1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

Enforced TI length in Team Builder

Discussion in 'Implemented' started by Homura, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Homura

Homura Member

The rules such as maximum length, valid characters, and no empty clan tag are all enforced in the name slot well enough, but what about in the Trainer Information? It is kind of annoying that sometimes the TI just doesn't appear fully on the server when in the Team Builder's Trainer Information text box, it's all there. The only way to get longer ones to fit right is to keep saving/loading the profile and switching between windows in order to see if it's all there.

Would it be possible to have the text box in the teambuilder enforce a maximum length on the teambuilder?

2. Fuzzysqurl

Fuzzysqurl baa baa mareep I do what I want Server Owner Developer I do what I want Server Owner Developer

The Challenge window that displays the Trainer Information is re-sizable, and can hold different amounts of text.

Also, you can just challenge yourself to see your Trainer Info box, assuming the whole "switching between windows" meant you were challenging off another name.

3. Crystal Moogle

Crystal Moogle Ayaya~

PO Trainer Name:
    Hanako
  4. Fuzzysqurl

Fuzzysqurl baa baa mareep I do what I want Server Owner Developer I do what I want Server Owner Developer

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  5. Crystal Moogle

Crystal Moogle Ayaya~

PO Trainer Name:
    Hanako
    It sounds like he doesn't want the ability to type more than 300 characters in the teambuilder.

6. Homura

Homura Member

That is correct, Crystal Moogle. I've had times when the HTML for the gradient and images would take up so much space, any text (or remaining HTML) on the end have been clipped.

Also, by switching between windows, I mean having teambuilder on one side and some server on the other. Looking for where to remove unnecessary spaces and reword often can take a dozen or so cycles through saving the TI, loading it on a server, and challenging myself. As someone who often makes TI's for other people, I feel it would be nicer to have that limit.

It seems since the code is already there in the username box, it wouldn't be hard to do a little copy-pasting for the TI.

7. ZodiaK

ZodiaK Get the fuck off my porch

I completely second this notion as i create a lot of TI's and a few others that i know also do so as well and it can be quite time consuming to have to reload ur TI's over and over to see the difference since we don't see when the character cutoff occurs.

Also, I'd like to request that this 300 character length is to be increased by a bit because 300 isn't very much space when taking into account the use of gradiants, pathway directories for images and the likes. It really constricts building TI profiles and I'm sure Homura and many others would agree with this. Maybe 500 char length? but knowing when we hit the cutoff would nonetheless be useful.

8. big ed

big ed bulk is tacky

yea deff would be awesome to have, some of my favorite TI just can cut off before i add the finishing touch, like some text, another mon etc.

9. Slayer

Slayer The Beast Incarnate

PO Trainer Name:
    Slayer
    I agree with this suggestion, because my current TI is too long too, but i only have background 1 poke and my ranking. I also think that i would not be a big deal to change it

10. DarkTar

DarkTar Member

Completely aggre with this, i make TIs with zodiak and we have these problems, first we reach the top, and we didnt know, until we finish...
    too, more charaters will be very nice, that would give more space for more worked TIs

and i have other suggestion, is something more "advanced", me and zodiak was trying other kinds of TI, using advance html, but PO doesnt support it, cuz is a basic html, maybe a complete html would be a very nice option, but first, the first suggestion is primordial

11. xIce-

xIce- Banned

PO Trainer Name:
    I also agree with zodiak about increasing the length from 300. It's always fun to dabble with the TI and come up with endless possibilities. But with the current character length, it's just not enough. the background art consumes much of the characters anyways. A little more character won't hurt. It would also be nice if you could add a character count somewhere, or a button so that we know how much character is left.

12. Gol D. Roger

Gol D. Roger Key to Progression

PO Trainer Name:
    Gol D. Roger
    I have to agree with everybody above here on the increased character limit, if it's possible to increase the space available for TIs that would be excellent. I've had every sort of trainer info, from multiple 'Mons to colored backgrounds, and nothing is more annoying than creating what SHOULD be a kickass info, but that ends up being too long by 100 characters. The TI Coding is just too complex to limit it to only 300 characters, so if we could increase the amount of characters that can be used I'm sure a lot of players would appreciate it.

13. ZodiaK

ZodiaK Get the fuck off my porch

I gave this a little more thought after viewing some things written here and just reflection, enforcing the TI box limit isn't neccessarily the issue. It's actually quite nice having the box with space to edit the html codes freely but it would be really helpful if there was some sort of character counter feature that maybe displayed: "273/300" current/max characters feature. And just the obvious, that the 300 char limit needs to be pushed higher :)

14. Fuzzysqurl

Let's stay on topic guys.

The thread is about having a restriction that prevents you from adding more character to the TI than is allowed. There was never any mention of increased length being a solution to this, nor is this actually a solution to the problem at hand. There are no plans currently to increase the length, so you'll just have to live with it being the way it's always been.

The way the server handles it is that it cuts off any length over 300 characters, but still allows you to put more than 300 characters in the box. The Name box actually prevents you from adding more than X characters, so the fix is most likely copying the same parameter over, but changing the X. I didn't have any success in finding that parameter when I looked the other night, but I only scratched the surface of the coding.

The suggestion for the character count is actually something I was thinking of too, similar to how phones use a character count for text messages.

15. Crystal Moogle

Crystal Moogle Ayaya~

PO Trainer Name:
    Hanako