I think it's fine.

tl;dr: gj, loved it, listening a third time.

edit: why'd I say kyrk i meant derwin im dumb, tired, etc

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
    Isa likes this.
  7. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom Active Member

8. The narration was good, but the music should have been cut or the narration should have been dubbed louder as the music is loud enough to make it hard to understand. There are also noticeable sound artifacts from the 20% compression.

8. Laurel

Laurel Well-Known Member

hot vid 10/10 isa too hard on urself bro