1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[BW2] Fists of Fury: Fighting types in UU

Discussion in 'Gen 5 UU' started by Dr. Doom, Aug 1, 2013.

?

Which is your favourite UU Fighting type?

1. Heracross

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  2. Mienshao

11 vote(s)
    28.9%
  3. Machamp

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. Cobalion

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  5. Virizion

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  6. Scrafty

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  7. Hitmontop

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom Long time hater of stall

Fighting is one of the best STABs around. It hits 5 types for super effective damage, with only 3 resisting it and only 1 being immune. And in UU, Fighting types rule the roost. If you make a UU team that has trouble with Fighting types, it will fail. Fact. There are a loads of Fighting types in UU for you to choose from. With so many to choose from, each of them needs a Unique Selling Point: either something it does that its rivals don't, or something it does noticeably better than its rivals. Without further ado, let's look at the candidates.

Heracross
    [​IMG]
    Type: Bug/Fighting
    Ability(s): Swarm/Guts/Moxie
    Stats: 80, 125, 75, 40, 95, 85

Heracross has not 1 but 2 120 power STAB moves. STAB Megahorn lets it destroy Slowbro, normally a full stop to most of UU's physically inclined Fighting types. While most Pokémon run a Choice Scarf set with the aim of revenge killing, Heracross's Choice Scarf set is a revenge killer and a physical sweeper in one: the boosts from Moxie make it very dangerous late game. But while Moxie is great, don't forget about Guts - it gives it free switch ins on Toxics and Will-O-Wisps, which combined with the aforementioned STAB Megahorn let the Guts sets destroy physically defensive Mew which other Fighting types live in fear of. While its Speed and bulk are average at best, that hasn't stopped Heracross becoming one of UU's most popular Pokémon.

Mienshao
    [​IMG]
    Type: Fighting
    Ability(s): Inner Focus/Regenerator/Reckless
    Stats: 65, 125, 60, 95, 60, 105

With the same Attack as Heracross backed up by a usable special attack stat and one of the best speed tiers in UU, Mienshao is a Pokémon you have to prepare for. It regularly dukes it out with Heracross for the title of UU's most popular Fighting type, and it's not hard to see why. Regenerator makes it very difficult to wear down, while Reckless gives it a Hi Jump Kick with a whopping 234 power (factoring in STAB). With Hidden Power Ice, it can even dispatch Gligar who other Fighting types have a tough time dealing with. Like Heracross, it can sweep with a Choice Scarf set - even without a boosting item, the monumental power of a Reckless boosted Hi Jump Kick coming off a 125 base Attack can plough through teams late game. Mienshao can also be a general wallbreaker with Life Orb and a sweeper with Swords Dance. It can even support its team with Baton Pass, able to pass Substitute, Swords Dance, Work Up and Calm Mind. While it sounds too good to be true though, it has a few faults. It lives in fear of most Ghost types, and while it can certainly bring the pain it sure as hell can't take it.

Machamp
    [​IMG]
    Ability(s): Guts/No Guard/Steadfast
    Stats: 90, 130, 80, 65, 85, 55

Having the highest Attack of all the Fighting types in UU is certainly a good place to start. But don't think it ends there for Machamp. OU for most of the first 4 generations, now Machamp lives to wreck terror in UU. These days its USP is its ability No Guard. While no longer exclusive, Machamp is still by far and away the best user. Thanks to No Guard, Dynamicpunch goes from a gimmick to a terrifying attack to switch into - not only will it do heavy damage to anything not resisting it, it will also confuse the target. Therefore, the opponent has a choice - stay in, and risk confusion damage or switch out and possibly give Machamp a turn of set up. It has a decent movepool as well, with Dynamicpunch being backed up by Stone Edge (which also greatly benefits from No Guard), Ice Punch, Thunderpunch and Payback. However it is slow and has only just above average bulk.

Virizion
    [​IMG]
    Type: Grass/Fighting
    Ability(s): Justified
    Stats: 91, 90, 72, 90, 129, 108

In UU you can't go 3 battles without seeing a Fighting type. So how can Virizion stand out in such a crowded competitive environment? Well for a kick off, its Grass typing gives it STAB Leaf Blade, which means its Swords Dance set has the ability to smash straight through physical tanks like Swampert, Slowbro and Milotic. But then Virizion keeps going, with the ability to run a completely different special attacking set using Calm Mind. This diversity makes it much less predictable than many of its rivals, and therefore harder to counter. 108 Speed also puts it above most of the tier, with only Crobat and Tornadus able to outpace without using a Choice Scarf. Its Grass typing helps it defensively too, giving it nice resistance to Water, Ground, Grass and Electric moves. However, it isn't all that powerful before boosting and a X4 weakness to Flying is not ideal.

Scrafty
    [​IMG]
    Type: Dark/Fighting
    Ability(s): Shed Skin/Moxie/Intimidate
    Stats: 65, 90, 115, 45, 115, 58

A lot of people have wanted a Dark/Fighting Type Pokémon. In Gen 5, they finally got one. And Scrafty...wasn't quite what they had in mind. Gen 5 was very hit and miss from a design point of view, and Scrafty was commonly regarded as a miss. However, people quickly looked beneath its design and soon found it to be a great Pokémon. Its STAB moves alone hit all of UU (bar Heracross) for neutral damage. Speaking of moves, it also gets the improved Hi Jump Kick and excellent boosting moves in Dragon Dance and Bulk Up. This gave it 2 very effective sets, which combined with its 2 great abilities (Moxie makes it a terrifying sweeper once it gets going while Shed Skin lets it shrug off status) keeps it out of the low tiers. Flying and Fighting moves are quite common in UU though, and while Scrafty is pretty bulky it's by no means immortal.

Hitmontop
    [​IMG]
    Ability(s): Intimidate/ Technician/ Steadfast
    Stats: 50, 95, 95, 35, 110, 70

Hitmontop is used almost exclusively as a Rapid Spinner. That's a valuable niche right there, and with Foresight it can prevent more defensive Ghosts from blocking its Rapid Spin. Removing entry hazards is a very important job: indeed, for Pokémon like Yanmega and Choice Chandelure it is integral to their success. It does have its uses beyond Rapid Spinning: with Intimidate it can stop a lot of physical sweepers from doing their thing and act as a great check to Pokémon like physical Sharpedo and Dragon Dance Scrafty. UU is not a friendly home for Hitmontop though these days - Zapdos, Crobat, Togekiss, Azelf, Mew and Metagross have all descended from OU (or Ubers in Mew's case) into UU, and new threats have arrived in the form of Cofagrigus, Chandelure, Reuinclus and Vicinti.

Cobalion
    [​IMG]
    Type: Steel/Fighting
    Ability(s): Justified
    Stats: 91, 90, 129, 90, 72, 108

Cobalion probably has the hardest time standing out of all the Fighting types in UU. Its Attack stats aren't that high, and while its Steel typing gives it a plethora of resistances it also gives it common weaknesses to Ground, Fighting and Fire moves. However, it does have a niche - of all the Fighting types in UU it's the only one that doesn't fear Flying types. While Crobat scares out Scrafty, Virizion and most Heracross and Mienshao, Cobalion can take anything it has and OHKO with a boosted Stone Edge or Hidden Power Ice. Speaking of boosting moves, like Virizion it can run physical and special sets equally well. It can also set up Stealth Rock, and although it faces stiff competition from Bronzong it has better speed and Taunt to set it apart. While it may be struggling to hang onto its place in UU, it can still be very effective if used correctly.

So there are UU's Fighting types. They can all be brilliant with the right support, and very rarely will they not be effective on your team. While the Fighting type was a joke in Gen 3, nobody's laughing now.

Sidenote:
    Yes I know Meloetta's alternate forme is part Fighting type - however, most people who run Meloetta leave it as a special attacker. I've tried the Relic Song set, and it was OK but nothing special. True it got through Snorlax quicker but besides that the special sets are usually better.
    I'm also going to make a similar thread about the Psychic types in NU (leaving out the shitty ones like Grumpig and Unown obviously). I didn't include movesets because I thought you guys would already know them anyway, and frankly I couldn't be bothered. Do you think I should include them in the Psychic type thread?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  2. ZoroDark

ZoroDark i know everything

I can't believe you didn't mention Mienshao :O Otherwise, nice article.

3. Dr. Doom

I did include it, but when I was deleting the sets I must've got over zealous. My bad. Oh well, it's in now.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  4. Yagura

Yagura

PO Trainer Name:
    Yagura
    Wow, nice article. It obviously took you some time to make. But.. How dare you forget about Gallade?!! >~~<

5. Xinc

Xinc Time for Oras?

I personally enjoy Virizion's presence more. It is the only fighting type Pokemon who can attack specially and regain its health with Giga Drain (as contrast to Cobalion, who cannot regain health outside of Leftovers) and can nail down a good number of Pokemon with either STAB moves or HP Ice/Rock.

6. Epikhairz

Epikhairz Delta Stream

PO Trainer Name:
    Epikhairz
    Machamp is deffinetly underrated. Nice to see it getting a mention here, though Scrafty iss baws :3

7. Dr. Doom

Gallade is LU. While it's a demon there sadly UU is above its weight with Chandelure, Tornadus, Togekiss and Crobat all waiting to smash it up.

And thanks very much, I enjoy making these articles.

8. Liarliarpantsonfire

Liarliarpantsonfire Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Liarliarpantsonfire
    I think Cobalion is very underrated but then again it is also pretty much outclassed by Virizion because of Slowbro being so common :x It does take on Crobat better.

9. Spoovo The Pirate

Spoovo The Pirate Meep! Article Contributor Article Contributor

Surprised there's no Volt Switch mention with Cobalion? It definitely makes him stand out from the tier's other Fighting-types, by quite a margin. Intimidate is also extremely useful with Scrafty as well, turning him into a potent physical wall that even super effective moves can't break easily:

-1 192 Atk Crobat Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Scrafty: 128-152 (38.32 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Just an example.

10. Dr. Doom

Intimidate's a great ability, but since Scrafty has no reliable recovery there are better mons to use for a wall set. Also, Shed Skin and Moxie are just better for what Scrafty needs to do.

11. Fille

Fille True GenderBender

PO Trainer Name:
    N/A
    Really good article, and I hope to see more ilke this from you Doom :]

You mentioned that Heracross is the only viable choice scarf Sweeper, while the other pokes can only act as revengekillers, but Mienshao got just as good sweeping potential with HJK, having an easier time getting the first KO. They both need some pokemons to be weakened either way.

12. Dr. Doom

You make a very good point - I'll make a mention.

Glad you enjoyed it. I'm writing a similar article on Psychic types in NU at the moment.

13. Virizion

Virizion ~ Taste the Rainbow ~

PO Trainer Name:
    Virizion
    Virizion can also run a rare yet deadly Work Up set which SOMALIA proved to be effective on his Battle Series (The PO one, not his channel one) and not just a Swords Dance one. :O

Anyways, all Fighting-types in UU are excellent and all have some unique quality which makes them special. Mienshao can be a scout with U-Turn + Regenerator or a deadly but fast physical attacker with Reckless. Heracross can prove a nice revenge-killer with Moxie + Choice Scarf, Scrafty can be an effective defensive threat, Virizion can take out many of those bulky Water-types, Cobalion while underrated has a unique Steel-typing where it can set-up Stealth Rock and is the only musketeers with access to Volt Switch, incredibly useful on a VoltTurn team and can be really...interesting.. when paired up with the Choice Specs item equipped. Machamp has a great ability in No guard, to SubPunch and Hitmontop can spin and annoy physical attackers with Intimidate. Fighting-types are certainly good in Gen 5 UU.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  14. Metal Sonic

Metal Sonic It's no use!

15. Fille

Fille True GenderBender

PO Trainer Name:
    N/A
  16. Dr. Doom

Hitmonlee struggles in UU. Generally Mienshao can do what it does better. Unburden is a nice niche, but it struggles with the Ghost types.

17. Aurist

Aurist I do not jump for joy. I frolic in doubt.

Hitmonlee only really struggles with Cofagrigus, like all Fightings really - Liechi Reversal set just decimates absolutely everything. Fighting Gem set is good too.

18. Dr. Doom

The Leichi Reversal set can be effective, but it's kind of a one shot deal. If it gets forced out, it'll never have another chance. Ditto for the Fighting Gem set. Hitmonlee's great in LU but UU sadly is above its reach.

19. Aurist

Aurist I do not jump for joy. I frolic in doubt.

I don't agree. It's as effective a late game sweeper as any other in UU, and is useful simply for some revenging in the meantime, which other late game sweepers in UU can't claim. It has more than one use at any given time. It's a sorely underrated pokemon, and one that is definitely worth at least occasionally using in UU.

20. Celebi.

Celebi. Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    SheerForceGatr/Bulba
    If you're being forced to switch after your boosts you're using it wrong. That Hitmonlee is an incredible late game sweeper. I completely agree with Aurist here. I think Scrafty also deserves honorable mention here. Both the DD and Bulk Up sets can be quite devastating. I would love to see more use in this guy. He is quite simply amazing. One of the best base stats in UU.

21. Fille

Fille True GenderBender

PO Trainer Name:
    N/A
    Mienshao...

22. Rake

Rake Banned

Ddance Scrafty is perfection.

23. Fille

Fille True GenderBender

PO Trainer Name:
    N/A
    [​IMG]
    BulkHulk (Scrafty) (M) @ Lum Berry / Leftovers
    Trait: Shed Skin
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Dragon Dance
    - Crunch
    - Drain Punch
    - Taunt

Possibly the best Scrafty set. Stallbreaker and a late game sweeper, beats heavy walls like Gligar, Suicune, Slowbro and Registeel 1v1.
    Credits for this set goes to Nikitas, genious UU player!

Also posted on the bottom of page 2 in the "Cool stuff to use in UU" thread.

SMH, Heracross is more popular than Mienshao. NOOBS >: (No offense :3)

24. Dr. Doom

That does seem like a good set, although wouldn't Leftovers be better than Lum Berry? Since that set has Shed Skin status problems wouldn't be an issue.

25. Fille

Fille True GenderBender

PO Trainer Name:
    N/A
    Bluffing is decent yk. Those free DDs (+2/+2 on a wasted para and a para which will be cured by shed skin) ! :]

26. Amon

Amon Normal User

PO Trainer Name:
    Phillipx or Phillipz
    Very nice thread. We should do another one for water and such.