1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

Team Styles Discussion

Discussion in 'Gen 6 LC' started by Weavile, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Weavile

Weavile Phoenix

This thread is for discussion of team styles in Little Cup, what ones do you think work well and why. Also which do you think are not viable and why? What can be done to work around some of the problems faced by certain team styles?

2. Yagura

Yagura

PO Trainer Name:
    Yagura
    Well, in my opinion Hyper Offense is the most common play style in the metagame at the moment and Knock Off in my opinion is the main reason behind that since it removes important items in other play styles like Eviolite and Berry Juice (when that bug is fixed). Also there are many wall breakers that got unbanned in this gen like Murkrow, Pawniard, Meditite...

But Stall got more stuff in this generation thanks to bulky Fairy types that resist Dark and Fighting which are one of the main attacks in the metagame, but it's still got some negatives because of Knock Off and the Steel type nerf which made Pokémon like Bronzor which ,were really effective last gen, useless.

3. Chlorine Trifluoride

Chlorine Trifluoride You were saying?

PO Trainer Name:
    Sexy Cat
    Weather viability just went down the drain. Damn nerf...Its still usable I know (did use rain after all~) but its just so damn hard to use.

Trick room is imo the most viable field effect to use as it takes Hyper offense and shits on EVERYTHING they try to do. Just about every poke can be used in it if you lower there IVs enough and it has several viable sweepers and setters

Wonder room is an interesting field effect that disables all items for a period but is unfortunately hampered by low distribution. The only notable pokes to get it are Natu, misdreavus and Abra. Another flaw is that it had it priority changed so you will have to take a hit without your evio then rek shit.

Gravity isn't BAD but it isnt EASY to pull off. Coupled with sticky web it can be used to fuck over murkrow, misdreavus, fletchling and so on. It has a few viable users such as staryu, ferroseed, magnemite and some others that don't come to mind. Its also great for Zap Cannon c:

Id go on but im lazy :B

4. Weavile

Weavile Phoenix

See I think raw HO is inferior to Regular Offense or Balance. I think bulky mon are still extremely useful and a couple sponges go a long way toward mitigating how much unexpected Scarf Missy/Murkrow or the Trick Room ClF3 mentioned can fuck with raw HO.

5. Rioku

Rioku Not again.

PO Trainer Name:
    Shou
    Slamming through opponents with a solid bulky offense is great. Lileep is the most beastly bulky attacker in the tier imo(omg offensive Lileep guys) and it works great in FWG cores with stuff like Ponyta and Chinchou. There are lots of options for bulky teams too. Lots of bulky grass types that can sponge hits pretty well. Chinchou is a great water mon. Timburr is good, and Mienfoo can find a home on any bulky team as regenerator gives it great pseudo bulk. Lots of other mons work well too.

Imo hyper offense isn't a tier dominating force even though every team you see on the ladder is HO. HO can't break through well prepared bulky teams like it used to.

6. Yagura

Yagura

PO Trainer Name:
    Yagura
    I totally agree with you about Balance being better than HO but Hyper Offense is, like I said, the most common playstyle in the metagame at the moment. This actually makes Stall using some walls really effective for countering the ladder. Trick Room and Sticky Web is also decent options since you can counter most of the battles since HO relies mainly on speed.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  7. Noog

Noog So much potential...

Considering how HO is so common, I think Trick Room might have a place in the tier. HO typically relies on fast and strong attackers, but TR turns that on its head and makes the HO team likely slower. Fake Out might pose a bit of a problem, but TR setters should be able to tank a few and heal back up. Porygon's a must for TR, though, as it's the only TR setter not weak to Ghost and Dark.

8. Chlorine Trifluoride

PO Trainer Name:
    Sexy Cat
    *cough* spritzee *cough*
    TR is actually one of the most viable playstyles right now because of how much HO there is. Most TR setters already have recovery and its sweepers are fucking stong af. The problem is its pretty hard to set up. Along with that is when you DO get it set up its pretty easy to stall the turns out .-.

9. Mylo Xyloto

Mylo Xyloto if your world falls apart, i'd start a riot

PO Trainer Name:
    Mylo Xyloto
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Sun as a playstyle is actually quite underrated right now. The power auto sun bring to Fire types by boosting their Fire moves is fantastic. Pokemon like Vulpix, Ponyta, Larvesta and Houndour can easily break their usually c&c with an exeptionally powerful Flare Blitz or Fire Blast. Chlorophyll Grass types like Bulbasaur and Bellsprout are blazing fast and can abuse Solar Beam not having a charge turn. Most Grass types also have access to Growth which is also upgraded under sun, giving an instand +2 in both the users attacking stats. Bellsprout also has access to a 150 BP Weather Ball for Steel types that resists it STABs. With things like Sleep Powder and Hidden Power also up their sleave, gl taking that down. Other misc abusers of sun are Solar Power mons. These are rare with the most common user Helioptile. Others include Charmander and Sunkern(LOL).

Sun isnt perfect and has multiple c&c. Munchlax is one of the best switch ins due to it fantastic special bulk and its Thick Fat ability. Munchlax must, however, be wary of Sleep Powder or Growth variants of Chlorophyll mons as Munchlax risks being 2hko'd. Scarf Snover can revenge ChloroMons with Blizzard. Cloud Nine Lickitung ignores weather and has enough bulk to tank multiple assaults. Also needs to be wary of Sleep Powder. Bulky mons like Porygon and Missy are shaky. Prankster Twave from mons like Murkrow cripples ChloroMons. Strong priority like Ice Shard from Swinub(<3), Sucker Punch from Murkrow or Fake Out + Bullet Punch combo from Meditite. Sticky Web heavily cripples sun. Other hazards also cripple sun as team generally stack up on Fire types and can helps wear other mons down, with the help of LO recoil. Other things that I'm missing...

Sun is a powerful team style that needs a lot of support, but when done right it could prove successful. I'll comment on other styles when I get time.

10. Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom Long time hater of stall

I've made a Trick Room team in LC and it's doing well - so far I'm in the top 30 and climbing! Elgyem works well in TR because unlike Solosis it can actually take a hit.

11. Chlorine Trifluoride

PO Trainer Name:
    Sexy Cat
    Anyone wanna talk baton pass? Its one of those playstyles I've been too lazy to try. Not sure how it actually does since its like a 50/50 win loss ratio against it (I've literally gone against the same team back to back to back to back and alternated the results each time). Its got a whole host of viable passers each with there own quirks and some terrifying sweepers such as lileep/inkay(suction cups), meditate(also gets baton pass~), fletch/murk (prio recovery :v), natu (pretty much espeon) and really whatever the hell else you wanna sweep with. Has the same problems here as it does in OU really with crits and stuff from what I've seen.
    Also noticed that dual screen support makes this damn near unstoppable but getting the screens up is...well damn near impossible.

12. Yagura

Yagura

PO Trainer Name:
    Yagura
    Baton Pass seems as good in LC as in other metagames in paper and it gets a lot of things that make Baton Pass a really decent playstyle other than the ones ClF3 noted above:

[​IMG]Torchic[​IMG]: In every Baton Pass team a Pokémon with the Speed Boost ability and access to Baton Pass is important to make the tactic successful and effective, and in LC the only Pokémon that fulfills those requirements is Torchic. Its usefulness doesn't stop there since it has access to Swords Dance which makes it even better and a more important component of every Baton Pass team in Little Cup, but unfortunately it's very predictable.

[​IMG]Shelmet[​IMG]: Shelmet is also a cool cute Pokémon to have in every Baton Pass based team, first of all it has a decent bulk and accompanied with Recover it becomes a feared Pokémon. It also has access to Acid Armor that raises the Defense stat by +2.

[​IMG]Mienfoo[​IMG]: Mienfoo is a Pokémon that makes Baton Pass even more viable. First, with its ability Regenerator it can Baton Pass and gain 1/3 of its HP back. It also has access to stat boosting moves,that are important in every Baton Pass team, like Swords Dance, Calm Mind, and Bulk Up.

[​IMG]Mime Jr.[​IMG]: This Pokémon is fit to play a huge role in Baton Pass teams, it has a decent special bulk and with access to Encore, Calm Mind, Taunt, Barrier and other moves that make it an essential Pokémon in Baton Pass teams, it also has two cool abilities: the first is Filter that reduces the damage Mime Jr. takes from super effective moves which makes Mime Jr even bulkier, the second ability is Soundproof which makes Mime Jr. immune to Roar that can cripple Baton Pass teams. Also, in this generation this Pokémon gained the Fairy type which made it even more effective and safer to use.

But even then Baton Pass still has a lot of weaknesses mainly in:

-Haze: This move removes all stat changes of the Pokémon in the battlefield which completely ruins Baton Pass teams that rely mainly on stat boosts. But this move isn't really common in LC and its only common user is Murkrow and it can be blocked by Taunt.

-Taunt and Encore: These two moves cripple Baton Pass teams if they don't have something that checks them since Taunt stops the Pokémon from setting up and passing the boosts and Encore makes a Pokémon locked within one move which makes the Pokémon kind of useless.

-Perish Song: This move makes the Pokémon using the move and the opponent faint after three turns as long as they don't switch and it cannot be avoided by Baton Passing.

-Topsy-Turvy: This move can be considered the hell of Baton Pass teams since it reverts all of the target's stat changes (Positive changes becomes negative, and vice versa.), but this move is really rare and only used by the uncommon Inkay.

As a conclusion, Baton Pass is a team style that is worth trying out but its results aren't always guaranteed to be successful.

13. Celebi.

Celebi. Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    SheerForceGatr/Bulba
    @Yagura I have tried BP in LC plenty of times. Either I'm just bad at running it, or it is just extremely difficult to run in the tier. I feel like full BP teams aren't worth it, but running BP like 3rd and 4th gen may be viable passing boosts to Pokemon to sweep instead of just using BP all around.

The biggest problems with BP I have found are:
    Speed
    Taking hits

@Chlorine Trifluoride
    I don't like Natu because it can't get BP and Magic Bounce, but I guess it isn't too much of an issue if you want to run BP like 3rd/4th gen. I definitely need to try running it with Screens because I actually haven't tried that yet.

EDIT: Remade the team and Flying moves are a pain in the ass as there is nothing even relatively decent to take a hit. Fletchling is Public Enemy #1. You can't out bulk it, you just have to kill it ASAP.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  14. Chlorine Trifluoride

PO Trainer Name:
    Sexy Cat
    Another pretty viable playstyle (and my favorite in every tier): Momentum/Pivot/switch stall

Thereason Ithink its so viable:
    it alleviates prediction orrewards your switch
    it constantly gives you a good matchup
    it gives your stall another form of chip damage
    and most important: it prevents the opp from getting momentum of their own

several common pokes fit perfectly on these teams; mienfoo, chinchou, vullaby, laresta and archen fit well. A few uniqe options such as shelmet (via baton pass), natu and zubat can also be used.

But Beryl, isn't using only voltturnpassers limiting? To this i emphasize the "switch" part of switch stall. Things with regenerator, natural cure, intimidate, frisk, flame body/static or some other switch ability also do well on these teams. Thus foongbro, staryu and co fit well. Obviously a few more utilities are recommended such as a cleric, taunter, knock off absorber and hazard controll but that gos without saying :v

obviosly there are flaws, but a good majority are easily overcome.
    also yay for not being in the mood for LoL >.>