1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[WIP] Zekrom

Discussion in 'Ubers Analyses' started by Raducan, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Raducan

Raducan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

General:
    With great offensive stats in conjunction with powerful Electric/Dragon-type STAB moves, Zekrom is one to look out for when playing in the Ubers tier. Zekrom can devastate teams with Bolt Strike or Outrage or throw in a surprise element Draco Meteor when utilizing its above average Special Attack. Zekrom also has the Teravolt ability, which negates the opponent's ability when attacking. Zekrom also has a distinct advantage over most of the other Dragon-types within the tier, being able to hit Fairies hard with Bolt Strike, disallowing their ability to switch in freely. Although Zekrom's offensive capability is tremendous, it lacks poor defensive potential and has a slightly barren movepool. Even though Dragon/Electric resists many of the common moves in the tier, Zekrom is better off running offensive sets as it does not have reliable recovery outside of rest or the support movepool. It also shares a common weakness along with a handful of hard-hitting Ubers with its Speed stat. Zekrom's two STAB moves also come with two common types being immune to them, meaning that it has to be careful in the late-game of not spamming the moves. Although these flaws are notable, Zekrom's offensive presence is undoubtedly something to be wary of.

Choice Scarf:
    Zekrom @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Teravolt
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Adamant / Jolly / Naughty Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Bolt Strike
    - Volt Switch
    - Outrage
    - Sleep Talk / Draco Meteor

This is Zekrom's main set. It serves as an amazing revenge killer in the tier. Although this set doesn't contain the wall-breaking power that the Choice Band set had, Choice Scarf patches up Zekrom's base 90 Speed stat turning it into an effective revenge killer. Bolt Strike and Outrage are the two immensely powerful STAB moves that Zekrom can use, dealing great damage to anything unresisted. As this is a revenge killing set, Volt Switch is the best option for the last slot, as it allows the player to gain switch advantage while dealing damage. Sleep Talk is so that it can switch into Darkrai and use Sleep Talk to avoid being useless. Draco Meteor can be used as an alternative to nail physical walls upon switch-in. If Draco Meteor is used, be sure to switch the Nature to Naughty, to not hinder any damage output. The caveat to this is that Zekrom is often the sole check to Kyogre on offensive teams, so the -SDef Nature might hinder its capability to do so.

Choice Band:
    Zekrom @ Choice Band
    Adamant / Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Bolt Strike
    - Dragon Claw
    - Outrage
    - Sleep Talk / Volt Switch

Taking full advantage of Zekrom's incredible stats along with its powerful STAB moves is its Choice Band set. With Bolt Strike and Outrage powered up by STAB and Choice Band, Zekrom can do serious damage to anything that doesn't resist them. Dragon Claw is used so that Zekrom can deal consistent damage without being locked into Outrage and eventually revenge killed. Sleep Talk is used on this set to take advantage of the Sleep status that gets spread around in the tier, mostly by Darkrai or Smeargle. Fusion Bolt can be used if the power of Bolt Strike is not needed, but the accuracy is. Volt Switch is nice to gain momentum on opponents.

Mixed:
    Zekrom @ Life Orb
    EVs: 252 Atk / 92 SAtk / 164 Spd
    Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
    - Bolt Strike
    - Draco Meteor
    - Dragon Claw / Tailwind
    - Focus Blast / Tailwind

Taking a different approach with Zekrom's stats, the Mixed set utilizes Zekrom's above average Special Attack stat. The EVs for this set maximizes Bolt Strike's power. The Special Attack EVs allow Zekrom to 2HKO Groudon with Draco Meteor and Ferrothorn with Focus Blast. Tailwind can be used to patch up Zekrom's middling Speed stat, ensuring that it will outspeed Choice Scarf Terrakion after the boost, with the EVs.

Hone Claws:
    Zekrom @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Substitute
    - Hone Claws
    - Dragon Claw / Outrage
    - Bolt Strike

To take advantage of the many walls that like to come in on Choice Zekrom, Hone Claws in combination with Substitute can make Zekrom unpredictably effective, especially with the likes of Ferrothorn; which this set uses as set-up bait. 252 HP gives Zekrom enough bulk for its Substitute to survive any hit that a common wall can dish out. Hone Claws increases Zekrom's Attack and Accuracy, making it a dangerous threat. Dragon Claw is used for a reliable Dragon-type STAB damage output. Outrage can be used as an alternative, however, one must be wary about the looming Fairy-types that go about in the tier. Bolt Strike, lastly, is used for a powerful Electric-type STAB. Because Hone Claws increases Accuracy as well as Attack, Bolt Strike will be a safe bet after one boost without having to rely on the lesser-powerful Fusion Bolt.

Other Options:
    Even with the accuracy deficiency, Bolt Strike is still the better option over Fusion Bolt, but it is an option if one wants a move to be 100% reliable. Hidden Power can also be beneficial to run on Zekrom to lure in Landorus-T or Gliscor. With Zekrom's movepool not being as diverse as some of the other Uber Pokemon, it is hard to find other options to effectively use. Zekrom learns Thunder Wave, Toxic, Roost and both Reflect and Light Screen, so a support set can be used if one desires its Electric/Dragon typing combination.

Checks and Counters:
    With its incredible strength and powerful STAB attacks, Zekrom is a very hard Pokemon to counter. There are ways to do it, however. With its 90 base Speed stat, Zekrom opens itself up to being revenge killed by many of the tiers Pokemon. Groudon is a reliable check to Zekrom, being immune to Bolt Strike and being able to take a few Outrage attacks and then retaliating with a strong Ground-type attack. However, it does need to be wary of the Mixed Set, as it can be taken down by a Draco Meteor. Landorus-T is in the same boat as Groudon as far as Zekrom checks go; it can Intimidate upon switch-in to lower the Attack Stat of Zekrom by one stage, but needs to watch out for the Mixed Set's powerful Special Attacking moves. Resisting both of its STAB moves, Ferrothorn can be a potent check to Zekrom. If Zekrom is Substitute + Hone Claws or the Mixed Set with Focus Blast, however, Ferrothorn will lose the one on one battle. Arceus-Ground can be a great counter to Zekrom, as it can take a hit, and outrun and OHKO with a strong Earthquake or Judgment.

Thanks for reading this analysis on Zekrom. Please point out any mistakes and give some suggestions to improve the analysis.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  2. puregenius

puregenius :<

Pretty complete, but still a few things to fix.

General

Mention Zekrom has the raw power to 2hko all common fairies with Scarf Bolt Strike, which basically translates to Fairies can't switch in freely, unlike most Dragons.

252 Atk Teravolt Zekrom Bolt Strike vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Arceus-Fairy: 202-238 (45.4 - 53.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Despite this both of Zekrom's STABs have common immunities (Ground and Fairy), meaning he can't spam recklessly until late game.

Choice Band

Not a huge fan of Jolly Band Zek just because you lose the ability to 2hko defensive Groudon without residual damage:

252 Atk Choice Band Teravolt Zekrom Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Groudon: 186-219 (46 - 54.2%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
    252 Atk Choice Band Teravolt Zekrom Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Groudon: 186-219 (46 - 54.2%) -- 48.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
    252+ Atk Choice Band Teravolt Zekrom Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Groudon: 204-241 (50.4 - 59.6%) -- 84% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I'd probably have Adamant as the primary option

Hone Claws

Not sure if this deserves a mention just because Ferro isn't nearly as popular as it was in Gen 5, who was the primary set up target. I guess it does pretty well against Aegis, either way I'd like a second opinion on the viability of this set.

OO

Take out Mixed Zek from OO because it definitely deserves it's own set. Add something like this:

Zekrom @ Life Orb
    EVs: 252 Atk / 92 SAtk / 164 Spd
    Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
    - Bolt Strike
    - Draco Meteor
    - Dragon Claw/ Tailwind
    - Focus Blast/ Tailwind

EVs maximises Atk power for Bolt Strike, lets you outspeed 0 speed Lugia before Tailwind and Scarf Terra (fastest common scarfer) after and enough SpA to 2hko Groudon and Ferro with Draco and Focus respectively. You could pull this into 2 sets (mixed and Tailwind), but you break most things well enough with this set anyway. The option to run Volt Switch on pure mixed atker is pretty cool for momentum i guess.

CC

Lando-T is similar to Groudon as it walls Scarf sets, but it is also wrecked by Band Outrage and Draco.

3. Ramiel

Ramiel On our backs. In our hearts.

PO Trainer Name:
    Gurren Lagann
    Sup Radu :)
    Definitely add the Mixed Wallbreaker set. It's as good as Mixed Rayquaza. PG posted a good enough set, so I don't have anything to argue with that.

Try adding a Good Partners option part? I always enjoyed the teambuilding advice gained from them.
    I'd recommend Groudon, which can tank physical Outrages and Earthquakes aimed at Zek, and Ho-oh since Ferrothorn is a free switch in for Ho-oh. It also tanks Ice beams aimed at Zek while Zek tanks Thunders aimed at Ho-oh. Dialga can deal with Palkias, which outpaces Zekroms, while helping ward off Xerneas without the Focus Blast.

4. Epikhairz

Epikhairz Delta Stream

PO Trainer Name:
    Epikhairz
    Good Partners = Synergy js

but yeah definetly add it if u want to it makes the analysis just a whole lot better

5. ZoroDark

ZoroDark i know everything

Choice Scarf is easily Zekrom's best set and should be the first in the analysis. Tbh I'd just drop Hone Claws to OO, since it's really only for Ferro who doesn't get as much usage anymore. A LO Focus Blast from the Tailwind set (which should really be added, just take pg's) hurts it as well and is actually viable outside of that job. Mention Bulky ground types as a whole, all of Groudon, Groundceus, Lando-T and Hippowdon fare decently well against it even if they don't like Draco Meteor or Banded Outrages. Mention Fairy types being gay to it, but most of them fear Bolt Strike so checks at best. I think that's about it

6. Fixed

Fixed Active Member

I don't think Dragon Claw on the scarf set is good, it's just too weak. I'd do

- Bolt Strike
    - Outrage
    - Volt Switch
    - Sleep Talk / Draco Meteor / Fusion Bolt

Draco Meteor works as a dragon move that doesn't lock you in, and has the added benefit of luring Groudon and especially Landorus-T. Sleep Talk is also good here, because you immediately get to outspeed Darkrai and either kill it or Volt Switch out. Fusion Bolt may be useful sometimes for accuracy or avoiding King's Shield.

You should probably also mention Adamant somewhere, as it gets the OHKO on Palkia and 2HKO on more defensive Arceus. Jolly lets you beat Deoxys-A and other scarfers though.

7. Shadow Sneak

Shadow Sneak came in like

PO Trainer Name:
    Shadow Sneak
    Why am I always last

Small grammar error there, as for the content looks good, I couldn't suggest anything .-.

8. -Leon-

-Leon- bae <3

PO Trainer Name:
    -Leon-
    Scarf should be put before Band as it's more viable and is pretty much one of the best scarfers this gen. Tailwind should be mentioned. Probably mention physically defensive Whimsicott as a check as it can subseed stall, and stuff that switches after Zekrom. Also adamant atleast deserves a slash on scarf as only other scarfer it competes with is Kyogre. Mention it has gotten better than last gen as it can threaten fairy switch ins with bolt strike, checks Yveltal which is a major threat, and also revenge kill stuff like Mewtwo-Y and dragons etc.

9. Raducan

Updated! If I missed anything, or you guys want something added/fixed, please let me know!

10. Fixed

Fixed Active Member

Any comments on this? You still have Dragon Claw on the scarf set. And I think you shouldn't slash Volt Switch with anything, it should always be on the scarf set. Also, you should probably mention somewhere that the banded set 2HKOs defensive Groudon and Landorus-T.

11. ZoroDark

Change the Scarf set to this and you're good:

Zekrom @ Choice Scarf
    Jolly / Adamant Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Bolt Strike
    - Outrage
    - Volt Switch
    - Sleep Talk / Draco Meteor

Sleep Talk fucks up Darkrai which is always nice, while Draco Meteor is way better than Dragon Claw because it does around 50% to Lando-T and Groudon even uninvested which allows you to run over them with Outrage next time. You need to change your nature to either -Def if you want to check Kyogre or -SpDef if you want to check Ekiller.

EDIT: also fusion bolt doesn't deserve more than a mention in OO

12. Hack

Hack Well-Known Member

Adamant>>>Jolly guys

13. Raducan

Okay I updated, guys look over please.

14. Shadow Sneak

Shadow Sneak came in like

PO Trainer Name:
    Shadow Sneak
    Mention that Ferrothorn is practically set up bait for Hone Claws Zekrom and with that I will be the first to Approve (1/3)

15. Joeypals!!

Joeypals!! Don't you worry 'bout a thing~

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    I'll try to go more in-depth later, but I see a general visual later.

While this sentence is a fine transition, the main issue is that he Choice Scarf set comes before the Choice Band in your layout, making for an awkward reference and could throw readers in a loop. Either flip the order of the Band and Scarf sets in the thread or change the position of the two sets.

16. Raducan

Updated.

17. Ramiel

Ramiel On our backs. In our hearts.

PO Trainer Name:
    Gurren Lagann
    I wouldn't mention Draco Meteor on the Scarf set since it really doesn't do too much without a Life Orb imo. If you do plan on adding it though, make sure to input the Naughty/Naive/Hasty/Lonely nature so you don't lose power for Draco Meteor.

18. Fixed

Fixed Active Member

Nah, Draco Meteor is pretty good. It lets you hit Ground types without locking you in, and does decent damage without investment as most Ground types are physically defensive. I agree use Naughty nature though (idk why you'd ever want ekiller to OHKO you).

19. ZoroDark

because zekrom is sometimes used as the only check to kyogre on offensive teams and it's gonna be poor at that with a -spdef nature. just mention that in the set imo

adamant is better than jolly so i'd front slash that, the extra power is really neat whereas the extra speed usually isn't that handy

mention hp ice in oo. it's a potent move on every set to lure in lando-t/gliscor and i honestly prefer it over draco meteor

just do those small things and qc approved :)

20. Raducan

Okay done.